What's new

Rudy to Hawks Speculation

I don't want to pay the $14 million extra. If we weren't in a cap limited time of COVID, I might be more willing. We have zero idea what's going to happen going forward. I think the election might keep things more restricted for the next season and maybe beyond. Regardless, we simply don't know. But giving Rudy almost $150 million (counting this year) for the next 5 years is amazing.

You make good points about his trade value, but Atlanta is one of those teams with nothing to lose. Rudy fixes such a large portion of their issues of taking that next step. If we can't agree to a deal with Rudy because he wants more than we want to give, Atlanta is probably willing to pay the price since so much of their roster is on rookie deals for most of the next 4-5 years.
Wait... 14M over 4 years is too much and we need to make a franchise altering move over 3.5M per year? That does nothing for our cap situation and if Ryan's financials are that fragile he shouldn't own the team. 3.5M is like what teams sell a bad second round pick for. That's like a jersey patch deal. Qualtrics actually bought the jersey patch deal and donated it to 5 for the fight. It would be bad business to balk at 3.5M difference.

We won't have the Covid restrictions in a year imo... I think it has a small affect if any on the 2021-22 season. Might have to have a vaccine to attend or something but the vaccine is seemingly close. I actually think politicians can now govern somewhat intelligently with the election over. So unnecessary restrictions may be gone.

Atlanta has a ton to lose... if they give away the young talent they have bottomed out to get for a one year rental then every MFer in the front office is gone.

Wait... 14M over 4 years is too much and we need to make a franchise altering move over 3.5M per year? That does nothing for our cap situation and if Ryan's financials are that fragile he shouldn't own the team. 3.5M is like what teams sell a bad second round pick for. That's like a jersey patch deal. Qualtrics actually bought the jersey patch deal and donated it to 5 for the fight. It would be bad business to balk at 3.5M difference.

We won't have the Covid restrictions in a year imo... I think it has a small affect if any on the 2021-22 season. Might have to have a vaccine to attend or something but the vaccine is seemingly close. I actually think politicians can now govern somewhat intelligently with the election over. So unnecessary restrictions may be gone.

Atlanta has a ton to lose... if they give away the young talent they have bottomed out to get for a one year rental then every MFer in the front office is gone.

It is unwise to make any assumption on what the new owner will do. Even if we have the richest owner ever, we still have to work within a salary cap and build a team that fits under the luxury more times than not. I'm not worried about having the money for Rudy. I'm worried about having money to build around Don and Rudy.

I don't think we will be back to full capacity at any point during the 20-21 season. That will make a huge effect on the bottom line. Even if we have a vaccine, a large portion of the country won't take it due to possible side effects. It's not going to be a smooth transition.

Let's say Atlanta sends us Collins, Capella and Huerter straight up for Rudy. They still have Trae, Reddish, Hunter, Dedmon, a few other young guys and cap space to work with. It's not like we are taking every young guy they got. Like I said before, Atlanta wants to win now and all they have are good young pieces and Trae. If they added a great piece like Rudy, it makes all of their lives easier. Cam Reddish could have a field day playing off the Trae/Rudy PnR.

an extra 3.5M doesn't change cap planning or thinking... especially if it is used to retain one of your two most important players.

Atlanta would definitely do that deal because they win that trade imo. Collins Capela and Huerter for Rudy doesn't make us better imo and likely messes up the cap worse than Rudy's deal. Collins is extension eligible. Collins and Huerter haven't proved to help a team be better at winning basketball games. Collins puts up impressive numbers but he's a tricky fit on a good team. His next contract could be way worse than Rudy's.

Huerter is still just a theoretically good player. He's not actually good. The Hawks were a trash team in the EAST... so these young guys while somewhat promising are really just scratcher tickets that could be fairly worthless.

Long story short... I'd need the #6 with a similar package as outlined above... I'd rather have Rudy at 4/135M even with the pick.

I’ve spent way too much of my time scrolling through theoretical trades and the conclusion that I’ve come too is that IF we are put into a position where we trade Gobert scratcher tickets is about all we are going to get for him unfortunately. Conley seems to have a little more value round the league than I would have thought, though he did have a good playoff series for the most part. The problem is if your following strict salary cap protocol and trying to stay under the luxury it gets tricky moving Conley for anything more than another one year rental. If the owner is willing to pay out then we can swap Conley for something. No assumptions made regarding the new owner but he is local and also a fan...a supremely rich one at that. If I had his money and bought the jazz I would already be tinkering like Cuban does.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Side note is if smith is willing to go into the luxury to surround gobert and Mitchell with the best pieces the jazz have a fair amount of options to improve in what I still consider a very good team.

Atlanta is planning on being very aggressive this offseason. There have been rumors they might pursue Rudy. Below is one of many articles referencing the Rudy interest for Atlanta.

IF Rudy expects more in a contract than we are willing to give, I love a trade with Atlanta. For me, we would have to get back Huerter, Collins and Capella.

Huerter (22) is a lights out shooter at SG/SF. Our FO loved him in the draft. He spreads the floor. Bright future.

Collins (23) is emerging as a very good NBA PF. Can score and rebound really well. Bright future.

We all know Capella (26). Although clearly not as good defensively, he would fill in Rudy's role. Offensively, I think he can set the screens and finish at the rim.

We also probably get some draft compensation in the deal even if it's just a protected pick or multiple 2nds.

Yes, we take a step back from maybe being a 2nd or 3rd round team to fighting for the playoffs. However, I our long term prospects are really strong. Huerter and Collins could become All Star caliber players. Capella is a decent starting NBA center.

Remember, this is worth considering IF Rudy and the FO can't agree on a fair extension.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't hate it.

an extra 3.5M doesn't change cap planning or thinking... especially if it is used to retain one of your two most important players.

Atlanta would definitely do that deal because they win that trade imo. Collins Capela and Huerter for Rudy doesn't make us better imo and likely messes up the cap worse than Rudy's deal. Collins is extension eligible. Collins and Huerter haven't proved to help a team be better at winning basketball games. Collins puts up impressive numbers but he's a tricky fit on a good team. His next contract could be way worse than Rudy's.

Huerter is still just a theoretically good player. He's not actually good. The Hawks were a trash team in the EAST... so these young guys while somewhat promising are really just scratcher tickets that could be fairly worthless.

Long story short... I'd need the #6 with a similar package as outlined above... I'd rather have Rudy at 4/135M even with the pick.
If the hypothetical 4 year $135 deal was there with his approval AND Don wants him there too, then we probably do it and move on.

However, I think Collins, Huerter, and Capella with minor draft compensation is fair if Rudy wants too much or there are Don issues. Atlanta doesn't have Joe Ingles, Bojan, experience, a winning culture.

LoPo, why do you hate Rudy so much? That’s one of the worst trade ideas I’ve ever seen for Rudy Gobert. You’re an idiot if you think this is a good idea, oh and you pay Rudy whatever he wants. He’s a top ten player for hell sakes.
If you think we should give Rudy whatever he wants you are insane. What if he wants the supermax. That would be the stupidest thing the Jazz could do. If Rudy wants

If you think we should give Rudy whatever he wants you are insane. What if he wants the supermax. That would be the stupidest thing the Jazz could do. If Rudy wants
I dare you to find out what happens if he doesn’t resign. What move do you think will be more entertaining for fans, and how many more contracts will Mitchell sign if he can’t win here.

thoughts? You idiot!!

Without Gobert we basically have the worst defense in the history of the league, who’s our starting C? The fact that most don’t think he’s worth whatever he wants is both funny as hell and disturbing. It’s not like My approach would be handing a super max contract and asking him to sign it, but if negotiations don’t go my way, he’ll ya I’m giving in because he’s the ****ing life blood of this team. If he goes, so goes our pant offense and the only play we run in the pick’n roll

However, I think Collins, Huerter, and Capella with minor draft compensation is fair if Rudy wants too much or there are Don issues. Atlanta doesn't have Joe Ingles, Bojan, experience, a winning culture.
Fair for Atlanta by them getting the dollar for three quarters, fair for us that three quarters are better than none. Atlanta still wins that trade.

My two bits... (which are worth 4 bits these days - stocks are up).

I think that Gobert not having signed an extension and no word on the streets of an extension pending... is telling.

If we cannot agree to terms then clearly they will look for trade partners. I think we could do a lot worse than this trade. I also think we could do a lot better.

I like New Orleans, Atlanta, and possibly Chicago as trade partners.

Without Gobert we basically have the worst defense in the history of the league, who’s our starting C? The fact that most don’t think he’s worth whatever he wants is both funny as hell and disturbing. It’s not like My approach would be handing a super max contract and asking him to sign it, but if negotiations don’t go my way, he’ll ya I’m giving in because he’s the ****ing life blood of this team. If he goes, so goes our pant offense and the only play we run in the pick’n roll
We will bring Isaac Haas in as Rudy's replacement.

If we did this trade, our lineup looks like this:

Starting
Don, Royce, Bojan, Collins, Capella
Bench
Conley, Joe, Huerter, JC

Add a Favors to that lineup, and I like what I see.

My two bits... (which are worth 4 bits these days - stocks are up).

I think that Gobert not having signed an extension and no word on the streets of an extension pending... is telling.

If we cannot agree to terms then clearly they will look for trade partners. I think we could do a lot worse than this trade. I also think we could do a lot better.

I like New Orleans, Atlanta, and possibly Chicago as trade partners.
I mean except that they can’t negotiate or sign until FA opens After the draft and you don’t know that they aren’t close. Other than that spot on.

Fair for Atlanta by them getting the dollar for three quarters, fair for us that three quarters are better than none. Atlanta still wins that trade.
We got 0 quarters for Gordon. The whole idea of this trade is that Rudy is not staying. I agree that Rudy is the prize of the trade, but I like what Collins and Huerter can become.

I mean except that they can’t negotiate or sign until FA opens After the draft and you don’t know that they aren’t close. Other than that spot on.
Cmon man. You know that the organization has a great idea what Rudy's camp is expecting. Sure they can't announce the number, but I am kind of surprised we haven't had leaks of some sort if it was a forgone conclusion.

Cmon man. You know that the organization has a great idea what Rudy's camp is expecting. Sure they can't announce the number, but I am kind of surprised we haven't had leaks of some sort if it was a forgone conclusion.

Cmon man! Our organization doesn’t leak ****... only time you hear stuff is when other teams leak trade talks. What other teams have announced contract extensions or numbers? They know... they don’t have to tell us anything. I mean **** they sold the franchise and not one damn soul saw it coming so....

We got 0 quarters for Gordon. The whole idea of this trade is that Rudy is not staying. I agree that Rudy is the prize of the trade, but I like what Collins and Huerter can become.

John Collins is one of my favorite players in the league. He will be special throughout his career. I like him as a small 5 a bit more than as a 4 but he is dynamic and fun to watch. Him and Mitchell would bond quick.

And the “leaks” we have heard are Tony Jones and Zach Lowe sating they probably find something at least than the supermax... cmon man... pay attention to the leaks that you don’t like too... not just the rumorz from the Best Buy.