What's new

Rumors Swirling

I will save you the trouble and post only the Jazz portion. Quite honestly, there’s nothing here.

Mixed Jazz

This is a report that doesn’t tell you a whole lot. I’m passing it on as a sign that there’s not a clear understanding of where Utah is at.

Dennis Lindsay transitioned to a consultant role with the team with Justin Zanik taking over. New ownership likely wants to be aggressive, but the team is also coming off the best record in the NBA, even if they lost disappointingly in the conference semifinals to the Clippers without Kawhi Leonard.

Multiple league sources indicated this week that the Jazz were open to trade discussions. The consensus is that Derrick Favors is not only available, but Utah is eager to move him to clear his roughly $20 million in remaining salary (including a $10 million player option for 2022-23).

However, sources suggested that Bojan Bogdanovic and Joe Ingles were also bandied about as available if the Jazz could get a significant upgrade, which would be a major shakeup for the team, especially with Mike Conley headed to unrestricted free agency this summer.

Two executives flatly countered that this week, however, saying the Jazz had indicated in no uncertain terms that they were planning to “run it back” with the core from this season.

So which is it?

Given the information, I’d lean towards the idea that the Jazz are more likely to stand pat. Those things can change quickly if Conley moves on and Utah is forced to try and reconfigure the roster, or if ownership increases its desire for aggressive moves.

A more simplistic look might simply be that the Jazz intend to run it back unless an offer they can’t refuse comes along, which it most likely won’t.

But this is a good example of how much “summer noise” there is and how all information, no matter the angle, should be treated with skepticism.

My take —

(1) Jazz are definitely trying to find somewhere to move Favors;
(2) Jazz are planning to run it back, and are telling most teams the truth;
(3) Jazz are shopping Ingles and Bojan to select teams, likely those that have something we want if Conley goes elsewhere and we need to pivot.

The executives we told we were running it back just don’t have anything we want or could potentially want.

That, or the FO is just a mess. Personally, I think Zanik should’ve been fired along with DL, and we should’ve gone with new vision and a new philosophy.

My take —

(3) Jazz are shopping Ingles and Bojan to select teams, likely those that have something we want if Conley goes elsewhere and we need to pivot.

The executives we told we were running it back just don’t have anything we want or could potentially want.
Ill murder Xanick if we trade Ingles
For me, would totally depend on what we got in return.

Bogey should be the trade piece between those two if a contender or team desperate to make the playoffs would take him into space for a younger/cheaper player.

My take —

That, or the FO is just a mess. Personally, I think Zanik should’ve been fired along with DL, and we should’ve gone with new vision and a new philosophy.
I agree on the last point… but likely would have been too much change. If DL was really still helicoptering and making decisions while JZ was his intern GM… then I guess he can stay on and give it a go… maybe with Ainge in there that is enough new direction for now.

I am not sure how reliable this Matt Moore guy is. He is close to Nuggets, I think. He seems to be just speculating.

Trading Joe should be one of those big prick moments from fo, and an idea that i hate too, but from a basketball perspective, he's not impactful on postseason games, against different teams, both in terms of level and schemes, as a playmaker he can't exploit switches nor blitz, and as a defender he can't be a stopper on guards or wings nor rebound, and he's not a scorer either.

What in hell is his value, or the value of a Bogdanovic who can't dribble, or a Favors who can't jump, that's another question, but at least his contract has only one year left, so it should be easier to move

Trading Joe should be one of those big prick moments from fo, and an idea that i hate too, but from a basketball perspective, he's not impactful on postseason games, against different teams, both in terms of level and schemes, as a playmaker he can't exploit switches nor blitz, and as a defender he can't be a stopper on guards or wings nor rebound, and he's not a scorer either.

What in hell is his value, or the value of a Bogdanovic who can't dribble, or a Favors who can't jump, that's another question, but at least his contract has only one year left, so it should be easier to move
Joe did lead the Jazz in three point shooting and can play the point when all our guards are injured.

What in hell is his value, or the value of a Bogdanovic who can't dribble, or a Favors who can't jump, that's another question, but at least his contract has only one year left, so it should be easier to move.
Joes numbers in the Clippers series: 13.7 points, 54% from the field, 45% from 3, 4 assists, 3.3 rebounds, 4.8 assist/turnover ratio, only 5 turnovers in 171 minutes played and every single one of those minutes he was either our secondary or primary ballhandler. Call me crazy but that seems pretty impactful.

I’d definitely move Favors and Bogey, but it’d take a really, really good deal for me to want to move Ingles.

Ingles is by far the most versatile player of the three. Also, what are the odds he retires after next year.

I’d definitely move Favors and Bogey, but it’d take a really, really good deal for me to want to move Ingles.

Ingles is by far the most versatile player of the three. Also, what are the odds he retires after next year.
If this is truly Joe's last NBA season, it would be an absolute shame if we traded him. On the list of trade preference, I put it like...

In order of who I would trade least:
Don
Joe
Royce
Rudy
Conley (if he re-signed)
JC
Bojan
Doke
Favors

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Please go look at Joe’s postseason numbers this year… then continue the conversation. Joe was fine but because he was pushed into a bigger creation role because Mike was out it didn’t go as well. We also played a team that had enough wings to switch everything and cause issues… Joe was still solid. Joe wasn’t at the top of the list of postseason problems at all.

I'd say the odds of him retiring after next season are very high.

An Ingles trade would be thinking with your brain not your heart

Last edited: