What's new

Scrimmage

No, no and no.
So?

15304-futurama-fry.jpg

I sat behind a family of 20 kids. Okay, I'm exaggerating...it was more like 18. They were dancing the whole time, which was kind of distracting... 'cause they had moves that I never knew existed..

I sat behind a family of 20 kids. Okay, I'm exaggerating...it was more like 18. They were dancing the whole time, which was kind of distracting... 'cause they had moves that I never knew existed..

So you just admitted to 'checking out 12 year olds'? Sandusky alert, Sandusky alert!!!

. . . after he figured out that if he rested on defense, then he could devote his energy on the offensive end, which is what helps him make the highlight reel (and the All-Star teams) ;)

He is the main reason that I don't want Dallas to repeat; I hate it when carpetbaggers swoop in to coattail a title.
So true, but that is what all the cool kids are doing now.. Totally agree about him making me dislike Dallas. VC is horrible.

Favors looks to me to be an inch taller than Kanter. He looks maybe a half inch taller than last year. Kanter and Okur look to be about the same size, but Kanter has pretty long arms. I thought Favors looked pretty good, actually. He's so big that everyone has to react to him rather than the other way around. He had a nice finish on the break and a nice baseline reverse lay-up. He was keeping opposing players out of the paint, and he stuffed Kanter a couple of times. No one was scoring on him inside.

I thought Kanter looked okay. Yeah, a bit uncertain with what to do with the ball out on the floor, but that just has to do with knowing the plays and the players he's playing with. He had a good spin move baseline on Favors and then reversed and drew a triple team. He just needs to know to look for a cutter or shooter. He was pretty automatic on the defensive boards, which is his first job. He's a physical presence.

CJ looks good as a wing scorer. Evans showed signs of being able to score, although I'd love to see if he can put the ball on the floor for a couple dribbles. Once he shakes free near the hoop, no one can catch him.

Burks looks comfortable handling the ball and making passes to cutters. He didn't seem to shoot much.

All in all, I think the players were playing at half speed for most of the game, and just trying to run a couple of basic plays. Harris didn't try to take anyone, just move the ball around.

I'm really, really curious to see if Millsap has added another piece to his game--like a spin move, or a pull-up jumper off one or two dribbles, a hook shot, etc.

I sat right on the baseline at this game (it was awesome, never been that close) and something that I noticed was Favors and Kanter were going AT it. I was on the blue side so I had a good view of Kanter guarding Favors. I'm sure everybody could see that but there were points when Favors seemed to just stare at Kanter like "Get off me man". I liked that intensity in the scrimmage though. I'm really interested what happens behind closed doors in practice.

Alec Burks looked comfortable and not nervous at all. It did seem like the game was faster than he antipated (like Raja would usually cut him off whenever he put the ball down) but that's typical of all rookies.

Hayward has done a complete 180 from this time last year. He's a very smart player and I dunno about ever being a star but he will be solid for a lonng time.

CJ really is fools gold, but there is no denying how well he looked out there during the scrimmage.

I expect he'll have a good season, we'll overpay him for a 3-4 year deal, and regret it in the years to come.

I went to this here is my impressions.

Kanter: looks REALLY slow. I was shocked at just how slow he looked.

Burks: for everything I heard this offseason I was expecting to see a fluid shot and athleticism. What I saw was a shot with no rotation, that was also flat. And a little athleticism but compared to Hayward, CJ, and Evans he is not close in athleticism to these players.

Favors: Still struggled with fouls, got better after getting 3 quick ones. He looks bigger and stronger and had a great finish around Kanter early in this game.

CJ: Played well. Problem is not can he play but if he can play consistently. Impossible to guess after one stong game. Did look like the best player on the floor in this game.

Hayward: Played well. Looked ineffective on defense considering he was guarding CJ quite a bit. CJ blew right past him on more than one occasion. I expected more. Offensively he had one extremely nice pass and played really well on that end of the floor.

Evans: I was impressed. Hit some mid range jumpers and had some spectacular dunks. Guarded Memo a bunch and shut him down with ease. (If Evans does not play over Memo I'll be disappointed)

Memo: Looked terrible. Completely invisible. Missed wide open shots. Looked slow. Tried to post up Evans and failed miserably. As a Memo fan I was extremely disappointed.

Harris/Watson: Both looked okay not great but okay.

Mcleod: Is worse than I remember. I don't expect him to stick.

Other camp fodder: None of them impressed Don't expect them to make the team.

Howard, Millsap and Jefferson did not play? Don't know why.

If I missed anybody then they did not stand out to me.

Forgot Bell. He looked good. Battled Burks on a couple occasions and hit his shots. Ran the offense better than last year.

I just keep hearing Rob Schneider in the Waterboy saying "We suck again!" as I read this post.