What's new

Game Thread September 1, 2020: Jazz at Nuggets - Game 7

Added to Calendar: 09-01-20

No fans then... if they open up in the middle of flu season I'll be kinda pissed... don't sit here and tell me my kids can't go to school in the fall but basketball is back with fans in December... will confirm to me that the safety measures were part pandemic and part political media fuel.

It's about the money. Lot's more money in playing basketball than in your kids presence in a school building.

It's about the money. Lot's more money in playing basketball than in your kids presence in a school building.
It isn't just about schools... I live in CA and they have shut businesses down for months ruining financial lives/futures... Locally we have not really spiked all that hard. Unless it is less about safety and more about election season then there is no way we are playing nba basketball with crowds in December... and if that is the case they destroyed businesses and financial lives over some political ******** they never really believed.

DM needs to have a big night, but here’s a list of the guys I’m watching closest (in order):

*Ingles
*Clarkson
*Quin
*(I’m gonna put Morgan in this slot, because if he gets the time he deserves, he needs to be this high)
*Royce
*Mitchell
*Bradley (dude has totally disappeared).

Nice list, but the lack of Rudy is interesting and not really worried about Mitchell.

It isn't just about schools... I live in CA and they have shut businesses down for months ruining financial lives/futures... Locally we have not really spiked all that hard. Unless it is less about safety and more about election season then there is no way we are playing nba basketball with crowds in December... and if that is the case they destroyed businesses and financial lives over some political ******** they never really believed.

it feels like you’re getting a bit edgy here. Sounds pretty conspiratorial.

DM needs to have a big night, but here’s a list of the guys I’m watching closest (in order):

*Ingles
*Clarkson
*Quin
*(I’m gonna put Morgan in this slot, because if he gets the time he deserves, he needs to be this high)
*Royce
*Mitchell
Bradley has melted in the playoffs... Morgan didn't go far enough out on JM and got a jumper in his eye but I think TB would end up giving up an and 1 three pointer in that situation. We should just take intentional fouls when Rudy is off the floor. Target Craig or Harris.

Nice list, but the lack of Rudy is interesting and not really worried about Mitchell.
That isn’t a list of worries.

Rudy is gonna do what Rudy does. His impact on the offense will be the usual mix of unnoticed things and a mirror to how well the offense as a whole is functioning. Basically, if the people I’m watching show up, then Rudy will be more than fine. Ingles needs to be involved for Rudy’s sake. Clarkson needs to power the bench for Rudy’s rest. Q needs to make some adjustments in order to help Rudy in both sides of the ball. Etc.

Bradley has melted in the playoffs... Morgan didn't go far enough out on JM and got a jumper in his eye but I think TB would end up giving up an and 1 three pointer in that situation. We should just take intentional fouls when Rudy is off the floor. Target Craig or Harris.
How did none of us see this coming???

<<GIGANTIC ****ING EYEROLL>>

I believe all the conspiracies on all sides at this point. Our response is so dumb that it makes most of them plausible.

I'm not an anti-mask person... I think that is actually the smartest thing we have done... its all the other stuff we continue to do that runs counter to the science that is silly... and its the over-reaction. By all means shut down the bars (maybe give them a license to use city properties for outdoor beer gardens), but every salon is shut down, restaurants... etc.

You and I have also had the fires and rolling blackouts which are great... can't go anywhere... can't go outside... I'm getting restless for sure.

That isn’t a list of worries.

Rudy is gonna do what Rudy does. His impact on the offense will be the usual mix of unnoticed things and a mirror to how well the offense as a whole is functioning. Basically, if the people I’m watching show up, then Rudy will be more than fine. Ingles needs to be involved for Rudy’s sake. Clarkson needs to power the bench for Rudy’s rest. Q needs to make some adjustments in order to help Rudy in both sides of the ball. Etc.

Yeah, this is solid. I will say I don’t think Rudy gets enough credit for his screens on offense. He might be the best screener in the league.

We've also had to travel out of county/state for what we call "Bootleg Baseball". Organized a few travel ball teams that get together and play. It just feels so dumb.. its an outdoor sport... very limited touching and they are all distanced (they also aren't the demo that the virus really gives problems to). It just feels wrong sneaking around to let kids play baseball.

One thing to watch for is Clarkson and his shots. We all know he's gonna put em up but in game 6 he was very off. I have noticed that when he has an off game he usually comes back the next time out dialed in.

He is vital to keeping us going and if he gets hot along with Mitchell and Conley we should win this one pretty convincingly.

We've also had to travel out of county/state for what we call "Bootleg Baseball". Organized a few travel ball teams that get together and play. It just feels so dumb.. its an outdoor sport... very limited touching and they are all distanced (they also aren't the demo that the virus really gives problems to). It just feels wrong sneaking around to let kids play baseball.

California is having an especially hard time. We tried the limited reopening and the full reopening and all that went pretty horribly. We also draw a lot of out-of-staters who, if they’re traveling right now, are not the kinds of folks to respect a grey area of partial opening. It’s all resulting in a clunky, heavy-handed response.

But before the attempted reopening, I have a few very poignant stories about local responses to all of this **** which have led me to believe there was no nuanced approach that wouldve worked from the perspective of mass public health. People aren’t joining things anymore.... they’re looking at any whole, and then create excuses for themselves to do whatever they want.

California is having an especially hard time. We tried the limited reopening and the full reopening and all that went pretty horribly. We also draw a lot of out-of-staters who, if they’re traveling right now, are not the kinds of folks to respect a grey area of partial opening. It’s all resulting in a clunky, heavy-handed response.

But before the attempted reopening, I have a few very poignant stories about local responses to all of this **** which have led me to believe there was no nuanced approach that wouldve worked from the perspective of mass public health. People aren’t joining things anymore.... they’re looking at any whole, and then create excuses for themselves to do whatever they want.
Full shutdown was never sustainable... so they were only going to get a few weeks. They needed to ramp up other sustainable procedures. The current heavy-handed approach just shows they aren't following the science and aren't interested in making effective judgement calls.

The messaging has been all over the place... Then Newsom seems to move the goalposts how and whenever he wants. That's not how you get buy in.

Full shutdown was never sustainable... so they were only going to get a few weeks. They needed to ramp up other sustainable procedures. The current heavy-handed approach just shows they aren't following the science and aren't interested in making effective judgement calls.

The messaging has been all over the place... Then Newsom seems to move the goalposts how and whenever he wants. That's not how you get buy in.

what do you mean? See bolded

I’ve started to wonder whether a science-forward approach would work with the post-truth American public. Science has too much nuance.

Mitchell is dropping 50+ tonight. It’s a little insane that I would honestly be surprised if he doesn’t score atleast 40. He’s that good.

Say what you want about the bubble but you still have to make the shots. He’s 31-56 from 3 this series. Just absolutely insane.
Not only that but if he doesn't score at least 40 I believe it drops our odds of winning by a lot.

Big question is can we stop JM from scoring 50 again. I kind of doubt it. He either needs to seriously regress to his career numbers, or we need to hope he sprains his ankle in warm-ups.

*Ingles
*Clarkson
*Quin
*Royce
*Mitchell
This has just exposed Bradley. He is nowhere near as good as Plumlee. Hell a few times in the last couple games Gobert hasn't been equal to Plumlee. Yes it is that bad.

Not only that but if he doesn't score at least 40 I believe it drops our odds of winning by a lot.

Big question is can we stop JM from scoring 50 again. I kind of doubt it. He either needs to seriously regress to his career numbers, or we need to hope he sprains his ankle in warm-ups.
Quin has options against Murray that he hasn’t even sniffed in 5 or 6 quarters.