What's new

Rudy to Hawks Speculation

LoPo

Atlanta is planning on being very aggressive this offseason. There have been rumors they might pursue Rudy. Below is one of many articles referencing the Rudy interest for Atlanta.

IF Rudy expects more in a contract than we are willing to give, I love a trade with Atlanta. For me, we would have to get back Huerter, Collins and Capella.

Huerter (22) is a lights out shooter at SG/SF. Our FO loved him in the draft. He spreads the floor. Bright future.

Collins (23) is emerging as a very good NBA PF. Can score and rebound really well. Bright future.

We all know Capella (26). Although clearly not as good defensively, he would fill in Rudy's role. Offensively, I think he can set the screens and finish at the rim.

We also probably get some draft compensation in the deal even if it's just a protected pick or multiple 2nds.

Yes, we take a step back from maybe being a 2nd or 3rd round team to fighting for the playoffs. However, I our long term prospects are really strong. Huerter and Collins could become All Star caliber players. Capella is a decent starting NBA center.

Remember, this is worth considering IF Rudy and the FO can't agree on a fair extension.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Atlanta is planning on being very aggressive this offseason. There have been rumors they might pursue Rudy. Below is one of many articles referencing the Rudy interest for Atlanta.

IF Rudy expects more in a contract than we are willing to give, I love a trade with Atlanta. For me, we would have to get back Huerter, Collins and Capella.

Huerter (22) is a lights out shooter at SG/SF. Our FO loved him in the draft. He spreads the floor. Bright future.

Collins (23) is emerging as a very good NBA PF. Can score and rebound really well. Bright future.

We all know Capella (26). Although clearly not as good defensively, he would fill in Rudy's role. Offensively, I think he can set the screens and finish at the rim.

We also probably get some draft compensation in the deal even if it's just a protected pick or multiple 2nds.

Yes, we take a step back from maybe being a 2nd or 3rd round team to fighting for the playoffs. However, I our long term prospects are really strong. Huerter and Collins could become All Star caliber players. Capella is a decent starting NBA center.

Remember, this is worth considering IF Rudy and the FO can't agree on a fair extension.

Change Huerter with Labissiere, sounds more real. I think FO won't sell Rudy. He is one of the all Jazz have, build around them, don't change for worse players.

Lowe writes an article and throws something against the wall he says is unlikely... Ben Anderson writes a speculative piece on a speculative piece... Atlanta Best Buy releases a rumor about Jazz moving up...

JazzFanz “let’s discuss the impending Rudy to Atlanta trade”.

LoPo, why do you hate Rudy so much? That’s one of the worst trade ideas I’ve ever seen for Rudy Gobert. You’re an idiot if you think this is a good idea, oh and you pay Rudy whatever he wants. He’s a top ten player for hell sakes.

Lowe writes an article and throws something against the wall he says is unlikely... Ben Anderson writes a speculative piece on a speculative piece... Atlanta Best Buy releases a rumor about Jazz moving up...

JazzFanz “let’s discuss the impending Rudy to Atlanta trade”.
I never said it's for sure gonna happen. We all have made threads on speculation. This thread is just for discussion and all hinging on Rudy and the FO not agreeing on terms.

But here are articles discussing this concept. Not saying they are confirming a deal, just chatter.

That's just me looking a minute on my phone. Atlanta pursuing Rudy makes perfect sense. They have no reason to hesitate overpaying him. He fits well next to Trae. He makes them relevant. They already have young pieces to surround a base of Rudy and Trae.

LoPo, why do you hate Rudy so much? That’s one of the worst trade ideas I’ve ever seen for Rudy Gobert. You’re an idiot if you think this is a good idea, oh and you pay Rudy whatever he wants. He’s a top ten player for hell sakes.
I don't hate Rudy. Read my post. Twice I say this only needs to be considered if Rudy and the FO don't agree on a deal.

If they don't agree on a deal, this is a very fair trade. We get 3 good players and draft considerations for 1 great player.

And no, Idiot, Rudy is not a top 10 player. He isn't a top 20 player either. And no, Idiot, you do not pay him whatever he wants. Paying Rudy $40+ is a mistake.

I think Trae Young and Rudy would be fantastic together. He could be a real missing piece for that Hawks team.

I definitely want #6 in any version of this trade.

I never said it's for sure gonna happen. We all have made threads on speculation. This thread is just for discussion and all hinging on Rudy and the FO not agreeing on terms.

But here are articles discussing this concept. Not saying they are confirming a deal, just chatter.

That's just me looking a minute on my phone. Atlanta pursuing Rudy makes perfect sense. They have no reason to hesitate overpaying him. He fits well next to Trae. He makes them relevant. They already have young pieces to surround a base of Rudy and Trae.

my bad... I didn’t know there were so many well sourced articles on these rumorz.

You want us to move Rudy... that’s really what this comes down to. It’s fine but you should just own it. Tough to say it’s bad business to re-sign him at 30M+ and then say you want to keep him if they can work out a fair extension. 4/120M-135M is his fair market window.

I think Trae Young and Rudy would be fantastic together. He could be a real missing piece for that Hawks team.

I definitely want #6 in any version of this trade.

I honestly don’t think the jazz are gonna have all the details on an extension for Rudy hammered out by the draft. I dunno know though. Anyone know when contract extensions can be signed? Also regarding trading Rudy... I think the jazz should admit the Conley trade didn’t actually work the way it did hypothetically and trade him. I just hope the new owner is cool with luxury tax for a competitive team. Makes it better for the fans. GS and Toronto paid a lot to keep their teams together. I think Toronto had 4 players at about 30 mil each last year. Swing for the fences Ryan! I’ll buy season tickets hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

my bad... I didn’t know there were so many well sourced articles on these rumorz.

You want us to move Rudy... that’s really what this comes down to. It’s fine but you should just own it. Tough to say it’s bad business to re-sign him at 30M+ and then say you want to keep him if they can work out a fair extension. 4/120M-135M is his fair market window.

I've been pretty clear on my thoughts of our team. You should know; you've been around:

Donovan - who we should be building around. He is our superstar.
Royce - he's valuable because he'll do the dirty work without demanding the ball
Joe - he is Jazz basketball
Bojan - fair contract, plays with grit, and we need his shooting

Conley - overpaid (both his contract and what we paid). Don should be PG. He should go.
JC - keep him if Conley is dealt. We really don't need both guys because one of them should lead the 2nd unit.

Rudy - we are better with him than without him. However, don't overpay him. He is overvalued by Jazz fans rightfully so, but that doesn't mean we HAVE to have him for success. Don is our superstar. If Rudy can't defer to Don, then Rudy goes. It's that simple. We have a ten year window with Don. Overpaying Rudy could sacrifice half of that window.

So.... Rudy accept a fair deal, build around Don, figure out Conley vs JC, and we fight for a title hopefully.

I've been pretty clear on my thoughts of our team. You should know; you've been around:

Royce - he's valuable because he'll do the dirty work without demanding the ball

Conley - overpaid (both his contract and what we paid). Don should be PG. He should go.
JC - keep him if Conley is dealt. We really don't need both guys because one of them should lead the 2nd unit.

Rudy - we are better with him than without him. However, don't overpay him. He is overvalued by Jazz fans rightfully so, but that doesn't mean we HAVE to have him for success. Don is our superstar. If Rudy can't defer to Don, then Rudy goes. It's that simple. We have a ten year window with Don. Overpaying Rudy could sacrifice half of that window.

So.... Rudy accept a fair deal, build around Don, figure out Conley vs JC, and we fight for a title hopefully.
What is the fair extension in your mind? I want numbers and years.

What is the fair extension in your mind? I want numbers and years.

I would extend Rudy to 4 years and $120. I would make it a declining deal as well. Pay him something like $33, $31, $29, $27. The first year, he's being paid like an All NBA/All Star type player. As he likely declines with age, he's still getting more than almost every center in the league. $27 million for 33 year old Rudy is a lot of money considering where he might be as a player.

You’re incredibly delusional.

I don’t see Mitchell carrying this team to a title. How many 6-1 and under guys have been the lead man to a championship? I’m not dissing on Mitchell at all, but at 6-1 a guy just can’t affect a game the way a Kobe, Jordan or LBJ can. He needs Gobert, Gobert is the one with the most impact on this team. If you don’t pay Gobert, this team has no shot unless we get extremely lucky, and that doesn’t happen often.

You’re incredibly delusional.

I don’t see Mitchell carrying this team to a title. How many 6-1 and under guys have been the lead man to a championship? I’m not dissing on Mitchell at all, but at 6-1 a guy just can’t affect a game the way a Kobe, Jordan or LBJ can. He needs Gobert, Gobert is the one with the most impact on this team. If you don’t pay Gobert, this team has no shot unless we get extremely lucky, and that doesn’t happen often.

Go watch a playoff game. Actually, go watch all 4 series the last 3 years. When we win, it's because Don plays great. There are so few instances when we win and Don is below average. We aren't winning, and to be fair, we aren't losing because of Rudy.

If we want to be relevant, Rudy is our 2nd best player. If we want to win a title, we need Rudy to be our 3rd best overall player. We can't find that 3rd player if Rudy is getting paid anything near a supermax.

I would extend Rudy to 4 years and $120. I would make it a declining deal as well. Pay him something like $33, $31, $29, $27. The first year, he's being paid like an All NBA/All Star type player. As he likely declines with age, he's still getting more than almost every center in the league. $27 million for 33 year old Rudy is a lot of money considering where he might be as a player.
And if you start there it is very easy to say keep him at 4/134M... could even tie the difference out with incentives for making all defensive teams and the team making the second round of the playoffs. The extra 14M doesn't change any of the cap gymnastics in future years.

If its supermax or nothing then we move him, but we'd get .50 on the dollar because only teams that he will agree to an extension with will bid or they will get a 1 year rental type offer from a team not sure they can keep him.

If a Rudy trade happens pre-extension it will likely be a horrible return. If we re-sign and trade him next year if things ain't working it likely gets a much better return.

I just don't think this is something we should get excited about considering.

And if you start there it is very easy to say keep him at 4/134M... could even tie the difference out with incentives for making all defensive teams and the team making the second round of the playoffs. The extra 14M doesn't change any of the cap gymnastics in future years.

If its supermax or nothing then we move him, but we'd get .50 on the dollar because only teams that he will agree to an extension with will bid or they will get a 1 year rental type offer from a team not sure they can keep him.

If a Rudy trade happens pre-extension it will likely be a horrible return. If we re-sign and trade him next year if things ain't working it likely gets a much better return.

I just don't think this is something we should get excited about considering.

I don't want to pay the $14 million extra. If we weren't in a cap limited time of COVID, I might be more willing. We have zero idea what's going to happen going forward. I think the election might keep things more restricted for the next season and maybe beyond. Regardless, we simply don't know. But giving Rudy almost $150 million (counting this year) for the next 5 years is amazing.

You make good points about his trade value, but Atlanta is one of those teams with nothing to lose. Rudy fixes such a large portion of their issues of taking that next step. If we can't agree to a deal with Rudy because he wants more than we want to give, Atlanta is probably willing to pay the price since so much of their roster is on rookie deals for most of the next 4-5 years.

Atlanta isn't likely going to give us Collins. If they do a deal, they'll offer Capella, #6 and something else.

I can see the appeal of Trae Young + Rudy Gobert spacing the floor vertically. That's part of the Golden State concept that started with Steph and Bogut. I think ATL has interest in Gobert, but not sure what the deal would be.