What's new

Shall we extend Favors now?

See, I'm really on the fence about both Favors and Hill. The former because of his injuries and the latter because of his age, Exum and the fact that this draft's pg crop is unbelievably strong.

Right now, the only sure things who should undoubtedly be on this team for the next five+ years are Hayward, Hood and Gobert IMO.

Hill is a huge difference maker for this team. If you're not on board after the way he started the season, you will be within a month, once he gets healthy.

Its a pleasant spot to be in deluged in young talent, and Hill has been a pleasant surprise

Favors already played his last contract on a massive discount, he is not signing for 15 million a year. DL wouldn't call him in to insult him with that offer either.

Favors has never sustained a major injury. People are acting like he is on his second torn acl or something.

Agree, but it's the recurrent nature of his injuries that are a bit disconcerting. A bad back or knee on a big shouldn't be ignored. The guy spent the whole summer getting his body ready for the season and still got injured right at the start. Is worth to keep an eye on and how it might affect extensions negotiations (if at all).

Lol. This thread is terrible. Hill has missed like half the games he has been signed for so far, and people are saying we should give all of favors money to him.

We ain't signing big free agents, we need to keep favors. He has been productive and relatively healthy until last season. A bone contusion is not an overuse injury. The IT band, sure that's an issue. Get better training.

Isn't the idea of the extension to overpay up front, so we can pay him less in year three and four, thereby having more money available to extend hood and Dante, as well as re sign Gordon?

Again we are damned if we do damned if we dont.

Tonight showed us why we miss a healthy Favors. We have no lost post presence, and giving up key offensive rebounds late in the game.

If we sign him we have to live with his very grey health going forward. If we dont sign him we get games like tonight and against Memphis.

Again we are damned if we do damned if we dont.

Tonight showed us why we miss a healthy Favors. We have no lost post presence, and giving up key offensive rebounds late in the game.

If we sign him we have to live with his very grey health going forward. If we dont sign him we get games like tonight and against Memphis.

He also played extremely well for most of the road trip. We need favors, or we need to spend the same amount of money, or more, on another power forward.

Lol. This thread is terrible. Hill has missed like half the games he has been signed for so far, and people are saying we should give all of favors money to him.
Extending Hill doesn't necessarily mean we won't be able to keep Favors. I think we'd still have a great shot at re-signing him after next season.

I am a huge supporter of Faves, and have argued adamantly against the idea of trading him to replace him with Lyles. However, I've been in Favor of extending Hill as a priority for a while now, for several reasons. Faves is under contract for another year, while Hill is an UFA after this season. I expect him to have a great year for us, and I believe there's a considerable risk of losing him to some ridiculous offer next year. I also believe Favors is the rare player who wants nothing to do with change, and won't be as big of a risk to re-sign after next year. It also gives us time to hopefully get Burks healthy and increase his trade value, instead of dumping him for nothing right now to make room to extend both Hill and Favors.

If we could for sure extend both players, I'd think dumping Alec would be a reasonable option, but it might be worth the risk to let Faves go to FA. In any case, I consider extending Hill to be Utah's first priority.

Watching Brook Lopez and Marc Gasol draining 3's makes me hopeful one day Favors will start doing that. Was Lopez even known as an above average midrange shooter at any point in his career?

It's beginning to look like Favors will never get really healthy for a long stretch. At least not to the point in which the offense can be turned towards him. His recurrent injuries mean also that he's not going to develop much further. He may still improve his shooting and his understand of the game is bound to get better, but he'll probably get less and less athletic. People used to measure forwards and centers by the 20 points and 10 rebounds standard. It seems like Favors is never going to be a 20 and 10 player.

That being said, I would let Favors' contract run out and see what the options are at that point.

We should get Favors healthy and let him have a good little run. Then we should trade him before this year's deadline. Ideally, we trade him for a current wing player on a few year contract

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

At least we didnt max out Chandler Parsons, who got a bone bruise on his "healthy knee". The other one has been surgically repaired twice.

That is injury prone.

lunacy to give up on a player who can be as good as Favors can once he gets right. Maybe the Warriors should have given up on Curry a few years ago.

Favors is an underrated player in the league. I hope the Jazz will extend him. The majority of players have some minor injuries during an entire season.