What's new

Should the Jazz Have 3 All-Stars?

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
If the Jazz hold course and remain the #1 team by record in the NBA come all-star selection time will they deserve 3 All-Stars?

So there are 12 spots per conference, correct?

Let's get the obvious out the way.

1. Lebron James
2. Paul George
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Anthony Davis
5. Rudy Gobert
6. Donovan Mitchell
7. Devin Booker
8. Nikola Jokic
9. Steph Curry
10. Damian Lillard
11. Luka Doncic

So far those are all pretty obvious to me. So there is only one real swing spot. Should that go to a Mike Conley, or a guy like Fox, DeRozan, Ingram, or Zion.

Those guys have more raw stats, but don't have the +/- dominance of Conley. Conley being out these games might tank his chances, but I guess there is still a chance because coaches might value the huge amount of winning over the hype younger guys who are leading their team to play-in contention.

It'll go to Zion because marketing.

Mike is certainly deserving this year, but it would be DeMar or Zion before Conley. Hell I could even see Murray getting the nod over Conley with some recency bias from his brilliance in the bubble.

No, we shouldn’t have 3. We should have 4.

But Mike’s only hope is if a number of coaches voted as a legacy selection instead of Chris Paul. That’s possible, but it has to not split votes between Mike and other guys. And Mike will need to return to the floor somewhat soon.

No, we shouldn’t have 3. We should have 4.

But Mike’s only hope is if a number of coaches voted as a legacy selection instead of Chris Paul. That’s possible, but it has to not split votes between Mike and other guys. And Mike will need to return to the floor somewhat soon.
Conley has the best advanced stats out of anyone I think, plus #1 record. He's also currently at more games played than Paul George or Kawhi. He does need to return soon though.

Unless the Jazz severely dominate over this next stretch run, and Conley comes back as a man on a mission, there is no way they allow 3 all-stars from Utah. It just won't happen.

Conley has the best advanced stats out of anyone I think, plus #1 record. He's also currently at more games played than Paul George or Kawhi. He does need to return soon though.

He did get a 5th place MVP vote from media members doing a mock vote on ESPN. His advanced stats are truly ridiculous.

While this is true, I'm not certain what actually goes into the coaches' opinions when they vote. We as fans dig into these numbers, but they're often engaged with planning for the next game, and their game plans center on the Kawhis and PGs, or the fill in the blank that had so-and-so been healthy, they would have game planned for him. I think there's an argument for Conley, but I think the biggest thing that could sway coaches is a legacy selection where they give him the nod because of his career + contributing to current circumstances. I don't think they're swayed by the advanced stats nearly as much as we are.

You mean four?

Conley has been SO much better than Booker this year. Shouldn’t be close.
Shouldn't be but this is a good example of my point above. Teams playing against Phoenix will game plan for Booker, much more so than they will for Conley, and so Booker will be on peoples' minds in larger portions than Conley, which will translate into votes.

Klay Thompson and Alex ****ing Caruso?
SmdScreenshot_20210211-104006.jpeg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think if Conley gets in it will be as an injury replacement (like for Paul George). After Steph, Luka, Dame, Donovan and Booker, there's really only room for one more wildcard guard, imo. Ja Morant, Brandon Ingram, and maybe DeAaron Fox have a case as well. It would be nice though. Mike deserves it as a lifetime achievement award, tbh.

If the Jazz keep the #1 seed, beat the Lakers and beat the Clippers in LA, then I think that might put some pressure on coaches to add Mike.

I think if Conley gets in it will be as an injury replacement (like for Paul George). After Steph, Luka, Dame, Donovan and Booker, there's really only room for one more wildcard guard, imo. Ja Morant, Brandon Ingram, and maybe DeAaron Fox have a case as well. It would be nice though. Mike deserves it as a lifetime achievement award, tbh.

If the Jazz keep the #1 seed, beat the Lakers and beat the Clippers in LA, then I think that might put some pressure on coaches to add Mike.
Injury replacements are chosen by the league. The odds of them passing on a Morant, Ingram or Fox to insert a second or third Jazz man... I think is low.

Klay Thompson and Alex ****ing Caruso?
SmdView attachment 10287

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
The power of big market voting. So along these lines, from a league marketing standpoint, they are better having Caruso in the game than Conley just because he will drive a bigger return to the bottom-line, based on market size alone.

After such a crazy year (2020) I'd love to see Mitchell, Gobert, Conley, and Clarkson become All-Stars and see the Jazz win the NBA Championship. Clarkson an All -Star is of course really dreaming, but the others and the title...we go all in.

I’m a little more upset that Gobert isn’t even on the list and guys like Carmelo, Wiggins and a few others are over Gobert.
If he moved to LA he would instantly be in the top 3 vote getters. Simply large market forces at work in the votes. That is why the votes are stupid.

After such a crazy year (2020) I'd love to see Mitchell, Gobert, Conley, and Clarkson become All-Stars and see the Jazz win the NBA Championship. Clarkson an All -Star is of course really dreaming, but the others and the title...we go all in.
I'd like to see our entire team get into the game, so that way we could have 84 wins this year rather than 83.

No idea what his stats look like but I’d guess Paul would get in. He has a reputation in this league and the Suns are playing well.

Ingram deserves it, but I'd like Conley to get some kind of honorary spot, like when Dirk and Wade retired. Call it a wildcard