What's new

So An Earthquake Just To Keep Us On Our Toes?

I know this is a huge word of mouth thing and maybe a bit out there but.. My friends mom knows a seismologist at the UofU and I guess he text her just to warn her family and get ready. He thinks there is going to be a 9.0 before lunch. Its 10:19 right now.

On the channel 2 news they said this rumor is circulating around and according to seismologists they've spoken to it's absolutely not true. They expect aftershocks to continue for the rest of the day and possibly even the next few days but nothing even as big as the original earthquake.

giphy.gif

What's it called when an earthquake happens in a place that used to be an ancient lakebed? It happened to Mexico City. Well anyway, The Salt Lake Valley is an ancient lakebed. I think I felt a little bit of that effect after the main shaking was over, there was a bit of "my girlfriend is getting out of the waterbed" feeling where there were some waves that lasted for several seconds. In a major earthquake that reverberation can cause a lot of additional damage.
Big earthquakes in lakebed, really anywhere built more or less on sand, can experience liquifaction, where the sand behaves like a liquid and everything sinks. It's the worst case scenario for the Wasatch front. Massive destruction in that case. Luckily it takes a very strong quake with specific wave types to generate that level of liquifaction. But if the main faults on the Wasatch front slipped it would be enough to do it. Even in a quake like today that's likely the effect you felt in a minor way.

That effect is sometimes called liquifaction.

But you don’t need to be on an ancient lake bed to have that kind of feeling. Different soil and sediment environments can result in magnifying the amplitude of a wave... sorta by allowing it to roll with a more steady rhythm.
Best me to it, but I added my 2 cents as well.

My work told me not to come in today because of fears of a larger quake. Seemed dumb to me but I wasn't going to argue. They are advising people to shelter in place, though, just to keep the roads clear for emergency service providers.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Everyone stay home with your peeps and relax. Everyone is mobilizing to address issues.

SLC, counties, and the State have immediate relief coming to businesses and employees.

Wow, when it rains it pours. We’re on this. You’re lucky you’re in Utah, believe it or not.

Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was sleeping when that first one hit, what a weird feeling. I didnt know what was going on.

My daughter literally told me yesterday that an earthquake was coming soon.
She had been watching youtube videos about what to do when there is an earthquake.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I was talking with a co-worker about an earthquake yesterday too. Pretty crazy.

I woke up feeling my apartment swaying back and forth. Power was out 3-4 hours. Felt the 4.6 after shock in my car.