Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics, 16.5 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 2.4 APG, 34 MPG
Jason Williams, Sacramento Kings, 12.8 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 6 APG, 36 MPG
Mike Bibby, Vancouver Grizzlies, 13.2 PPG, 2.7 RPG, 6.5 APG, 35 MPG
Matt Harpring, Orlando Magic, 8.2 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 0.9 APG, 22 MPG

February Rookie of the Month: Paul Pierce
March Rookie of the Month: Vince Carter
April Rookie of the Month: Vince Carter

Rookie of the Year: Vince Carter

To me it seems it took Vince Carter a month or so to really get a good hold on the NBA season than after that he just dominated. Rookies didn't really seem to hit a wall since it was only a 50-game season compared to this year's 66-game season. It wasn't really a good rookie crop that year so it is kind of comparable to this years rookie crop which has a few good players and the rest are bench players. *Also to note the Jazz didn't have any rookies that year and Karl Malone won MVP in 1998-99.

Wow...

So basically CJ Miles is our best player?

Based on this observation, I'd guess the Jazz might win a game or two this season.

Were things really as bad as you described?

Dont forget that jefferson and millsap didn't play.

(gregbroncs) Pretty accurate on all counts. Bell and Miles were the best players on the court, which says a lot. Kanter looked really slow and I still don't get the love for Favors. He might be a good player in five years.
Considering he was a pretty good player last year (7/5/1 on 52% shooting in 20 mins), I find it kind of hard to believe he'll take 5 years to develop. Yes, Kanter looked tentative. He's a rookie who hasn't played in an actual game in 1+ years. The game is supposed to be a bit fast for him right now.

I find it amusing some are expecting guys to look like all-pros in a SCRIMMAGE. No one is going 100%, especially on defense. Players aren't going to take a hard charge or knock a teammate to the floor in a 20-min exhibition.

I watched the scrimmage via internet and here's what I saw:

Bigs: Kanter is a project. He had some nice footwork, but needs to adjust to the speed of the game. Sorry, Kanter fans, he won't be ROY or force a trade this year. Memo ran the floor well - and that's a victory in itself considering the injury. Expect the rotation to be roughly the same as last season: Jefferson and Millsap likely start, with Favors coming off the bench. Memo will pick up Elson's minutes and may rest every 3rd game or so - and that will be Kanter's chance to get game experience.

Wings: CJ better than expected. He'll likely start (unless Corbin goes big w/ Millsap). Hayward had a nice move to the hoop, hit some shots. Definitely a starter. Burks looks very promising. And Bell just might contribute this season.

PG: Harris had the offense out and running. Watson was his usual steady self. I think Tinsley gets the nod over McLeod as the 3rd point. Not likely, but if needed, the Jazz could survive with just Harris and Watson, as Burks looks like a true combo guard.

Overall, I was impressed by the up-tempo game. And the amount of passing. What a change from Deron walking the ball up court, taking another 5-10 seconds dribbling, and then leaving just 10 seconds on the clock for the Jazz to get a shot if he couldn't break down his man with a crossover. Jazz also took quite a few 3's. It will be interesting to see if this was due to Jefferson and Millsap not being in the scrimmage, or if Corbin has really loosened up the arsenal. Utah does have a bunch of guys who can hit 3's. I hope to see more 3 attempts this season, enough to keep defenses from just collapsing inside on Favors and Jefferson.

I have heard from NBA coaches that it is the case. I personally do not know, and I don't have a link to back it up.
It might be more exact if I say I have heard a/some NBA coaches say it takes longer for NBA bigs to develop, than wings or PG's.
I could be wrong, no really, it happens.
The adage used to be that it takes 3-5 years for bigs to develop. Now certainly there are exceptions. Some guys come in at a high level right off. But for most, especially now with just one year of college ball (and none for Enes), I'd think 3 would be the minimum. Kanter is a project. He'll have quite a few DNP's and there will be cries to fire Corbin for not playing him more or to fire KOC because Kanter is a bust. But Enes has a ton of potential; he'll be a very good player in the league. It will just take a few years.

Favors is similar. After one year of college ball, he was able to average 20 mins/per. But that came more at the end of the year after the trade. Favors likely plays 25-30 this season and averages a double/double. And next year, expect Derrick to be an 18/12 player and considered a top-tier big, especially on the defensive end.

Considering he was a pretty good player last year (7/5/1 on 52% shooting in 20 mins), I find it kind of hard to believe he'll take 5 years to develop. Yes, Kanter looked tentative. He's a rookie who hasn't played in an actual game in 1+ years. The game is supposed to be a bit fast for him right now.

I find it amusing some are expecting guys to look like all-pros in a SCRIMMAGE. No one is going 100%, especially on defense. Players aren't going to take a hard charge or knock a teammate to the floor in a 20-min exhibition.

I watched the scrimmage via internet and here's what I saw:

Bigs: Kanter is a project. He had some nice footwork, but needs to adjust to the speed of the game. Sorry, Kanter fans, he won't be ROY or force a trade this year. Memo ran the floor well - and that's a victory in itself considering the injury. Expect the rotation to be roughly the same as last season: Jefferson and Millsap likely start, with Favors coming off the bench. Memo will pick up Elson's minutes and may rest every 3rd game or so - and that will be Kanter's chance to get game experience.

Wings: CJ better than expected. He'll likely start (unless Corbin goes big w/ Millsap). Hayward had a nice move to the hoop, hit some shots. Definitely a starter. Burks looks very promising. And Bell just might contribute this season.

PG: Harris had the offense out and running. Watson was his usual steady self. I think Tinsley gets the nod over McLeod as the 3rd point. Not likely, but if needed, the Jazz could survive with just Harris and Watson, as Burks looks like a true combo guard.

Overall, I was impressed by the up-tempo game. And the amount of passing. What a change from Deron walking the ball up court, taking another 5-10 seconds dribbling, and then leaving just 10 seconds on the clock for the Jazz to get a shot if he couldn't break down his man with a crossover. Jazz also took quite a few 3's. It will be interesting to see if this was due to Jefferson and Millsap not being in the scrimmage, or if Corbin has really loosened up the arsenal. Utah does have a bunch of guys who can hit 3's. I hope to see more 3 attempts this season, enough to keep defenses from just collapsing inside on Favors and Jefferson.
Repped for this fantastic post!

The adage used to be that it takes 3-5 years for bigs to develop. Now certainly there are exceptions. Some guys come in at a high level right off. But for most, especially now with just one year of college ball (and none for Enes), I'd think 3 would be the minimum. Kanter is a project. He'll have quite a few DNP's and there will be cries to fire Corbin for not playing him more or to fire KOC because Kanter is a bust. But Enes has a ton of potential; he'll be a very good player in the league. It will just take a few years.

Favors is similar. After one year of college ball, he was able to average 20 mins/per. But that came more at the end of the year after the trade. Favors likely plays 25-30 this season and averages a double/double. And next year, expect Derrick to be an 18/12 player and considered a top-tier big, especially on the defensive end.
And this one's great too. You're on a roll.

I was at a party last night and Scott Layden showed up. I asked him how the scrimmage went and he said it was great. I asked him what he liked the most and he said, "More than 10,000 people showed up. It was awesome." He had no interest in talking about the performance of specific players, though.

Yeah, blame it on the beer. Or on the flimsy idea that JazzFanz (not named CarolinaJazz) make racist comments all the time.

Or you could've looked at the very first article that shows up on Google (at least for me).
https://blogs.standard.net/ahead-of-the-game/2011/12/17/josh-howard-meets-the-press/

Or you could've just asked the question in a less inflammatory way.
First off, who are you? You come and bombard me as if this is your problem. It ain't! Are you Verlin orJazzSpazzs daddy? You his predominant *** kisser? I didn't need an input from you. Stay out of conversations you don't have any business in.

And I made a mistake. I admit that. But racism? Far from that. Carolinajazz and other posters through this very thread make racy comments. But I don't need to defend or prove myself to you.

First off, who are you? You come and bombard me as if this is your problem. It ain't! Are you Verlin orJazzSpazzs daddy? You his predominant *** kisser? I didn't need an input from you. Stay out of conversations you don't have any business in.

And I made a mistake. I admit that. But racism? Far from that. Carolinajazz and other posters through this very thread make racy comments. But I don't need to defend or prove myself to you.
Don't make comments in a public forum if you don't want anybody else to comment on them.

Racist? I'm defending another man his exact race. Really though I just had 2 beers and wanted to speak my mind. I was pissed JH didn't play and thought Corbin was the main orchestrator. Could still be. But Racist? I hear a lot of other people on this board talk more jive and b.s about a black man on here than damn Uncle Tom. You should get on the likes of other people who say "oh wow 3 black people are in the seats!" The w/b ratio here is like 100/1 and people have taken advantage of that countless amount of times.

And Jazz Spazz, get real you mamaluke. Italian American here, fool.
Let me see if I get this straight: Tyrone Corbin is AN UNCLE TOM because he didn't play a guy that was just signed, is coming off of an ACL injury, and hasn't had a physical yet at an EVENT that really doesn't matter?

There's a lot of curious things about this idea, but just let us know when you come back to earth.

Memo ran the floor well - and that's a victory in itself considering the injury.
I had same injury as Memo being 3 years younger than him. In fact it was even worse as I had 3 ligaments ****ed up. Matter of the fact in 3 months I could start running and in 5-6 months I could run 5 full courts same time as pre-injury. What I lost is the first step explosiveness to one side on both defense and offense and confidence when going after rebounds. So running the floor is not a big deal to sing praises.

I had same injury as Memo being 3 years younger than him. In fact it was even worse as I had 3 ligaments ****ed up. Matter of the fact in 3 months I could start running and in 5-6 months I could run 5 full courts same time as pre-injury. What I lost is the first step explosiveness to one side on both defense and offense and confidence when going after rebounds. So running the floor is not a big deal to sing praises.
Do you happen to be 7 feet tall and weigh 250+ and had a problem running the floor before your injury?

1998-99 NBA Lockout Season

NBA All-Rookie First Team:
Vince Carter, Toronto Raptors, 18.3 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 3 APG, 35 MPG
Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics, 16.5 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 2.4 APG, 34 MPG
Jason Williams, Sacramento Kings, 12.8 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 6 APG, 36 MPG
Mike Bibby, Vancouver Grizzlies, 13.2 PPG, 2.7 RPG, 6.5 APG, 35 MPG
Matt Harpring, Orlando Magic, 8.2 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 0.9 APG, 22 MPG

February Rookie of the Month: Paul Pierce
March Rookie of the Month: Vince Carter
April Rookie of the Month: Vince Carter

Rookie of the Year: Vince Carter

To me it seems it took Vince Carter a month or so to really get a good hold on the NBA season than after that he just dominated.
. . . after he figured out that if he rested on defense, then he could devote his energy on the offensive end, which is what helps him make the highlight reel (and the All-Star teams) ;)

He is the main reason that I don't want Dallas to repeat; I hate it when carpetbaggers swoop in to coattail a title.