What's new

sick of being treated like the nba's step child

Fan base size and market size are completely separate concepts.

If they were the same, Green Bay would be a huge market.
Exactly my point. People point to the fact that San Antonio is smaller than Dallas and Houston and scream "small market" when SA's fan base is far larger than their metro area. It's ridiculous to claim they are a small market team when their fan draw is obviously at least high-mid to large. The "market" is bigger than just who can see it on local antenna tv.

Exactly my point. People point to the fact that San Antonio is smaller than Dallas and Houston and scream "small market" when SA's fan base is far larger than their metro area. It's ridiculous to claim they are a small market team when their fan draw is obviously at least high-mid to large. The "market" is bigger than just who can see it on local antenna tv.
Their fan base isnt that big.

I went to two of their games two years ago (a year where they sucked). One was a Chicago game and half the fans at a half empty arena were Bulls fans.

Their fan base isnt that big.

I went to two of their games two years ago (a year where they sucked). One was a Chicago game and half the fans at a half empty arena were Bulls fans.
Anecdotal evidence is the strongest kind.

Anecdotal evidence is the strongest kind.
What evidence are you using?

I've live in Texas. I'm from Texas. My whole family is from Texas.

The fanbase is definitely strong (due to all the Championships) but I wouldnt say it's big at all.

What evidence are you using?

I've live in Texas. I'm from Texas. My whole family is from Texas.

The fanbase is definitely strong (due to all the Championships) but I wouldnt say it's big at all.
Like I said, mid-large to large. And this is one only measure.

Here's another. #10

Like I said, mid-large to large. And this is one only measure.

Here's another. #10

Ok, now let's take this a step further and think what happened to the San Antonio Spurs in 2023 that possibly drew a lot of national attention to them....

I don't think the point is about the market big or not. The point for real star player is where they want to live, where their family want to stay. And 99.99% of them prepare to live in Miami or LA than SLC...

Screw everything to do with that. 5 year rebuilds are just as likely to turn into 10 year rebuilds as much as to put a team into contention. We have enough picks and assets, trading Lauri is for morons who prefer mock drafts over actual basketball.
How and where Jazz can find their ''franchise talents'' in trade market and who they are?
If you want franchise talent you have to draft and develop it because championship winning players rarely are available in trades and UFA market.

IF they were big market with huge number of fans they would have big revenue. Unless you want us to believe that their fans spend less money than other fans.

If I asked you in 1990 if San Antonio was a small market the answer was clearly "yes" and they would be a team you would consider a 'farm team" for big markets. They overcame the small market and became successful.

Similarly, if the Grizzlies become a powerhouse and grow their revenue and fan base by 2035, you would then argue that they are no longer a small market team.

Your logic is completely circular. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

While tanking this year probably isn't going to yield a star, I think the goal is to acquire a solid level rotation player. Someone that could be a peak Joe Ingles type player. It's not sexy but it's a foundational piece. Then in 2025 even if we don't get Flagg we still get two more draft picks from the cavs and wolves. Who knows what might happen with those picks. The wolves might not have Conley, Rudy will be older and Donovan might not be with the cavs. Injuries also play a big factor.

At that point Hendricks and Keyonte will be going into year 3 and hopefully each will have big leaps in their game. Maybe Brice is part of that group as well. Now you make a big trade and see if that's enough to win a championship with Lauri.

The jazz need a solid 4 to 5 fairly high level role players surrounding Laurie before making a big trade for a star. If they can't succeed in building that in the next couple of years then trading Lauri is the best move

I don't think the point is about the market big or not. The point for real star player is where they want to live, where their family want to stay. And 99.99% of them prepare to live in Miami or LA than SLC...
They want to be where the IG models are.

IF they were big market with huge number of fans they would have big revenue. Unless you want us to believe that their fans spend less money than other fans.

If I asked you in 1990 if San Antonio was a small market the answer was clearly "yes" and they would be a team you would consider a 'farm team" for big markets. They overcame the small market and became successful.

Similarly, if the Grizzlies become a powerhouse and grow their revenue and fan base by 2035, you would then argue that they are no longer a small market team.

Another thing that really helps the Spurs fanbase size is that they were one of the early teams to have big time successful foreign players who won rings as main pieces.

Before the Spurs, which team won a ring with their 2nd/3rd best player being a foreigner? The closest was the Bulls with Kukoc? And he was more like the 4th/5th best. (shooting from the hip on that one). I might be forgetting someone.

For the purpose of this discussion, at the outset, the claim was that small market teams are farm teams for the big market teams. Small market teams don't attract big name free agents. But market teams do. San Antonio has never had that problem. They are attractive to free agents. And I have already shown they are in the top 10 in fan base from several sources. You can beat your drum all you want but bring louder doesn't make you right. No one in the world would argue that Utah is as big a market and as big a draw as San Antonio, except Utah fans. It just isn't. You can say the Web sites I posted are wrong, that's fine, people rail in the face of facts all the time. But it doesn't change the fact that SA's fan base is top 10 and ours is bottom 5. Or you can find some other sources to prove that wrong. Or just live in your bubble. Seems to make you happy so maybe just stay there. It's safer.

For the purpose of this discussion, at the outset, the claim was that small market teams are farm teams for the big market teams. Small market teams don't attract big name free agents. But market teams do. San Antonio has never had that problem. They are attractive to free agents. And I have already shown they are in the top 10 in fan base from several sources. You can beat your drum all you want but bring louder doesn't make you right. No one in the world would argue that Utah is as big a market and as big a draw as San Antonio, except Utah fans. It just isn't. You can say the Web sites I posted are wrong, that's fine, people rail in the face of facts all the time. But it doesn't change the fact that SA's fan base is top 10 and ours is bottom 5. Or you can find some other sources to prove that wrong. Or just live in your bubble. Seems to make you happy so maybe just stay there. It's safer.
well you are arguing against points that I have never made or implied, so I have nothing to say about your tangents. That is the definition of living in a bubble.

The fact is that San Antonio evolved from a small market team that was undesirable destination for free agents into an attractive destination. This fact disproves your flawed hypothesis.