What's new

Should convicted perpetrators of domestic violence be allowed to play in the NBA (Or other professional sports leagues)?

Thats a tough one. I think there are degrees of domestic violence. Also we could ask the question "should a banker who is convicted of domestic violence ever be allowed to work in the financial industry again?" Lots of folks have been convicted of domestic violence and are still allowed in the workforce.

I think this is a good topic to discuss.

Bankers aren't public role models, sportsmen are.

He pled to a felony. I would support a ban on felons generally, even considering the effects of uneven policing.

Bankers aren't public role models, sportsmen are.

He pled to a felony. I would support a ban on felons generally, even considering the effects of uneven policing.
Good point. I would say that there are probably some bankers or non sportsmen/entertainers who are someones role model though.

Thats a tough one. I think there are degrees of domestic violence. Also we could ask the question "should a banker who is convicted of domestic violence ever be allowed to work in the financial industry again?" Lots of folks have been convicted of domestic violence and are still allowed in the workforce.

This. How does the law generally apply to somebody’s workplace. Is Joe average banned from making a living in his chosen vocation due to this type of conviction ?

Public figures. Actors, sportsmen, politicians, etc.
Kinda seems double standardy. But thats life to a certain extent. They should probably be held to a higher standard due to their position i guess

I think as a general rule we should all be equal before the law. A banker who is convicted of fraud or financial crimes should be disqualified from being a banker for example. A sportsman convicted of match fixing or gambling on sport should be banned from sport. (Hello Pete Rose)

As far as the morality police go? Role model? **** off. This **** is a wedge, they are increasingly using this nonsense to control the lives of regular workers let alone high paid athletes or entertainers.

HR at work: Remember even when your not a work your private life is still an extension of your workplace and your actions reflect on us.
Me: Go **** yourselves, was my answer to that to HR, you want that sort of power over people go buy a cotton plantation in the 1800.

Once he does his time Bridges or whoever should be free to sell their labour. I would not be shocked if the NBA pressured teams not to offer him a contract (Mind you he only beat his wife, wasn't like he did something awful like speaking out about human rights abuses in China. Hi Enes Kanter) Teams will make their own decisions based around risk vs reward.

I think as a general rule we should all be equal before the law. A banker who is convicted of fraud or financial crimes should be disqualified from being a banker for example. A sportsman convicted of match fixing or gambling on sport should be banned from sport. (Hello Pete Rose)

As far as the morality police go? Role model? **** off. This **** is a wedge, they are increasingly using this nonsense to control the lives of regular workers let alone high paid athletes or entertainers.

HR at work: Remember even when your not a work your private life is still an extension of your workplace and your actions reflect on us.
Me: Go **** yourselves, was my answer to that to HR, you want that sort of power over people go buy a cotton plantation in the 1800.

Once he does his time Bridges or whoever should be free to sell their labour. I would not be shocked if the NBA pressured teams not to offer him a contract (Mind you he only beat his wife, wasn't like he did something awful like speaking out about human rights abuses in China. Hi Enes Kanter) Teams will make their own decisions based around risk vs reward.

Yeah the moral arbiter / judgement of whether a person is some sort of role model ?? Not a valid legal measurable argument

Most people with a felony charge will struggle to get a decent job. Pretty much every employer checks for felonies. If it's something they worry about like violence they won't hire them, banker included.

I don't think professional teams should hire violent crime offenders, especially dudes who beat their wives. But it will continue because money matters. Teams make more money if they win a lot. Most fans won't stop watching even if they don't like what the player did. So for the teams there is no real downside for them since corporations are pretty much without morals. I hope fans of the team and then opposing teams boo him every time he touches the ball when he comes back and even better stop buying tickets to games he is in.

Yeah the moral arbiter / judgement of whether a person is some sort of role model ?? Not a valid legal measurable argument

Just another form of social control, people love telling other people how to live their lives.

Most people with a felony charge will struggle to get a decent job. Pretty much every employer checks for felonies. If it's something they worry about like violence they won't hire them, banker included.

I don't think professional teams should hire violent crime offenders, especially dudes who beat their wives. But it will continue because money matters. Teams make more money if they win a lot. Most fans won't stop watching even if they don't like what the player did. So for the teams there is no real downside for them since corporations are pretty much without morals. I hope fans of the team and then opposing teams boo him every time he touches the ball when he comes back and even better stop buying tickets to games he is in.

How many wife beaters are already on the teams? If you believe the stats domestic violence is hugely prevalent (for the record I believe there is a lot of it. I believe its something like 1 in 5 relationships, however it is more or less a legal tactic in this country to get an AVO or family violence order as part of beginning divorce proceedings to force the man out of the home.)

Winning will cover all sins, if Michael Jordan's wide scale philandering became public while he was still playing the Bulls wouldn't have cared. Karl Malone's private relations, would they disqualify him?

How many wife beaters are already on the teams? If you believe the stats domestic violence is hugely prevalent (for the record I believe there is a lot of it. I believe its something like 1 in 5 relationships, however it is more or less a legal tactic in this country to get an AVO or family violence order as part of beginning divorce proceedings to force the man out of the home.)

Winning will cover all sins, if Michael Jordan's wide scale philandering became public while he was still playing the Bulls wouldn't have cared. Karl Malone's private relations, would they disqualify him?
Yeah, a lot is athletes are terrible people like Karl Malone. I think a lot of them should be kicked to the curb if convicted of something terrible. Karl should have been convicted.

Yeah, there's a lot of terrible people. I think a lot of them should be kicked to the curb if convicted of something terrible.

This would also be accurate, its just not a consistent reality so why is it applied when someone is public and not when it could be your boss at work, the cleaner at work, your neighbour and so on?

This would also be accurate, its just not a consistent reality so why is it applied when someone is public and not when it could be your boss at work, the cleaner at work, your neighbour and so on?
Most people get fired when they get a felony. They also have a really hard time getting another job. I think it's more often applied to boss/cleaner so on and not the athlete/celebrity.

Most people get fired when they get a felony. They also have a really hard time getting another job. I think it's more often applied to boss/cleaner so on and not the athlete/celebrity.

Most criminal records expire here after ten years if you're not a recidivist. Appling a higher standard to public figures makes them considerably more vulnerable to blackmail, exploitation and reputational damage.

Most criminal records expire here after ten years if you're not a recidivist. Appling a higher standard to public figures makes them considerably more vulnerable to blackmail, exploitation and reputational damage.
And, how long ago did Miles Bridges beat up his GF in front of their children? June?

Look, I don't think the law should say "You can't have a job" but any employer has to be free to say "we don't want you to be associated with us" especially when it's a very public job.

And, how long ago did Miles Bridges beat up his GF in front of their children? June?

Look, I don't think the law should say "You can't have a job" but any employer has to be free to say "we don't want you to be associated with us" especially when it's a very public job.

Unless he's banned by the NBA somebody will give him a job. I think the NBA probably want to ban him and should, but I bet they can't. My guess is the criteria for that sort thing is strictly prescribed in the EBA.

Unless he's banned by the NBA somebody will give him a job. I think the NBA probably want to ban him and should, but I bet they can't. My guess is the criteria for that sort thing is strictly prescribed in the EBA.

"The Commissioner will determine all discipline under this Policy on a case-by-case basis, upon consideration of all facts and circumstances, including aggravating and mitigating factors."

My guess? A minimum of 15 games. Again, he beat his GF in front of their kids. I think Silver will come down on this pretty hard.

Depends on the job. I have a friend who is a welder and has been in and out of prison a handful of times (a bunch of felonies) and everytime he gets out he almost immediately has a job

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app