What's new

SLC Summer League Game 3: Jazz v. Spurs

I admit that was me. I mean I knew Brantley on the low end would have a 10-yr NBA career, but I thought his peak would be Millsap-esq with only 3 or 4 all-star appearances. JWF on the other hand will likely redefine the pg position much like Allen Iverson and more recently Steph Curry. And i thought Onyi had a chance to be cross between Scottie Pippen with better defensive skills and Reggie Miller with ability to drive to the hoop and finish.
So yes I was dissapointed in Brantley at 50, jazz were just fortunate the other two slipped .

As for unrealistic expectations and David Locke. He is probably just tempering expectations because these three are unlikley to step in right away and contribute at a high level. We will probably have to be patient with them for the first week or two of the regular season.
confirmed

So, back to the point of the thread ... Did anyone watch the game and have observations to share?

So, back to the point of the thread ... Did anyone watch the game and have observations to share?

Welp, all three of the rookies have shown flashes of skills that make them potential NBA players. Oni is a 3/D wing with good length and athleticism. He's mostly a straight-line driver and his finishing at the rim needs to improve, but he's got a few tools. He doesn't appear to be great with the ball, either dribbling or passing, so that's definitely something he needs to improve.

Brantley is showing flashes like a young Millsap. His motor doesn't run as hot, but he's got plus length, some real bounce and some ball skills that Millsap didn't have coming into the league. That step-back 3 was pretty audacious, but he nailed it. He uses his big body and length to bully defenders and get into the paint. I'd have to see if he can do that against bigger, stronger defenders. The guys he faced tonight were overmatched. Brantley's isolations broke the motion offense, but that was probably intentional. The coaches probably saw him as a mismatch and let him go to work.

It's hard to say if these guys are going to be ready for real minutes, just because they still don't really know the system, and they need to be on the court with the real team to see if they can really hang. It's possible that Brantley can begin to compete with Niang for spot minutes sometime this season.

Id really like to keep all three of these guys. Id hate to see any of them go to bring on some scrub vet.

Ummm... Brantley gonna be a problem. Both guys did well tonight. Imma give my money to Zanik to do some day trading... dude is hoooootttttt!

Agreed thank God DL isn't GM anymore or we would have run it back. He was so useless. Thanks Zanik you have been the best gm in our franchise's existence

LOL, DL is so useless that he traded for our two franchise players with a bag of peanuts, some chopsticks, and Trey Lyles.

Yes, ran it back we lost a year, sat on his hands during the trade deadline extended Exum then didn't trade him for conley so we got beat by the rockets again. Didn't upgrade our roster now Zanik does all the heavy lifting. So yes, all his bs of let's stand pat make changes within ideology is now flushed down the toilet. He was forced to trade Hood but wanted him to be our go to guy. favors would have came back and Rubio would be here forever and Exum signed to a Max contract.

LOL, DL is so useless that he traded for our two franchise players with a bag of peanuts, some chopsticks, and Trey Lyles.
I know right? I mean everyone knew Gobert and Mitchell were absolutely no-miss future-MVP prospects, that's why they were in the top 3 on everyone's big board for those drafts. All those other suckers who took players to fill a role rather than BPA and let them both slide are just stupid. I mean it's not like we ever did anything like trading up to take an undersized PG instead of the Greek freak or anything.

Are people unaware that DL is still making roster decisions?

I mean...we know this, right? Zanik is the figurehead, so to speak, but it doesn't sound like he has sole power to make a roster decision.

I know right? I mean everyone knew Gobert and Mitchell were absolutely no-miss future-MVP prospects, that's why they were in the top 3 on everyone's big board for those drafts. All those other suckers who took players to fill a role rather than BPA and let them both slide are just stupid. I mean it's not like we ever did anything like trading up to take an undersized PG instead of the Greek freak or anything.

You're right. The Jazz weren't high on those two at all. It's not like they forced team employees to not talk about Mitchell's workout or anything like that. Hell, he was just some undersized mediocre shooting 2, right??

There are few teams ran better than the Jazz. This idea that DL isn't/wasn't a very good GM is beyond ridiculous.

/I know you didn't say that about DL log, just a general statement.

You're right. The Jazz weren't high on those two at all. It's not like they forced team employees to not talk about Mitchell's workout or anything like that. Hell, he was just some undersized mediocre shooting 2, right??

There are few teams ran better than the Jazz. This idea that DL isn't/wasn't a very good GM is beyond ridiculous.

/I know you didn't say that about DL log, just a general statement.
Really DL got lucky with both of those pics. Just like Milwaukee did with giannis. It doesn't make him a savant to have a couple late first rounders pay off. It happens From time to time but it was even money they wouldn't. We even had Gobert detractors here for a season or 2, and he did play in the g league a bit. I think DL has done a worse than average job at roster management, and I think his short-sightedness cost us in terms of holding good players as well as not taking the risks necessary to win. The FO making some moves this year isn't particularly bold either, because there was so much writing on the wall that literally everyone knew they had to do something or risk losing not just their 2 budding stars, but a good chunk of fan support as well.

Really DL got lucky with both of those pics. Just like Milwaukee did with giannis. It doesn't make him a savant to have a couple late first rounders pay off. It happens From time to time but it was even money they wouldn't. We even had Gobert detractors here for a season or 2, and he did play in the g league a bit. I think DL has done a worse than average job at roster management, and I think his short-sightedness cost us in terms of holding good players as well as not taking the risks necessary to win. The FO making some moves this year isn't particularly bold either, because there was so much writing on the wall that literally everyone knew they had to do something or risk losing not just their 2 budding stars, but a good chunk of fan support as well.

If you think DL has done a worse than average job at roster management, then I'm afraid you don't pay attention to the rest of the league.

If you think DL has done a worse than average job at roster management, then I'm afraid you don't pay attention to the rest of the league.
Maybe you don't if you over-rate it that much.

Yes, ran it back we lost a year, sat on his hands during the trade deadline extended Exum then didn't trade him for conley so we got beat by the rockets again. Didn't upgrade our roster now Zanik does all the heavy lifting. So yes, all his bs of let's stand pat make changes within ideology is now flushed down the toilet. He was forced to trade Hood but wanted him to be our go to guy. favors would have came back and Rubio would be here forever and Exum signed to a Max contract.

Like I said, LOL.

Gobert and Mitchell are most certainly _the_ heavy lifting. So it is clear that yer just trolling.

Speaking of trolling. Right on cue.

Like I said, LOL.

Gobert and Mitchell are most certainly _the_ heavy lifting. So it is clear that yer just trolling.

Clearly im just trolling since I've been here before you. DL got lucky with Mitchell.

Remember Burke, Lyles, Hood , Exum Allen ? How did they pan out also Hill ? And Bradley? The run back and the laying of eggs in the off-season and trade deadline ? Yep all DL ? Zanik comes here and does more than DL' s tenure so yeah
Talk more about the holistic situation not 2 instances.