What's new

Sotu

Safetydan

I'm ill-equipped to begin this thread, but I saw that nobody had done it yet.

To begin, I fill like what was proposed in the speech was something any american could get behind. The question becomes whether or not follow-through can and will be accomplished.

I loved it. He touched on a few topics that I'm passionate about: Renewable Energy, the state of our current educational system, and government spending. My favorite part was his flat-out denial of earmarks attached to bills. Get that garbage out of here.

I will now go watch the rebuttles and read/watch all of the negative crap that will be spewed, but for the moment, my passion and patriotism for this nation is at a new all-time high. Go us.

I was more impressed by Ryan's rebuttal.

LOL

I fell asleep during Ryan's response and missed the Tea Party response. Shucks...
I s'pose I can watch it on youtube or something.

But so much for the Republican party's "rising star" - Ryan sounded like a very sincere high school kid running for Student Council president.

I loved it. He touched on a few topics that I'm passionate about: Renewable Energy, the state of our current educational system, and government spending. My favorite part was his flat-out denial of earmarks attached to bills. Get that garbage out of here.

I will now go watch the rebuttles and read/watch all of the negative crap that will be spewed, but for the moment, my passion and patriotism for this nation is at a new all-time high. Go us.

Agreed.

I usually enjoy the SOTUA. Say what you want about Bush II, but he had some really good addresses. What I enjoy about them most is campaigning isn't left out entirely, but it seems to be put on a side burner. That's what leaders need to do and what I want from a president. I didn't watch it all last night, but in the parts I saw I thought Obama delivered exceptionally well. I got more than tired of Obama blaming Bush every waking second of his first 2 years. He should have grabbed the reigns the second he was elected and not even waited until being swore in to lead. I saw him transitioning more into this last night. He's triangulating (and maybe this is the reason for dropping all the divisive rhetoric) and trying to bring the nation together. Good **** happens when democrats are forced to work with republicans, and when republicans get serious about actually following their m.o.

What I really didn't like is hints at continuing the M.I.C. strategy of the last three decades (or ten?). Enough military money already.

For the less serious stuff:

--VP looked like his usual drunk self. He was kiddie excited like a teenager invited to his first frat boobie party. Settle down, you dumb bitch. You makin' us all look bad to them Irin-I-Ans over thur. How they gonna take us seriously with your goof *** smilin' like a puppy behind your master?
--John Beener looked pissed when Obama praised no DODT. I also heard he cried. That's ****ed up Johnny. Republicans are strong willed. No ****ing crying you sissy bitch.
--I thought they locked Michelle up. She ugly. She damn ugly. That lower jaw seriously scares my *** nightmare style. Put that bitch back in the garden or cage or France or where ever you want to keep her. We beat out Hillary cause we didn't want to look at her, and you killed Palin. It's only fair you lock that thing up. Get her gone already. ****! My eyes burn.

That's all for now.

I am shocked, SHOCKED, by this post.

Nice sarcasm. :p

Kicky said:
I'm also 90% sure that you could have written this before hearing/reading either speech.

Then you would be dead wrong. Jindal's rebuttal last year was beyond brutal. Bachman's rebuttal this year was brutal. It's not about which side is giving the speech and then giving them the thumbs up just because they are part of any particular party.

For the record, I generally dislike SOTU speeches. As a rule because they are the most visible speech the President makes every year absent a national crisis they try way too hard to be all things to all people. There's always a million dog whistles inside the speeches designed to be throwaway lines for specific interests and causes; whether its a call for increased ethanol usage or the demonization of human-animal hybrids.

The rebuttal is always just as ridiculous. It's not like both sides aren't going to say that the state of the union is strong. Paul Ryan got the nod this year because he's presently hot. Bobby Jindal did the rebuttal two years ago, and no one is exactly beating down his door anymore. Bob McDonnell did it last year and boy is he a household name! Getting the hat tip seems to merely be a barometer of current popularity within the party as a potential growth stock rather than any real indicator of future worth to the party. To Paul Ryan's credit he seems somewhat willing to listen to criticism of his tax plan, but he hasn't changed the fundamentals of it nor the killer overly optimistic assumption that economic growth would be significant enough to completely wipe out revenue cuts his plan would functionally mandate. The proof will ultimately be in the pudding of whatever GOP budget looks like that he helps shape. I'd take him a lot more seriously if he hadn't voted for the short-sighted and destructive tax code "compromise." He's also starting to develop a track record of discrediting CBO estimates he doesn't like why hyping those he does, which is itself a marker of a guy that's not as serious business as he likes to represent.

Marcus said:
Nice sarcasm. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gf8NK1WAOc

I steal from the best.

Then you would be dead wrong. Jindal's rebuttal last year was beyond brutal. Bachman's rebuttal this year was brutal. It's not about which side is giving the speech and then giving them the thumbs up just because they are part of any particular party.

My impression is that you had previously expressed an affection for Paul Ryan and we all know how you feel about Obama. Hence, it was entirely predictable you could write that statment prior to hearing the speeches.

Simiarly, if Chris Christie gave the Republican address I would have upped the odds to around 99.99%.

Last edited:
For the less serious stuff:

--I thought they locked Michelle up. She ugly. She damn ugly. That lower jaw seriously scares my *** nightmare style. Put that bitch back in the garden or cage or France or where ever you want to keep her.

That's all for now.

+1

Our first lady has a worse underbite than Beavis.

I watched bits and pieces of the SOTU and wasn't really moved in either direction. Obama has always been a strong campaigner and public speaker. It's the follow through that seems to be the problem. I'd really like to get behind the guy because it appears he's gonna be a 2-termer. His approval ratings are starting to trend up and people's general opinion of him seems to be softening a bit. Plus I don't see anybody amongst the Repulicans or Tea Party that can out-charisma this guy when it's all on the line.

My impression is that you had previously expressed an affection for Paul Ryan and we all know how you feel about Obama. Hence, it was entirely predictable you could write that statment prior to hearing the speeches.

I'm pretty sure this is my first publicly expressed "affection" for Paul Ryan. Jeri Ryan on the other hand... :cool:

jeri_ryan_15.jpg

Last edited:
I'd really like to get behind the guy because it appears he's gonna be a 2-termer. His approval ratings are starting to trend up and people's general opinion of him seems to be softening a bit. Plus I don't see anybody amongst the Repulicans or Tea Party that can out-charisma this guy when it's all on the line.

People voted on charisma in '08. I think they'll be looking more for substance in '12. Who'll provide that remains a mystery.