What's new

something i don't see that often anymore

guards are flopping nowaydas.
trying to draw a foul instead of trying to score the basket.
that might take a few percentage point of the top

....Dutch! wake up!!!....we're talking about shooting percentages, which would have no effect whatsoever on the guard drawing fouls on defense!

....Dutch! wake up!!!....we're talking about shooting percentages, which would have no effect whatsoever on the guard drawing fouls on defense!

it DOES.
sometimes you see a guard driving to the hoop. but start flailing there arm like AK. trying to draw a foul.
problem with that is by flailing your arms there is no way you will socre the bucket. so if the foul is not called you miss the shot. whcih drops your percentage.
if the foul is called you can't get a and1 which raises your fg%

why are today's players dumber than back in the good ol days tho bro?

...for various reasons. Number 1 probably is the fact that "old school" players of yesteryear had to play at least 3 sometimes 4 years of college ball before they could even GET IN the NBA! Obviously, a more polished player coming out of college would have more refined skills and brains than the slop dummies they draft out of 1 year of college these days or even out of high school! A second reason would be old school players had more respect for the game, worked harder at there trade and had less distractions to side tract them from being all they can be on the court. Old school players practiced shooting NOT dunks! They spent time watching film, studying opponents and just plain PRACTICING. Todays slop dummies spend more time at strip clubs, tattoo parlors and hanging out with gangsta rap homies! I'm sure if there are any other old school guys posting on this board they could add to this list......but this should suffice for now!

...for various reasons. Number 1 probably is the fact that "old school" players of yesteryear had to play at least 3 sometimes 4 years of college ball before they could even GET IN the NBA! Obviously, a more polished player coming out of college would have more refined skills and brains than the slop dummies they draft out of 1 year of college these days or even out of high school! A second reason would be old school players had more respect for the game, worked harder at there trade and had less distractions to side tract them from being all they can be on the court. Old school players practiced shooting NOT dunks! They spent time watching film, studying opponents and just plain PRACTICING. Todays slop dummies spend more time at strip clubs, tattoo parlors and hanging out with gangsta rap homies! I'm sure if there are any other old school guys posting on this board they could add to this list......but this should suffice for now!

ok. but i meant to ask "Why."
like, why are todays players not practicing and instead going to strip clubs and listening to music. that stuff existed back then too right?
do you think that the fact that there are now more ethnicities in the mix as being a possible factor?

it DOES.
sometimes you see a guard driving to the hoop. but start flailing there arm like AK. trying to draw a foul.
problem with that is by flailing your arms there is no way you will socre the bucket. so if the foul is not called you miss the shot. whcih drops your percentage.
if the foul is called you can't get a and1 which raises your fg%

Dutch, you can only increase or decrease your shooting percentage by TAKING A SHOT, not by drawing a foul! Going to the free throw line is not a shot missed or a shot taken.

Dutch, you can only increase or decrease your shooting percentage by TAKING A SHOT, not by drawing a foul! Going to the free throw line is not a shot missed or a shot taken.

OMG.

if you try to draw a foul, thereby missing THE SHOT and not getting a foul call. you wont go to the ft line and THE SHOT WILL BE NOTED AS A MISS on the boxscore.

IF you MISS but get a FOUL your percentage STAYS THE SAME.

if you score and get the foul you get a make on the boxscore(which increases your fg%) , but since your flopping flailing your arms this is less likely.

overall the flopping(trying to draw a foul instead of trying to score) has an effect o n fg%.

if you dont understand this it must be my bad english.

amybe someone who gets what i say can translate it for you in jailhousetat english

ok. but i meant to ask "Why."
like, why are todays players not practicing and instead going to strip clubs and listening to music. that stuff existed back then too right?
do you think that the fact that there are now more ethnicities in the mix as being a possible factor?

.....well, the money is so much greater now, too! These guys make more money in one game than some of the old school guys made in a whole year! There guaranteed contracts! So why PRACTICE??? They get on espn for dunking, not for shooting 55% from the field or making jumpshots! The games a mess. I don't want to talk about it anymore!!!

OMG.

if you try to draw a foul, thereby missing THE SHOT and not getting a foul call. you wont go to the ft line and THE SHOT WILL BE NOTED AS A MISS on the boxscore.

IF you MISS but get a FOUL your percentage STAYS THE SAME.

if you score and get the foul you get a make on the boxscore(which increases your fg%) , but since your flopping flailing your arms this is less likely.

overall the flopping(trying to draw a foul instead of trying to score) has an effect o n fg%.

if you dont understand this it must be my bad english.

amybe someone who gets what i say can translate it for you in jailhousetat english

...if in fact, what you say is true....the percentage of change is miniscule at best. End of discussion!

miniscule?

for ak it probably could be 5-8%
Funny!
I think any flopping/trying to draw a foul is more than offset by the the phantom contact that now gets a foul called. In the old days, you could hand guard, get in a guy's face and knock him off the dribble. Nowadays the ref will call a foul not just on hard contact, but if he thinks the other player can feel your breath.