What's new

Rumor: Gobert wants Jazz to decide between him or Mitchell

I’d prefer Murray as well, I just don’t see that happening. Sacramento had been open to trading Fox but since they traded Halliburton idk how open they are to it now. He doesn’t have a player option on that final contract year either lol. Tbh the Knicks would be the hell he deserves. Tom Haberstroh made a good point yesterday on radio, he said Donovan should be careful what he wishes for because Home comings in the league rarely work out. If we raid the Knicks assets, and send him there, good luck, once that honeymoon phase is over you ain’t gonna be having fun anymore, and Dolan isn’t the owner who is just begging to kiss your *** like Smith is.

The Knicks have nothing worth trading for. Even Madison Square Garden wouldn't be worth the postage.

The Knicks have nothing worth trading for. Even Madison Square Garden wouldn't be worth the postage.
Oh yes they do... You can get their 2022, 23, 25, 27, 29 picks unprotected on draft night after they make the 22 pick. They also own Dallas pick in 23 (not that great). You can also work in some pick swaps. There are a couple interesting young guys like Toppin and Quickley (they aren't huge prospects but interesting). Its how Boston got Tatum and Brown. They aren't great picks unless they are unprotected... which is why I think you could get something like that done.

Those type of deals are great because you don't have to bank on your own *****yness to get talent. You can use some of your own picks early but have those picks to help fill in with trades or to give you a shot at lottery talent without being a lottery team.

I might also leak the negotiations a bit since CAA runs the Knicks and is Donovan's agency. If they aren't willing to give up a lot it might cause a little divide between Donovan and his agency that could be kinda fun. They can have him now instead of waiting for FA but aren't willing to give up some worthless picks... do they really even like you?

Oh yes they do... You can get their 2022, 23, 25, 27, 29 picks unprotected on draft night after they make the 22 pick. They also own Dallas pick in 23 (not that great). You can also work in some pick swaps. There are a couple interesting young guys like Toppin and Quickley (they aren't huge prospects but interesting). Its how Boston got Tatum and Brown. They aren't great picks unless they are unprotected... which is why I think you could get something like that done.

Those type of deals are great because you don't have to bank on your own *****yness to get talent. You can use some of your own picks early but have those picks to help fill in with trades or to give you a shot at lottery talent without being a lottery team.

I might also leak the negotiations a bit since CAA runs the Knicks and is Donovan's agency. If they aren't willing to give up a lot it might cause a little divide between Donovan and his agency that could be kinda fun. They can have him now instead of waiting for FA but aren't willing to give up some worthless picks... do they really even like you?

I thought they'd traded away all their picks for lollipops. If we're trading Don for picks we might as well trade Rudy as well and go full rebuild. Its probably what we need, new back court, new wings, new coach, what's left?

Getting a package that contains 0 win-now players or a top-3 pick also makes it easier to ask for a boat of unprotected picks. It also means the Jazz’s record will definitely and organically be FUBAR for the next year at absolute minimum (but probably more).

I thought they'd traded away all their picks for lollipops. If we're trading Don for picks we might as well trade Rudy as well and go full rebuild. Its probably what we need, new back court, new wings, new coach, what's left?
Ainge’s head after he presses the big red button.

Exactly... if you trade one I think you burn it to the floor and get a boatload of picks to do so. I know its the hipster OKC thing.... it works and we are in a good position to bottom out for a couple years while cashing in.

I also think the outlook is fairly hopeless with any sort of retool... so if you believe in a retool effort this isn't ideal.

Getting a package that contains 0 win-now players or a top-3 pick also makes it easier to ask for a boat of unprotected picks. It also means the Jazz’s record will definitely and organically be FUBAR for the next year at absolute minimum (but probably more).
I'd prefer a top 4 pick plus some goodies because it gives you a huge prospect to watch and build around and if a rookie is good enough to help you win in year 1 and 2 then they are really ****ing good.

Exactly... if you trade one I think you burn it to the floor and get a boatload of picks to do so. I know its the hipster OKC thing.... it works and we are in a good position to bottom out for a couple years while cashing in.

I also think the outlook is fairly hopeless with any sort of retool... so if you believe in a retool effort this isn't ideal.

The non luxury tax teams split the luxury tax money, correct? Seems like that could be a significant amount of money.

The non luxury tax teams split the luxury tax money, correct? Seems like that could be a significant amount of money.
Correct... the finances of the NBA have generally benefitted the teams at the bottom of the salary numbers more than the teams that are competitive and in the tax. With GS' tax number going to the moon that could be even more the case.

This obviously does not include valuations and selling the team... The way to profit was to cut salary. The top luxury tax teams aren't spending the tax for business reasons.

Bottoming out also provides opportunity to take on bad contracts with guys that can improve their value. OKC has been pretty masterful and getting picks to take a contract then having that player increase their value and flipping them for a player that is worse and a pick.

So say the Knicks didn't want to give every unprotected pick... you could add Conley to the deal and take back Randle (I think they desperately want to dump him) to add some value... he may play well you can recycle him in a year.

If you can get 5 unprotected picks, then do it. Take back Fournier for spite and lols. I’d bet, though, you could go shopping and replace a lot of what was lost and still be competitive the next year, though I know most people aren’t middle ground like that.

Correct... the finances of the NBA have generally benefitted the teams at the bottom of the salary numbers more than the teams that are competitive and in the tax. With GS' tax number going to the moon that could be even more the case.

This obviously does not include valuations and selling the team... The way to profit was to cut salary. The top luxury tax teams aren't spending the tax for business reasons.
According to this: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/tax/ The total tax bill for 2022 is over $150MM. There are 20 non luxury tax teams, so they each will get over $7.5MM. Like you said, that number probably continues to increase each year.

If you can get 5 unprotected picks, then do it. Take back Fournier for spite and lols. I’d bet, though, you could go shopping and replace a lot of what was lost and still be competitive the next year, though I know most people aren’t middle ground like that.
I think I’d still trade Rudy because
I think we’d be a 35-44 win team… but there is likely more merit to trading Donovan and duct taping something together around Rudy for a year or two.

I remember when the Millers owned the team, they were never in the tax and they said for the books to show a profit, they needed to get to the second round of the playoffs. Well the Jazz didn't do that this year, they are in the tax, so the books ought to be showing red ink.

I remember when the Millers owned the team, they were never in the tax and they said for the books to show a profit, they needed to get to the second round of the playoffs. Well the Jazz didn't do that this year, they are in the tax, so the books ought to be showing red ink.
They lied…. Kind of. On the income statement you can manipulate things a bit… they made cash in some of those lower salary years.

They lied…. Kind of. On the income statement you can manipulate things a bit… they made cash in some of those lower salary years.
And even if they were barely in the red all those years, **** was more than made up for in the value the team created year after year (the kind of value they aren't going to count as income) and the lump sum they got when they sold.