What's new

Scola to be amnestied - Should we get him?

Since you have to have actual cap space to bid on players waved via amnesty, and Scola will certainly not pass through waivers, how would you go about getting Scola on the Jazz, who are over the cap?

We already have Jefferson, Millsap, Favors, Evans, and even Marvin Williams who can play PF, and all are 27 years old or less. You think we should add a sixth PF who's 32 years old?

I'm all for adding the most talent possible, but there is no way the $$$ of Scola would justify him being our backup PF.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--rockets-will-use-amnesty-provision-on-luis-scola-to-clear-cap-space-in-pursuit-of-dwight-howard.html

IMO, we should do it to prevent the Spurs from doing it - and they will.

And it will be sad to see the Rockets gut their team for nothing... they will not land D12...

No. And neither the Spurs or Jazz are likely to get Scola. Somebody like Charlotte or Cleveland are going to get him on the cheap for 3 years because they are under the cap.

Now hold on just a dad gum minute...

Having Scola at waiver wire price for 3 seasons would be the best deal in the league, and that includes spreading the $10,000,000 unguaranteed portion of his last year over the three. I'd take a Scola crammed up my *** sideways for $4mm/per.

Signed,

Mark Cuban

This makes room for their dire need of Al Jefferson.

Houston would basically be the Timberwolves of old if they traded for Jefferson.

And, like those Timberpups, they have to put a team on the floor for 82 games.

Add this to the discussion: the closer the Rockets get to scrambling toward a PLAN B, the closer they get to reaching out to players they have some familiarity with.

And, like those Timberpups, they have to put a team on the floor for 82 games.

Add this to the discussion: the closer the Rockets get to scrambling toward a PLAN B, the closer they get to reaching out to players they have some familiarity with.
And headed for the lottery anyway, why would they want a guy with a biog expiring contract who isn't likely to re-sign with them. I could maybe see it IF they really liked AL and IF he had a few years left on his contract.

Al will have value only to a contender, in which case we'd get a late first and have to take back some contracts, or to a team wanting to dump salary (like the Harris for Marvin Williams deal). In the latter scenario, KOC would need to ask himself if the player(s) coming back to us is/are better than what he could get in the FA market next summer. Taking back longer-term salaries for Al means we can't be big players next summer...not if we also extend Paul and Marvin Williams opts in.

This team is only a couple players away from having the core we need for a legit run in 2-3 years.

1) Bigs are Favors, Millsap and Kanter. Need 1 more to either assume Kanter's 15 min/per role or perhaps you slide Favors over to the 5 and bring in a big 4. Depends on Enes' development.
2) Wings are set with Hayward and Burks. If MArvin works out, you re-sign him. If not, trade his expiring next season for a replacement or get one in the draft
3) PG - need a young PG to develop, with Mo mentoring and then assuming the Watson role.

Not including Evans or Murphy here. I think they're decent guys to have, but they're both outside the "Core-8" that a team needs to compete. Both can play 10 mins/per and serve as injury replacements.

One Big, a PG and a SF (if Marvin isn't the answer). And we'll likely have two firsts and some cap space next season to sign a couple of very good FA's. KOC has put this team in a very solid position, in great financial shape, with some assets to use going forward.