What's new

Some props for DL from SI - NBA free agency: Winners and losers

Malone was a freaking work horse and an athlete. We forget that. He'd be great today, but as a completely different player. He'd be able to shoot the three and handle the ball. He might be even better if he grew up today.

Yeah. Have to think that both Malone and Stockton are transcendent players who could function in the modern game. Malone might even be better than he was. He's a guy who you realistically could pair with Gobert as a 4, or move to the 5 and make Draymond Green look like an amateur in the death lineup.

Karl Malone redefined what being a big was in the NBA with his speed and athleticism. But sure, let's just lean on this cliche that he wouldn't cut it in today's NBA on nothing more than that he played in the past.

Absolute ****ing garbage.

Karl Malone redefined what being a big was in the NBA with his speed and athleticism. But sure, let's just lean on this cliche that he wouldn't cut it in today's NBA on nothing more than that he played in the past.

Absolute ****ing garbage.
Prime Karl would dominate anytime anywhere. He could have probably been a hall of famer in a few different sports if he had set his mind to it.

Prime Karl would dominate anytime anywhere. He could have probably been a hall of famer in a few different sports if he had set his mind to it.

As mentioned earlier, he would've been monstrous in today's NBA as a 5. Frankly, I don't understand why they didn't play him as one earlier as he often guarded centers and did a damn fine job.

It wouldn't shock me if Malone played today if he would be a carbon copy of LeBron.

The old school Jazz wouldn't have to change much to compete in today's nba, they would just need to actually use the 3pt line. Stockton/Malone would still decimate with the PNR, maybe even with better efficiency.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Bryon Russell would probably benefit the most with an emphasis on taking more 3s.

The old school Jazz wouldn't have to change much to compete in today's nba, they would just need to actually use the 3pt line. Stockton/Malone would still decimate with the PNR, maybe even with better efficiency.

I don't know how many 3s per game were shot by this team, but I seem to remember the Jazz shooting a healthy amount. Probably above average for the era.

Can you imagine defenders not being able to touch Stockton. like in today's NBA? If Scotty Pippen had been unable to manhandle Stockton, the Jazz would have had at least 1 championship. Obviously, Stockton gave as well as he took, but he would be amazing with the new rules. With the absolute lack of legit interior defenders in the NBA today, the Stockton to Malone pick and roll would absolutely destroy. Think of the front lines of beef in Portland and Houston the Jazz had to regularly face, none of that happens in today's NBA.

I don't know how many 3s per game were shot by this team, but I seem to remember the Jazz shooting a healthy amount. Probably above average for the era.
No, the Sloan era Jazz were typically along the lowest in the league when it came to number of 3s attempted.

Can you imagine defenders not being able to touch Stockton. like in today's NBA? If Scotty Pippen had been unable to manhandle Stockton, the Jazz would have had at least 1 championship. Obviously, Stockton gave as well as he took, but he would be amazing with the new rules. With the absolute lack of legit interior defenders in the NBA today, the Stockton to Malone pick and roll would absolutely destroy. Think of the front lines of beef in Portland and Houston the Jazz had to regularly face, none of that happens in today's NBA.
Yes and no. It was harder to legally pack the paint back then because of the illegal defense rules. Of course, we also know that one of the pillars of the Bulls winning philosophy was to put the pressure on the refs to call it every single time, knowing they wouldn't. And they were right.

No, the Sloan era Jazz were typically along the lowest in the league when it came to number of 3s attempted.
I'm familiar with the narrative, but was somehow skeptical since Jerry Sloan isn't supposed to be an idiot.

Well...

The Jazz had the 4th-best 3-point FG% in '97-'98 and were DEAD. LAST. in attempts. Furthermore, they shot less than 2/3rds the league average. In all my Sloan grumblings, I've never thought him an outright moron, buuut...

He knows those shots are worth more, right? And they render illegal defenses moot, right?

*grumble grumble*

His theory was that a missed 3 would often lead to a fast break by the other team. I think that was the major reason he didn't like them.

I'm familiar with the narrative, but was somehow skeptical since Jerry Sloan isn't supposed to be an idiot.

Well...

The Jazz had the 4th-best 3-point FG% in '97-'98 and were DEAD. LAST. in attempts. Furthermore, they shot less than 2/3rds the league average. In all my Sloan grumblings, I've never thought him an outright moron, buuut...

He knows those shots are worth more, right? And they render illegal defenses moot, right?

*grumble grumble*

Yeah, that is why I think a guy like Russell would have been really good in this current era of role players who are allowed to jack up 3's. Imagine how valuable Russell would be if he shot 6 3's a game instead of 3. Same with Hornaceck. The funny thing is we had a team that could support a high volume of 3pt shots, at least in the starting lineup.

His theory was that a missed 3 would often lead to a fast break by the other team. I think that was the major reason he didn't like them.
In Sloan's defense, the analytics to break things down (what fraction of missed 3s result in fast break points, etc) didn't exist back then. It was all just kind of done via gut feelings, and looking at more general trends such as "How successful are the teams that shoot a lot of 3s?" By the end of his career that second question was starting to be answered, but for much of his career even that wasn't very clear.

But yeah, what if Sloan had had Stockton and Hornacek and Russell pepper the Bulls with 3s? Oh well.

In Sloan's defense, the analytics to break things down (what fraction of missed 3s result in fast break points, etc) didn't exist back then. It was all just kind of done via gut feelings, and looking at more general trends such as "How successful are the teams that shoot a lot of 3s?" By the end of his career that second question was starting to be answered, but for much of his career even that wasn't very clear.

But yeah, what if Sloan had had Stockton and Hornacek and Russell pepper the Bulls with 3s? Oh well.

The issue I have is HOW wrong he was and what it meant. Yeah, the analytics weren't as advanced, but dead last and with those players? Just insane. And if you're that worried about the long bounce, send three guys back as the ball is in the air every time. Furthermore, Sloan was more focused on the importance of spacing than most, so, what the hell?

Anyway. Okay, I'm done.

Not. Even. Close.

Why not? Physically, they are carbon copies of each other. Their bodies are the same. So, if Karl grew up jacking up threes and leading fast breaks, like LeBron did, they wouldn't be similar?

We know Karl had the ability to shoot. Look at him at the end of his career. Look at his FT #'s. If you put LeBron back in Karl's day and age, he's probably Malone. A huge, athletic guy that can outrun everyone down he floor and posts up and is incredible off the pick and roll.

Lol... You can have this Summer League W.

I'm at summer league right now watching Jazz Vs Pellies. Have not seen anything from Hield that makes me think he could eventually be even a tier 3 star. You know who looks awesome though? Kris Dunn looks like he's gonna be a stud! I was absolutely impressed by Dunn today.