What's new

Smartphones to replace computers soon

Funny, all I could find is this...

That's what kept coming up for me too. That's why I think it's some random, maybe connected, thread that morphed into the pitbull discussion.

My sophomore year of high school (2000?), my history teacher told us that palm pilots were replacing computers. She said computers “are going bye-bye.”

Palm pilots and PDAs (if anyone remembers that term) really fizzled out. I guess you could say that number of years later that smart phones built off the idea of Palm Pilots.

My sophomore year of high school (2000?), my history teacher told us that palm pilots were replacing computers. She said computers “are going bye-bye.”

Palm pilots and PDAs (if anyone remembers that term) really fizzled out. I guess you could say that number of years later that smart phones built off the idea of Palm Pilots.

Honest question that I don’t know the answer to:
Are Blackberry’s still a thing? Or is that what you’re calling a PDA?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Apple Stock was about $2 back then, factoring in the splits.

Hey this is getting some press again.

It has only been 10 years since this abortion of a thread was created. Maybe in another 10 it will come to fruition.

I want to see everyone's sick smartphone docking stations...

...anyone?

That was Salty's counter to a lot of the arguments against smartphones replacing PCs, that there would be keyboards and mice and large screens that we would all hook up to our phones. While things like bluetooth keyboards can be used with a phone, it isn't particularly common. Mice and monitors? Not really. I mean some people "cast" the streams they get off their phone onto their full size TV. Almost no one connects their phone to a computer monitor and keyboard for daily tasks.

Smartphone software has gotten batter about making things friendly for mobile screens, but I'd still hate to try to write a book on a phone or to create a resume and cover letter on a phone.

Meanwhile, you can't buy desktop PC parts to save your life right now because they are so in demand they can't be mass produced fast enough.

Computers are sticking around. It's simple really: anything you can do on a smartphone, a computer will be able to do it better.

Each has its place in society. The only way computers will go away is if they do this: