What's new

Game Thread (Scrimmage) Jazz @ Suns.......or Suns@Jazz BASKETBALL IS BACK!!!!

Added to Calendar: 07-23-20

Tucker always seems to either try a deep 3 or go for a highlight dunk. I liked Brantley, hope he will get more time in next two games. Boler back in shape, couldn't tell the difference between those two.

It felt similar to those scrimmages before the start of the season when I thougt like "ok, they don't care about D now, we don't want to risk injuries, they will turn it on once the real play begin". Only the season started and it was only Rudy who really turned it on..

Even if they think Brantley is considered too much green for starters level (and that his playmaking habilities doesn't fit a lineup that we'd want him touch the ball as much as Bradley did), why not try Juwan Morgan there ? He may be a better shooter than Bradley (and dribbler too), also problably better switching and defending on the perimeter (Rudy and Bradley duo were positive, as we were able to stop Suns driving at will, but they were bricking nearly everything from outside and we weren't really good tracking their shooters, especially on the corners, and it looked like Rudy needed to went out a bit too much into the midrange area), and we'd have Bradley to play alongside our bench unit, matching a faster pace and higher scoring style that Ed Davis didn't (didn't fit any scoring at all).

Last edited:
Mitchell is the only player to play well IMO. Conley did have a good 3rd Qtr and Ingles had a few good plays and his usual passing up wide open or open shots too often.

The only thing that is concerning is the rebounding and defense BUT NOT because of this ONE SCRIMMAGE game more so because it has been concerning almost all season.

People complained in the first half that the Jazz weren't using the bench and then in the 2nd half the Jazz tinkered a little but people complained about how the Jazz were tinkering. At least the board is almost in mid-season complaining form.

Even if they think Brantley is considered too much green for starters level (and that his playmaking habilities doesn't fit a lineup that we'd want him touch the ball as much as Bradley did), why not try Juwan Morgan there ? He may be a better shooter than Bradley (and dribbler too), also problably better switching and defending on the perimeter (Rudy and Bradley duo were positive, as we were able to stop Suns driving at will, but they were bricking nearly everything from outside and we weren't really good tracking their shooters, especially on the corners, and it looked like Rudy needed to went out a bit too much into the midrange area), and we'd have Bradley to play alongside our bench unit, matching a faster pace and higher scoring style that Ed Davis didn't (didn't fit tô any scoring at all).
I'm not against experimenting a bit now while there's a chance, but I pretty much agree with Cy's earlier assessment: while Morgan may be more ready to contribute to a rotation than Brantley now, Morgan's really more of a center than a forward.

Morgan's (rather clearly) superior defense almost all happens in the context of him playing center. He's looked much more out of his element every time I've seen him play the 4 either in the NBA or G League. Likewise his playmaking and general savvy fit best with the (rolling/offensive rebounding) role that the Jazz give to the center position rather than the PF position.

I don't think Morgan's a better shooter. The early season G-League shine on his 3-pointer wore off over the season. This is not to say that Brantley's a great shooter, just that neither of them are likely to provide what we want/need in this regard this year.

I don't think Quin will do it, but I wouldn't mind seeing a whole scrimmage of Brantley and Morgan rotating at the 4 position, just to see what things look like with them. However, I wouldn't expect the experiment to be successful -- it would just be something I'd want to see out of curiosity.

I’m gonna bet against us every single game. We don’t look good and don’t have the horses to hide what are major deficiencies imo.

When I was watching last night, I came to the realization that the organization considers Oni, NWG, Brantley, JWF, Morgan, Tucker, and Davis all garbage. Why not waive all of them and give someone else the opportunities?

Mitchell should play at the 1 where he has the most size/strength/athleticism advantage most nights.
Ingles and Royce should play at the wings, giving us some size and defense on the perimeter.
Niang, Brantley and Morgan should play at the 4. Stop asking Royce to guard guys 3+ inches bigger than he is.
Gobert is fine at the 5. Bradley is fine as a backup.

Mitchell / Conley
Ingles / Clarkson
Royce / Oni
Niang / Brantley
Gobert / Bradley

That gives us size in our starting line-up and puts 4 shooters and 3 initiators around Gobert. This is the best we can do right now.
Niang is the right guy to replace Bogey as a starter, and the young guys should be next man up.
The idea of replacing Bogey's touches with Conley, Clarkson and Mudiay isn't going to work.

When I was watching last night, I came to the realization that the organization considers Oni, NWG, Brantley, JWF, Morgan, Tucker, and Davis all garbage. Why not waive all of them and give someone else the opportunities?
I think the Jazz are interested in Brantley, Oni, Morgan and Tucker potentially being rotation players.

Mitchell should play at the 1 where he has the most size/strength/athleticism advantage most nights.
Ingles and Royce should play at the wings, giving us some size and defense on the perimeter.
Niang, Brantley and Morgan should play at the 4. Stop asking Royce to guard guys 3+ inches bigger than he is.

Mitchell / Conley
Ingles / Clarkson
Royce / Oni
Niang / Brantley
Gobert / Bradley

That gives us size in our starting line-up and puts 4 shooters and 3 initiators around Gobert. This is the best we can do right now.
Niang is the right guy to replace Bogey as a starter, and the young guys should be next man up.
The idea of replacing Bogey's touches with Conley, Clarkson and Mudiay isn't going to work.

I'd probably just rather give Brantley the opportunity and see if he's got what it takes, if not time to hunt for that 4 in free agency. Niang might make us a bit better this season, but will do less to answer the question long term.

I'd probably just rather give Brantley the opportunity and see if he's got what it takes, if not time to hunt for that 4 in free agency. Niang might make us a bit better this season, but will do less to answer the question long term.

Niang is a better shooter right now, no question. Brantley has more length and toughness on a team that is dying for more length and toughness. Give them each 15+ minutes.

Last edited:
I could see Oni getting regular minutes as a wing defender. He'd be like the Thabo Sefalosha of this team--he guards 94 feet, hits an occasional 3, and adds a threat as a cutter. He might be the 10th or 11th man in the rotation, but he's still valuable. I think he can guard 2 - 4 most nights. He's an inch taller than Royce and about 3 inches longer. I would make him a regular part of the rotation. Even if he's not hitting his 3-ball, he still takes them without hesitation, and there's value in that.

Last edited:

Mitchell / Conley
Ingles / Clarkson
Royce / Oni
Niang / Brantley
Gobert / Bradley

This.
And it seems obvious

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Outside of Donny and Rudy, the Jazz are painfully undersized and are less athletic than the opposing team every night. Until they surround Rudy and Mitchell with better athletes, the 2nd round is the peak. Thats the cold hard truth.

I'm not against experimenting a bit now while there's a chance, but I pretty much agree with Cy's earlier assessment: while Morgan may be more ready to contribute to a rotation than Brantley now, Morgan's really more of a center than a forward.

Morgan's (rather clearly) superior defense almost all happens in the context of him playing center. He's looked much more out of his element every time I've seen him play the 4 either in the NBA or G League. Likewise his playmaking and general savvy fit best with the (rolling/offensive rebounding) role that the Jazz give to the center position rather than the PF position.

I don't think Morgan's a better shooter. The early season G-League shine on his 3-pointer wore off over the season. This is not to say that Brantley's a great shooter, just that neither of them are likely to provide what we want/need in this regard this year.

I don't think Quin will do it, but I wouldn't mind seeing a whole scrimmage of Brantley and Morgan rotating at the 4 position, just to see what things look like with them. However, I wouldn't expect the experiment to be successful -- it would just be something I'd want to see out of curiosity.

Brantley is a legit triple-threat player--shoot, pass, drive. He can score in different ways and create for himself when plays break down. Morgan is very limited off the dribble.

Brantley has a 3-ball, step-backs, floaters and inside finishes with either hand. His problem is that he's been a bit passive on defense, and he turns it over too much when he's the primary ball handler. That shouldn't be a problem if they put him in a Georges Niang-type role.