What's new

SLTRiB: No official announcement, but Jazz have tendered qualifying offer to FES

Fes is no Millsap.

You're right, he's worth more to the Jazz right now than Millsap was last year. At least last year we had Boozer for one more year. At the Jazz's center spot right now, we only have Kosta.

Seriously, if Portland were to jackpot around with the Jazz right now, they'd deliver a critical blow. Seriously, who the hell will we have at the 5 next year?

You're right, he's worth more to the Jazz right now than Millsap was last year. At least last year we had Boozer for one more year. At the Jazz's center spot right now, we only have Kosta.

Seriously, if Portland were to jackpot around with the Jazz right now, they'd deliver a critical blow. Seriously, who the hell will we have at the 5 next year?

Is it already a foregone conclusion that Okur will not play this year?

Couldn't some team like Portland really screw us over by offering Fess something more than we'd want to offer? With Memo out and Kosta sucking, we cannot lose Fess right now.

So again, couldn't Portland or some other team really stick it to us by offering Fess nothing that they couldn't handle but a lot more than the Jazz would want to offer?
Yes, but their offer would count against their cap space for up to a week until the Jazz either matched or delined. Then, I believe, that player couldn't be traded for 1 year.

Jazz will let other teams set the market for both. Fes is big and had some moments in the playoffs. I could see someone offering him a 2-yr deal for $5M.

Matthews should get a similar deal to CJ, maybe a bit higher since he's proven he can start. Jazz won't have much of the MLE left.

Yes, but their offer would count against their cap space for up to a week until the Jazz either matched or delined. Then, I believe, that player couldn't be traded for 1 year.

Jazz will let other teams set the market for both. Fes is big and had some moments in the playoffs. I could see someone offering him a 2-yr deal for $5M.

Matthews should get a similar deal to CJ, maybe a bit higher since he's proven he can start. Jazz won't have much of the MLE left.

Why would Portland care? Their owner isn't afraid of spending money.

They don't need to go out and offer him a max deal right now. They just need to offer him more money than what the Jazz want to use on him.

That's the beauty of it, if the Jazz decline, they literally only have one healthy center on their roster, Kosta. If the Jazz match, then they will have paid more money than they wanted on a player.

I think that there may be a few teams looking to jackpot around with the Jazz just to force them to overspend on Fess.

Is it already a foregone conclusion that Okur will not play this year?

For a lot of it. 6-9 months is typically the recovery time. At the very best, Memo is back by November. He won't go back to playing 30+ minutes immediately either. The Jazz will take probably a good month or two to ease him back.

And who knows how effective he'll be once he comes back.

I noticed the job opening. Why is Ross leaving?

From wikipedia:

"On January 16, 2010, the Associated Press reported that Affiliated Media, parent of MediaNews, will file for Chapter II bankruptcy protection. Under the plan, company debt would fall to $165 million from about $930 million. Senior lenders would swap debt for stock."

He's the only decent writer they have on staff and his last gig was in LA- I'm guessing he has better offers and with the SL Trib parent in bankruptcy they can't do much to keep him (if they didn't fire him themselves so they can hire some cheap local)...

From wikipedia:

"On January 16, 2010, the Associated Press reported that Affiliated Media, parent of MediaNews, will file for Chapter II bankruptcy protection. Under the plan, company debt would fall to $165 million from about $930 million. Senior lenders would swap debt for stock."

He's the only decent writer they have on staff and his last gig was in LA- I'm guessing he has better offers and with the SL Trib parent in bankruptcy they can't do much to keep him (if they didn't fire him themselves so they can hire some cheap local)...
Good guess, but he's going to law school. Inside sources have confirmed this.

Dude, Siler absolutely rocked. He is one of the better beat writers out there. He will be missed. Luhm is a homer hack.

06/06/10 -
Bye to a most excellent Ross Siler

I'm going to miss him. He was a great reporter and I considered him a friend. He will make a great attorney though.

Don't say I didn't tell you first. I can't help it if you don't read everything.

Couldn't some team like Portland really screw us over by offering Fess something more than we'd want to offer? With Memo out and Kosta sucking, we cannot lose Fess right now.

So again, couldn't Portland or some other team really stick it to us by offering Fess nothing that they couldn't handle but a lot more than the Jazz would want to offer?

Portland had a chance to screw up the Lakers by trying to offer Odom a large contract when Odom was upset by the Lakers' initial offer, but they opted for Andre Miller, so I think we are safe.

Portland had a chance to screw up the Lakers by trying to offer Odom a large contract when Odom was upset by the Lakers' initial offer, but they opted for Andre Miller, so I think we are safe.
Um, Portland did "screw up" the Jazz, at least financially, by signing Millsap to a contract for more $$ than Utah wanted to pay. Utah begrudgingly matched.

Good guess, but he's going to law school. Inside sources have confirmed this.

Speaking as someone who has gone to law school (and once publically considered quitting on the old board) I can unequivocally state that this is a mistake. I would have traded jobs with him every day of the week.

It's not about titles. It is about leveraging ones experience and contacts within the sports world, combined with a law degree to be team counsel somewhere.