What's new

Should #47 hang from the rafters at ESA

Smart people would never suggest AK is an MVP.

He is - 2007 Eurobasket champion and MVP of that tournament. Basketball is played not in NBA only;). And again if you look at his years with the Jazz he was clearly Jazz most valuable and best player in 2004, 2005, 2006 seasons. Just check team win-loss record with him and without him.

This is the dumbest topic ever.

This shouldn't be discussed.

If it's worth talking about AK being honored in such fashion, then someone better talk about Ostertag's # being retired.

Enough said, end of discussion!!!

It was his agent who was negotiating, not AK himself. Again, it was Miller who made decision to give him that contract and nobody was holding gun to his head to do it. They could let him test free agency but they did not do it as they knew he would have gotten same contract offer from 10+ teams on the first day of free agency.
You guys need to focus not on that max contract but how max contract player who was called future and face of the Utah Jazz by O'Connor in 2004 was underutilized by team's coach starting 2007. Jazz had a chance to let him go or trade for Marion in 2007, it wasn't not AK's problem that it never happened, he actually asked to be traded, don't you all remember that? Again it was Miller who valued ( or if you want to say overvalued AK ) and made him stay and fulfill his contract with the Jazz - so why you bitter at AK? All he did since 2007 he played the way he was forced to play - as a role player (with max contract) in Sloan's 1 to 4 dominated system.

You can be the biggest AK fan in the world and still not truly believe he should have his number retired, right??

Slightly off-topic, but I'm perfectly fine with #1 being retired. Even though he never played a minute, the franchise would not have survived without Frank Layden.

Horny, Griffith and Eaton? Yeah that's a little much but they were all fan-favorites and you look at some other small-market teams like Sacramento (Vlade Divac) Indiana (Chris Mullen) Portland (Terry Porter) San Antonio (Sean Elliot, Avery Johnson) and it doesn't seem quite as far-fetched.

Horny is where he belongs hanging with John and Karl, and the rest. He was a very important part of are championship runs. Horny was the final building block that propelled the Jazz to the finals. Horny was the final cog that made us contenders.

It was his agent who was negotiating, not AK himself. Again, it was Miller who made decision to give him that contract and nobody was holding gun to his head to do it. They could let him test free agency but they did not do it as they knew he would have gotten same contract offer from 10+ teams on the first day of free agency.
You guys need to focus not on that max contract but how max contract player who was called future and face of the Utah Jazz by O'Connor in 2004 was underutilized by team's coach starting 2007. Jazz had a chance to let him go or trade for Marion in 2007, it wasn't not AK's problem that it never happened, he actually asked to be traded, don't you all remember that? Again it was Miller who valued ( or if you want to say overvalued AK ) and made him stay and fulfill his contract with the Jazz - so why you bitter at AK? All he did since 2007 he played the way he was forced to play - as a role player (with max contract) in Sloan's 1 to 4 dominated system.

I like AK, a lot! He is one of the funnest players to watch. He's an absolute freak. He has a physical intelligence that is hard to put a finger on, but that I think is probably unmatched in the NBA. I like AK, but don't think he is a player that meant enough to the Jazz success to retire his jersey.

Horny is where he belongs hanging with John and Karl, and the rest. He was a very important part of are championship runs. Horny was the final building block that propelled the Jazz to the finals. Horny was the final cog that made us contenders.

according to that logic Ostertag and Russell numbers should be there as well.

AK's contract is probably the main reason the Jazz weren't title contenders in the Deron Williams era. So no.

I would say Okur's and Boozers inability to defend paint and that Sloan was constantly outcoached by Phil and Popovic in playoffs is way bigger reasons then AK's contract.

I would say Okur's and Boozers inability to defend paint and that Sloan was constantly outcoached by Phil and Popovic in playoffs is way bigger reasons then AK's contract.

AK is a poor man's Gordon Hayward

AK is a poor man's Gordon Hayward

Ludicrous statement ! You can't be serious. I like Hayward's future as much as anyone, more than some, but to imply that he is a better player now than AK is borderline psychotic. Must of had one of Gretzky's hockey sticks up aside the head.

In a word NO.

In a paragraph, the Jazz need to do something for the guys that come through that are fan favorites or make significant contributions to Jazz history but don't reach jersey hanging status.

Matt Harpring, Bryon Russel, AK, Okur, Thurl Bailey, Ostertag, Deron, Boozer, Milsap are all possibilities. Also what do you do with Phil Johnson? A Wall of Fame, or the Jazz High Notes or something with these guys names and some refrence to thier stats or something would accomplish that. The guy comes back, the fans applaud, name goes in the corner of the game floor and a plackard or something goes in the hallway.

And while we are on Jazz memorabillia, if I ran the ESA for LHM I would have Jerry Sloan quotes about playing hard and wanting to win all over the building--its a better tribute than a statue, and helps tie in the past to what is happening today. But the Jazz don't pay me to think up ideas for them so my idea will soon be forgotten.

Oh! Sorry!! You see i'm old and get confused easily. Thanks AKMVP, by the way you put up the good fight in this thread. You even convinced me. Oh ! Wait!! It was my idea to start with. See, i told you my mind was sharp.

Yes, please hang Andrei from the rafters.

Oh, you mean just his jersey? NO WAY!!!

And that goes the same for Okur, Deron, etc. Retired numbers are special. You could make a case for AK, but he was only dominant for a year or two. Then he was just a good role player.