What's new

So An Earthquake Just To Keep Us On Our Toes?

So this is not a joke, it is being reported that 32,000 Magna residence are without power. Hope they get that figured out quickly.

As far as I can tell, no damage to my house. Only one thing fell off a shelf. The pictures aren't even crooked. But I'm a little north in Ogden area.

2020 sucks.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Does the saying "hindsight is 2020" mean that 2020 looks like ***?

As we were getting out of bed, our two year old was saying “hey, hey, hey, hey...” and my wife repeated her. Then the opening riff of Tool’s ænima went through my head. About 30 seconds later I realized that perhaps that’s an appropriate song.

Spoiler for teh profanities:

Maybe chorus should be “learn to code.”

My dog had some weird six sense to the quake. She started barking like crazy and I thought someone had broken into the house. I sat up and then it felt like I just put a few quarters into a vibrating bed. I just laid there while my house shook. It was an eerie feeling. I knew what was happening and wasn't scared at all.

As far as I can tell, no damage to my house. Only one thing fell off a shelf. The pictures aren't even crooked. But I'm a little north in Ogden area.

2020 sucks.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app
My parents are in Washington terrace, just called me and told me about it. Pretty crazy. Bed shaking all over, blinds moving around, some things fell over, a couple pictures fell.

Here in California we call that Thursday.

My dog had some weird six sense to the quake. She started barking like crazy and I thought someone had broken into the house. I sat up and then it felt like I just put a few quarters into a vibrating bed. I just laid there while my house shook. It was an eerie feeling. I knew what was happening and wasn't scared at all.
This happens a lot with dogs. One quake we had here the dogs in the neighborhood woke me up maybe 5 minutes before it hit. Making all kinds of unsettling noises. I understand as the plates start to shift they release very high pitched waves the dogs can pick up on and we can't. Crazy stuff to be sure.

84556293_10157159793262864_2386573555266486272_n.jpg

This happens a lot with dogs. One quake we had here the dogs in the neighborhood woke me up maybe 5 minutes before it hit. Making all kinds of unsettling noises. I understand as the plates start to shift they release very high pitched waves the dogs can pick up on and we can't. Crazy stuff to be sure.

Where many animals are concerned, it's true of earthquakes and other natural disasters:

https://www.icarus.mpg.de/28810/animals-warning-sensors

“When animals go crazy, run away from the sea and go to the highlands” advises a song sung by Indonesian children for centuries. In fact, people in Indonesia reported that elephants fled the coast for the interior of the country before the tsunami hit. However, in our modern, technology-based society, these animal skills have lost their importance and this warning signal went unheeded.

We get an emergency alert 2 hours after the quake. What's up with the delay?

That should get triggered immediately after the USGS registers a 5.7 imo. Warn people immediately about aftershocks and the danger of the situation. After all this time, the system is inadequate.