What's new

Rudy is DPOY for the second year in a row

Yeah you're just wrong man. Aside from that DPOY is a regular season award, Rudy was spectacular the last three games of that series, as was the Jazz defense as a whole. It was our ridiculously poor shooting that did us in.

This. Conley should help rectify those deficiencies to a large degree. Utah still needs some shooters, but we can grab some with vet mins and such.

Yeah you're just wrong man. Aside from that DPOY is a regular season award, Rudy was spectacular the last three games of that series, as was the Jazz defense as a whole. It was our ridiculously poor shooting that did us in.
Again, IMHO, as basketball is team game, then DPOY title is little bit overrated. I.e IMHO it is pretty hard to 100% prove whether the win achived by team is a result of good offense or good defense. Shouldn't somebody, who receives a DPOY title, be equally good anyway even if the offense is poor? If Leonard, Curry, Harden, Westbrook and even Adams or Capela are not afraid of you - how is the DPOY title then justified?
He wasn’t a non-factor. We didn’t lose that series because of defense — did you watch it?
Wouldn't the Jazz win the series if he had a la 2 or 3 times more blocks and steals; as person who receives the DPOY award, shouldn't he able to do it? Even if the shots do not fall - how does that prevent to have extraordinary defense? Yes, i did not watched the full games - but several times it seemed to me (based on does so called Full Highlight Videos) that he even does not try to attempt to jump to block the close shot or layup. How is 13 blocks per 5 games an extraordinary achievement when your team loses the series? Houston made 183 field goals for the series - wasn't there plenty of material for more blocks?

He also got a vote for MVP!

b86qv25vkf631.jpg
Damn Gobert was tied with Lebron for MVP voting!

Also, wow did Kawhi get screwed over on the voting. He should have been 2nd place. He was the best player on the best team in the NBA even in the regular season. I guess he did miss 22 games as I am typing that, so maybe not. Still the voting is silly. PG and Jokic are too high. Westbrook getting a vote this year is beyond silly as well.

Damn Gobert was tied with Lebron for MVP voting!

Also, wow did Kawhi get screwed over on the voting. He should have been 2nd place. He was the best player on the best team in the NBA even in the regular season. I guess he did miss 22 games as I am typing that, so maybe not. Still the voting is silly. PG and Jokic are too high. Westbrook getting a vote this year is beyond silly as well.
The Raptors went 17-5 when Kawhi rested. Kawhi had a really good playoff run, but that Raptors team was stacked.

When LeBron got hurt for 17 games, the Lakers went from 4th place in the west to completely out of playoff contention. To me, that's more of a sign of an MVP.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Again, IMHO, as basketball is team game, then DPOY title is little bit overrated. I.e IMHO it is pretty hard to 100% prove whether the win achived by team is a result of good offense or good defense. Shouldn't somebody, who receives a DPOY title, be equally good anyway even if the offense is poor? If Leonard, Curry, Harden, Westbrook and even Adams or Capela are not afraid of you - how is the DPOY title then justified?

Wouldn't the Jazz win the series if he had a la 2 or 3 times more blocks and steals; as person who receives the DPOY award, shouldn't he able to do it? Even if the shots do not fall - how does that prevent to have extraordinary defense? Yes, i did not watched the full games - but several times it seemed to me (based on does so called Full Highlight Videos) that he even does not try to attempt to jump to block the close shot or layup. How is 13 blocks per 5 games an extraordinary achievement when your team loses the series? Houston made 183 field goals for the series - wasn't there plenty of material for more blocks?

Wow, this is a terrible take. Gobert was equally good even though the offense was bad. His defense was great. The Jazz have shut down Harden and Houston more than any team has ever in these playoffs.

Those players are/were afraid of Gobert, players avoided him in the paint like the plague. Harden hasnt been slowed down that much in awhile compared to what the Jazz did to him. He scored 27 ppg on 36% shooting. Most of that was the Jazz letting him drive freely at Gobert and Gobert shutting him down. Harden was much better against GS he shot 10% better against them. Oh Harden averaged 36 points per game on 44% shooting for the season FYI. A 12 point drop is pretty big.

Yes maybe if the Jazz played even better defense as a team they could have still won but that really wasnt our problem. No team completely shuts down another team defensively. No, Gobert cant just get 3 extra blocks in a game just because. There is stats to track the difference he makes and its huge. Players dont drive at him and teams avoid going inside because of him. Also blocks are a terrible stat to base his defense on.

The truth is if you just watched some highlights then you dont know what happened and dont have a good opinion on this. Maybe watch the whole games next time or at least not base your opinions on highlights.

The Raptors went 17-5 when Kawhi rested. Kawhi had a really good playoff run, but that Raptors team was stacked.

When LeBron got hurt for 17 games, the Lakers went from 4th place in the west to completely out of playoff contention. To me, that's more of a sign of an MVP.

I dont put a lot of stock in what teams do during short periods when their best player is out. Teams step up when they know its important and their best player is out. Toronto also had a really easy stretch of games when they rested him. That was done on purpose.

I dont put a lot of stock in what teams do during short periods when their best player is out. Teams step up when they know its important and their best player is out. Toronto also had a really easy stretch of games when they rested him. That was done on purpose.
The Raptors had a higher win percentage when Kawhi sat than when he played. He missed over 25% of the season. They lost one more regular season game last year than they lost the year before.

We get all riled up in the moment when players do something great, but Kawhi did not have an MVP level regular season. Not really close actually.

The Raptors had a higher win percentage when Kawhi sat than when he played. He missed over 25% of the season. They lost one more regular season game last year than they lost the year before.

We get all riled up in the moment when players do something great, but Kawhi did not have an MVP level regular season. Not really close actually.

Again he sat for the easy games/stretch. Either way his season was much better than Paul George and his 6th place team in the West/ 10th best in the NBA.

Even the good teams they played during his missed games were well timed. Like when they played the Jazz without Kawhi was when Mitchell was out. Or when they played Lakers without Lebron, or Bucks without Giannis. There is more than just schedule during missed games.

Again he sat for the easy games/stretch. Either way his season was much better than Paul George and his 6th place team in the West/ 10th best in the NBA.

Even the good teams they played during his missed games were well timed. Like when they played the Jazz without Kawhi was when Mitchell was out. Or when they played Lakers without Lebron, or Bucks without Giannis. There is more than just schedule during missed games.
We can dissect his games off all we want. His team went 17-5 without him. He sat for 22 games. He has no right to an MVP.

If an NFL QB played in 12 of 16 games and his team goes 8-4 with him and 3-1 without him, he won't be discussed for the MVP because he shouldn't. Doesn't matter if his team played the Jets and Dolphins in those 4 games.

PG played in 17 more regular season games in a harder conference. He led the league in steals. He was a better regular season MVP candidate than Kawhi.

We can dissect his games off all we want. His team went 17-5 without him. He sat for 22 games. He has no right to an MVP.

If an NFL QB played in 12 of 16 games and his team goes 8-4 with him and 3-1 without him, he won't be discussed for the MVP because he shouldn't. Doesn't matter if his team played the Jets and Dolphins in those 4 games.

PG played in 17 more regular season games in a harder conference. He led the league in steals. He was a better regular season MVP candidate than Kawhi.

He did miss too many games to win the MVP. The right player won the MVP Giannis. But again the W/L is not a factor though. His team even without him was favored in almost every game. They should have won those. PG did not play well enough and his team did not win enough to be a factor. Steals is a silly stat to base MVP on. Its not a good stat for anything on.

Steph, Durant, Lillard, Kawhi, Kemba, and maybe others should have been higher than PG. Westbrook was terrible this year and also should not have got any votes.

But this is the problem with having media vote for these things. Most of those guys just vote for their hometown guys.

Wow, this is a terrible take. Gobert was equally good even though the offense was bad. His defense was great. The Jazz have shut down Harden and Houston more than any team has ever in these playoffs.

Those players are/were afraid of Gobert, players avoided him in the paint like the plague. Harden hasnt been slowed down that much in awhile compared to what the Jazz did to him. He scored 27 ppg on 36% shooting. Most of that was the Jazz letting him drive freely at Gobert and Gobert shutting him down. Harden was much better against GS he shot 10% better against them. Oh Harden averaged 36 points per game on 44% shooting for the season FYI. A 12 point drop is pretty big.

Yes maybe if the Jazz played even better defense as a team they could have still won but that really wasnt our problem. No team completely shuts down another team defensively. No, Gobert cant just get 3 extra blocks in a game just because. There is stats to track the difference he makes and its huge. Players dont drive at him and teams avoid going inside because of him. Also blocks are a terrible stat to base his defense on.

The truth is if you just watched some highlights then you dont know what happened and dont have a good opinion on this. Maybe watch the whole games next time or at least not base your opinions on highlights.
I want to 10X "like" this post. Can't believe it's even necessary or wtf @lauriandres is going on about.

Shouldn't the DPOY be awarded to a player who keeps the opponent's best player in single digits or at least forces a terrible shot selection and shooting pct.?
Rudy won DPOY for causing the largest reduction in the scoring efficiency of the opposing team. Note that I am highlighting his impact on the entire team rather than just the ability to shut down a single player. Rudy is a very good one-on-one defender, but he is an elite team defender. So while he can't be assigned to guard Harden, his paint dominance allows Harden's defender to guard him from behind (because if he drives Rudy will clean it up).

Dictionary meaning: you can be the best defender out there, you can double your status of being the best defender in the game that has both offense and defense; but no sir, you still cannot be an All-Star.

I can’t wait for that matchup! Rudy is gonna eat your lunch, bitch!
I wonder why so many players attacked Rudy for crying. I didnt hear anyone making fun of all the draft picks that cried, or of Giannis crying when he accepted the MVP award.

I wonder why so many players attacked Rudy for crying. I didnt hear anyone making fun of all the draft picks that cried, or of Giannis crying when he accepted the MVP award.

Because he cried for not getting something.

Crying for accomplishing something stems from a completely different emotion.

Gobert is special. One nice thing about Conley is that he’s known as a star player from a primarily defensive team. Hopefully, he can help alleviate some of the offensive burden while still improving the team’s overall defense. Worst dentist appointment ever. Take grit ‘n grind to the extreme.

I still remember the furious ending to the 2014/15 season and how insane the defense was to finish that year. I definitely want more of that. . . please and thank you.