What's new

Signature problem

freakazoid

Ok, I tried to bring this up in another thread, but apparently it got ignored.

Right now I'm a little miffed because I can't use my old avatar, due to size restrictions, and my inability to edit video avatars.

Meanwhile, there are a couple of posters with video sigs the size of David Stern's ***, which cause my computer to lock up every time they appear in any thread.

Help, please. No really. Help. Don't make me throw out a catastrophic failure again.

So help me God, I'll do it.:mad:

Sorry man, I just spent some time trying to resize it for you, but it failed. It turned out kind of funky, and even when I tried to load it on here the file size was way too big anyway (like 190 kb or something). Maybe someone with photoshop, which I think handles gifs, can help.

Here's the one off the net I tried to alter for anyone that can do it quick:

Burger_King_Kills_Ronald_Mcdonald.gif

Ok, I tried to bring this up in another thread, but apparently it got ignored...there are a couple of posters with video sigs the size of David Stern's ***, which cause my computer to lock up every time they appear in any thread.

More on this general problem can be found here: https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php/1563-Lebron-kicks-kids-out-of-Gym-to-work-out.?p=37889#post37889

Maybe some computer whiz who is willing to coherently share his vast and precious computer knowledge with us poor computer illiterates, can help (assuming computer geeks with anything other than utter disdain for the unwashed exist, ya know?)

I just changed my sig, but the picture is way too big. I don't know how to make it smaller, though

Last edited:
Jason, I wish you would allow larger parameters for signatures...its almost impossible to find something that fits them.

And what are the parameters you're looking for?

Also, sometime AFTER August 5th we will remove the ability for you to link to images in your signature that are hosted elsewhere. We cannot control the image size when this is done. We are, however, opening up the ability for you to upload an image for your signature. Once the change happens, people will only see the image URL in your signature so make the change now.

That said, if you feel the restrictions are too narrow, lets discuss. Remember file size is what typically bites you and I don't want to have to download a 1/4 meg image the first time I read a thread with your signature in it.

Seriously freakazoid, if your computer can't handle a regular sized image, it's time to drop $400 and upgrade from the Commodore 64 to a decent machine that can handle the rigorous load of today's internet. I can't even believe your computer locks up when loading a small image. That is ridiculous. You're either 15 years behind the times or are completely overtaken with viruses and spyware.

And what are the parameters you're looking for?

Also, sometime AFTER August 5th we will remove the ability for you to link to images in your signature that are hosted elsewhere. We cannot control the image size when this is done. We are, however, opening up the ability for you to upload an image for your signature. Once the change happens, people will only see the image URL in your signature so make the change now.

That said, if you feel the restrictions are too narrow, lets discuss. Remember file size is what typically bites you and I don't want to have to download a 1/4 meg image the first time I read a thread with your signature in it.

That's fine, but right now the max forum's limit of 9.8 KB for uploaded images is ridiculously small.

Jason your announcement says: "As of now though, please go in to your "Settings" screen and move the URL to your offsite images to one hosted by us."

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I really don't quite know what this means, or how to accomplish it. Can you elaborate any?

As far as feedback goes, I would say that the avatar size allowed is way too small, while the signature size is way too large.

That's fine, but right now the max forum's limit of 9.8 KB for uploaded images is ridiculously small.

I agree with this point. For what it is worth, the .gif file that contained my old avatar image on the previous iteration of the board was almost exactly 1/4th of a meg. As far as I know, this didn't cause any real issues with the board nor did the filesize engender any complaints.

How about 100kb? Looking around, that's mostly acceptable and probably even a little on the high end.

Most browsers will cache the image once it downloads it once but that image on dial up (heaven forbid) will take quite a while to load.

About linking to off-site images, my signature can only be used as a off-site image. My signature picture updates with my xbox status every hour or so by itself. I don't believe it's a drain on bandwidth, none more than a normal picture of that size. I suppose what I'm saying is, would I be able to keep my signature the way it is?

No, Kyoto. The proposed changes wouldn't allow your signature to work.

This is the first "vote" I've heard for the other option... others?

No, Kyoto. The proposed changes wouldn't allow your signature to work.

This is the first "vote" I've heard for the other option... others?

....so your saying that there is no way I can get my ball bouncing off the hopper head to work anymore on this Jazz forum? Check that out for me, Jason...my buddy, pal and friend! Otherwise, can some computer geek out there find me another hopper type avatar or download that WILL work? I don't fully understand what options I have on that!

Sorry man, I just spent some time trying to resize it for you, but it failed. It turned out kind of funky, and even when I tried to load it on here the file size was way too big anyway (like 190 kb or something). Maybe someone with photoshop, which I think handles gifs, can help.

Here's the one off the net I tried to alter for anyone that can do it quick:

Burger_King_Kills_Ronald_Mcdonald.gif

.....seems like yours is still working fine and it can't be any larger or different than mine! Here's mine, see if you can tell me why it ain't workin!!!
https://www.math.utah.edu/~c-mnpd/cj_avatar2.gif

.....seems like yours is still working fine and it can't be any larger or different than mine! Here's mine, see if you can tell me why it ain't workin!!!
https://www.math.utah.edu/~c-mnpd/cj_avatar2.gif

*edit

Errm, this is if you want this:
cj_avatar2.gif

in your signature.

Go into your signature section, and in the white box where you normally type wording into your signature, copy and paste this: [.img]https://www.math.utah.edu/~c-mnpd/cj_avatar2.gif[/img]

^and remove the .(period) from the first bracket[/B]

If you want it in your[B][I][U] avatar[/U][/I][/B] you need someone that has a program that can reduce the size of gifs(the file type of what you want in your avatar), since yours is too large to fit into the max limit that is allowed on these forums.

Last edited by a moderator: