What's new

Scrimmage

This is depressing
Sorry it wasn't meant to be. It was their 1st game time together so hopefully they learn the offense and get better. Also 2 of our best players did not play at all. Favors and Kanter did battle each other a lot. And Kanter really looked like he was getting under Favors' skin a little bit.

No one is actually saying Kanter is a bust after a scrimmage. He just doesn't look ready.

I'm not saying he IS a bust, but he sure looks like one from what we've seen thus far.
It's too early to declare anyone a "bust" this early, but I mean, at this point is he even better than Hasheem Thabeet--another high drafted big man?
Even if Kanter turns into a decent bench player in the NBA someday, he could still be considered a bust due to his high draft position.
Look at Kwame Brown, he's a decent NBA player, but is widely considered a huge bust because he was taken so high.
The jury's still out on Kanter, but it's not looking so good so far. I hope he really makes some strides, as he does have potential.

All I saw were positives last night. Even Memo who did nothing looked like he was running the court well.

Raja - looked very solid, which was shocking. This was definitely vintage Raja. Let's hope this is a preview of what we are going to get this year.

Burks - how could you not be impressed last night. He has 2-3 beautiful passes last night, and hit some shots. Looked very active to me.

Memo is the perfect guy to mentor Kanter.

It looks like the Jazz will need a healthy Memo for at least a few more seasons. Kanter needs a big brother who knows the ropes and lives for the big shot. Lakers just signed Murphy and Memo is a much better "Money" player who the contenders always covet. Hope he is sincere about finishing his career in Salt Lake City because you know he is not getting any where near $ 10 million ever again. Maybe Kanter could move in with the Okurs until? It sure will speed up the growing up process.

This year's going to be more rough than usual for our new players because of the shortened everything. I don't see how anyone can take what they see from the open practice nor even the first month or so as an actual barometer for how good anyone will be.

If this were a regular season, the adjusted real games wouldn't start until the middle of February. Then, that next month is the coach settling on a rotation they like. The next month is the team fine-tuning chemistry with those lineups, if there are no changes. The rest of the year is getting into a rhythm as a team. The last month or two are usually when rookies either hit a wall and stink or finally get it and play better. This year, with almost 2.5 months cut out, we might not see that this year.

I say give the rookies at least until next year to show promise. Kanter will take probably 2-3 years to show true promise because of the lack of playing time anywhere. He's only 19 so that's really not that bad. How long has CJ been at it now? Think in terms of mental readiness and not physical. It can be deceiving when guys are so NBA ready, physically.

If anyone wants a challenge...?

It'd be interesting to see how well rookies did during the last lockout-shortened season?

How quickly did our own rookie(s) do that year as the season progressed? Did they hit a wall at all? Did they suddenly do better? How about other teams' rookies? If they hit a wall or suddenly got better, was it near the same relative point in the season as a regular season or was it sooner/later?

Not ot mention extremely racist and therefore offensive. Who the hell says that anymore?
Racist? I'm defending another man his exact race. Really though I just had 2 beers and wanted to speak my mind. I was pissed JH didn't play and thought Corbin was the main orchestrator. Could still be. But Racist? I hear a lot of other people on this board talk more jive and b.s about a black man on here than damn Uncle Tom. You should get on the likes of other people who say "oh wow 3 black people are in the seats!" The w/b ratio here is like 100/1 and people have taken advantage of that countless amount of times.

And Jazz Spazz, get real you mamaluke. Italian American here, fool.

Funny how two people can bring in two completely opposite pre-conceived notions about a player and then feel validated by watching the same scrimmage.

Racist? I'm defending another man his exact race. Really though I just had 2 beers and wanted to speak my mind. I was pissed JH didn't play and thought Corbin was the main orchestrator.
Yeah, blame it on the beer. Or on the flimsy idea that JazzFanz (not named CarolinaJazz) make racist comments all the time.

Or you could've looked at the very first article that shows up on Google (at least for me).
https://blogs.standard.net/ahead-of-the-game/2011/12/17/josh-howard-meets-the-press/

Or you could've just asked the question in a less inflammatory way.

I was bummed I wasn't able to go this year. But I went to the last 3 scrimmages and I can tell you one thing, although the game gives you an idea of what's to come, most of these performances mean nothing.

Case in point, Ronnie Price owned last years scrimmage.

I went to this here is my impressions.

Kanter: looks REALLY slow. I was shocked at just how slow he looked.

Burks: for everything I heard this offseason I was expecting to see a fluid shot and athleticism. What I saw was a shot with no rotation, that was also flat. And a little athleticism but compared to Hayward, CJ, and Evans he is not close in athleticism to these players.

Favors: Still struggled with fouls, got better after getting 3 quick ones. He looks bigger and stronger and had a great finish around Kanter early in this game.

CJ: Played well. Problem is not can he play but if he can play consistently. Impossible to guess after one stong game. Did look like the best player on the floor in this game.

Hayward: Played well. Looked ineffective on defense considering he was guarding CJ quite a bit. CJ blew right past him on more than one occasion. I expected more. Offensively he had one extremely nice pass and played really well on that end of the floor.

Evans: I was impressed. Hit some mid range jumpers and had some spectacular dunks. Guarded Memo a bunch and shut him down with ease. (If Evans does not play over Memo I'll be disappointed)

Memo: Looked terrible. Completely invisible. Missed wide open shots. Looked slow. Tried to post up Evans and failed miserably. As a Memo fan I was extremely disappointed.

Harris/Watson: Both looked okay not great but okay.

Mcleod: Is worse than I remember. I don't expect him to stick.

Other camp fodder: None of them impressed Don't expect them to make the team.

Howard, Millsap and Jefferson did not play? Don't know why.

If I missed anybody then they did not stand out to me.

Forgot Bell. He looked good. Battled Burks on a couple occasions and hit his shots. Ran the offense better than last year.

Wow...

So basically CJ Miles is our best player?

Based on this observation, I'd guess the Jazz might win a game or two this season.

Were things really as bad as you described?

(gregbroncs) Pretty accurate on all counts. Bell and Miles were the best players on the court, which says a lot. Kanter looked really slow and I still don't get the love for Favors. He might be a good player in five years.

Now I remember why I quit posting here a couple yrs ago. Hell I had to create a new account.
Still just as bipolar as it used to be.
Kanter will be fine, Just keep in mind how much he has played in the last couple yrs, and how young he is.

I was bummed I wasn't able to go this year. But I went to the last 3 scrimmages and I can tell you one thing, although the game gives you an idea of what's to come, most of these performances mean nothing.

Case in point, Ronnie Price owned last years scrimmage.

I am surprised it took 16 pages for this. Thumbs up.