What's new

So who are the players we should offer max deals to?

Doublea

The cap space these next few years is going to insanely jump. Max deals are going to look like nothing if signed right now.

@DraftExpress: New salary cap projections sent out to NBA teams: 2015-16: 67.1 million, tax 81.6, 2016-17: 89 million, tax 108. 2017-18: 108, 127 tax

@DraftExpress: Further projections sent out: 2018-19: 100 million salary cap, 121 tax , 2019-20: 102 salary cap, 124 tax, 2020-2021:107 salary cap, 130 tax

So which players should we be going after this summer?

Green
Butler
Leonard
Middleton
No one?

The problem is all these teams are going to match their restricted free agents...

Butler or Leonard. Or No one.

Even with the cap jump, we're going to have a lot of players to sign/re-sign in a few years. Rudy, Hayward, Ex, and Hood will all be due paydays vefore you know it. Then it's our draftee this year (which we have assets to move up to get someone good), and Favors due. Also, what about Tomic, and Neto? Does Trey get better? Booker needs a new deal after next year. Does Cotton stick around after next year? If we move to fast, we could **** up an uncertain future. It might be wise to save our money and not mess up the chemistry and defensive idetity this team already has. A draftee, rumors of Tomic, DL saying a long look at Neto in exit interview, and Alec are already a lot of additions to make to our team. Our best quality right now is our chemistry.

Cy would say Middleton, but even he would have to admit that with Hood's emergence, there isn't really a need to do that.

Kawhi is a slam dunk no brainer with Butler right behind him. If the FO thinks they'd actually have some shot at these guys you throw out the max offers with ease. After that I'd be willing to spend relatively high on guys like Green, Middleton, Demarre, etc.

Butler, leonard, dragic

No max contracts. Sign someone like Carrol or Danny Green to a 3 year 12 million per contract with a team option for the 4th year when we have Favors, Hayward, Exum to re-sign, givings some extra flexibility and a very tradeable contract. Don't even waste your time with Butler or Leonard. They might end up getting the 5 year max from their team anyway, and if not, any contract would be matched without question.

if we can get butler or leonard... we will be the best defensive team in the league easily

Sent from the JazzFanz app

if we can get butler or leonard... we will be the best defensive team in the league easily

Before you ever get to that point, you bring over Tomic, trade up in the draft and then see what teams will want for these guys. The only way Utah gets one of them is to give up assets. I'd gladly pay for Leonard or Butler, but I doubt either guy gets moved.

Way more likely to nab a RFA next year at the deadline - just like what we saw this year. Just because teams have the means to extend or match their guys doesn't mean that they have the desire to do so. Even trading away next year's pick to move up, the Jazz should still have plenty of assets to make a move at the deadline if they want to.

After all, OKC got Kanter for a heavily protected future 1st, a foreign prospect, a D-league guy and a 2nd round pick. There's bound to be somebody's headache out there that the Jazz can steal.

Before you ever get to that point, you bring over Tomic, trade up in the draft and then see what teams will want for these guys. The only way Utah gets one of them is to give up assets. I'd gladly pay for Leonard or Butler, but I doubt either guy gets moved.

Way more likely to nab a RFA next year at the deadline - just like what we saw this year. Just because teams have the means to extend or match their guys doesn't mean that they have the desire to do so. Even trading away next year's pick to move up, the Jazz should still have plenty of assets to make a move at the deadline if they want to.

After all, OKC got Kanter for a heavily protected future 1st, a foreign prospect, a D-league guy and a 2nd round pick. There's bound to be somebody's headache out there that the Jazz can steal.

Yep. Bargain shopping worked out well for OKC by getting Kanter for cheaper rather than Lopez.

I kinda leaning to not add a free agent now... Especially if we bring Tomic over. We will have him, Burks, and a draft pick coming to the team. I think DL would want to keep flexibility with the guys already on the roster.

No max contracts. Sign someone like Carrol or Danny Green to a 3 year 12 million per contract with a team option for the 4th year when we have Favors, Hayward, Exum to re-sign, givings some extra flexibility and a very tradeable contract. Don't even waste your time with Butler or Leonard. They might end up getting the 5 year max from their team anyway, and if not, any contract would be matched without question.

bruh.jpg

Edit: Wait wait wait, are you offering them 12 per year or 12 for 3 years? Regardless which I think the pic is still justified.

I do agree on Butler and Leonard. Any offer would be matched and all we'd end up doing is losing Booker and the rest of our FAs that would need to be renounced to clear cap space for an offer to be signed.

I kinda leaning to not add a free agent now... Especially if we bring Tomic over. We will have him, Burks, and a draft pick coming to the team. I think DL would want to keep flexibility with the guys already on the roster.

This. Unless it is Carrol and we can keep Booker. We should do that if possible.

bruh.jpg

Edit: Wait wait wait, are you offering them 12 per year or 12 for 3 years?

I'm not offering them anything. Might be a little higher than what they'll get, but I think contracts are going to increase a lot the next few years and Jazz may need to pay a little more to entice someone. Maybe I should have said 8-10 million.

No one. Save our money for Gobert, Hood, Favors, Hayward and Maybe Exum or another guy that comes out of nowhere. I used to think we needed more, I'm not sure any longer. I think we have our core and starting 5 for years to come. I'm pretty confident that any of the first 4 are going to be All-star caliber players (if they are not already). And Exum has a long way to go but I see talent there. I'm not cool with giving these guys huge deals and then losing the first 4 though. I love Butler and Leonard, but I'm not sure they are a big enough upgrade to mess with chemistry for.

The cap space these next few years is going to insanely jump. Max deals are going to look like nothing if signed right now.

@DraftExpress: New salary cap projections sent out to NBA teams: 2015-16: 67.1 million, tax 81.6, 2016-17: 89 million, tax 108. 2017-18: 108, 127 tax

@DraftExpress: Further projections sent out: 2018-19: 100 million salary cap, 121 tax , 2019-20: 102 salary cap, 124 tax, 2020-2021:107 salary cap, 130 tax

So which players should we be going after this summer?

Green
Butler
Leonard
Middleton
No one?

The problem is all these teams are going to match their restricted free agents...

The only way I see a studly RFA like that coming to Utah is if they sign a max offer with an opt-out clause after their first year, so they can make bank with the new salary cap jump.

I'm not a CBA expert, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong with the following scenario:

Let's say Kawhi Leonard signs a max deal (25 percent of the salary cap for players of six years’ experience or less) this offseason and his team offers an opt-out clause after year 1. That puts him in the $16M per yr range (2015-16: 67.1 million) say, with annual raises of 4%.

Then, if Kawhi opts out of this summer's deal after his first year, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. With the higher cap (2016-17: 89 million), his first year salary is now $22M.

If he has another opt-out clause in the subsequent deal and exercises it with the next jump (2017-18: 108 million), all of the sudden, he's making $32M as a seven year vet making 30 percent.

Is this even possible? If so, I think the next couple of years we'll see very few long-term contracts signed by players hoping to cash in.

Maybe wait on signing big names for a couple years until the studs are are unrestricted. Then that will provide the current roster enough time to know where the biggest needs truly are.

Utah needs to use there cap space this off season! I'd throw a max at Dragic. It's not phx, Houston, or Miami but his best chances to come in and win I personally think will be in Utah. If we don't get him, I'd wait and see if affalo and Hinbert both opt out and make a run for both!! If jazz have 20 million in cap space after picking up Bookers option and resigning ingles. I'd try and see if we could get affalo & Hibbert.

Also if Utah can't get Dragic, would u guys be open to a trade for Ty Lawson / Wilson Chandler if we traded Burke, Milsap, 12th pick, and a future 1st from g.s or okc?