What's new

Sportando: Stanton Kidd expected to sign with the Jazz

any summer league highlights of this dude?

I didn't see yesterday's game, but in the highlight package he pinned another guy against yesterday.

He seems like a good 3 and D type, but I love Niang so much that it's too hard for me to see anyone else. DL gets all benefit of the doubt on finding guys in EuroLeague doe... not even gonna question him there (like I do on various draft strategies/selections).

Just watched them. Clear super athlete, seems to have a few skills like a floater and a high-release on his three.

I like Niang's shot more, and he's a better passer and more offensively versatile-- but Stanton definitely seems like an athlete.

If both could be kept, I'd do it. I want to see Niang against NBA defences and offences-- and if he falters, cast him aside and let Stanton take over. As is now, I think both have potential. I think we'd regret letting either go at this stage.

Reactions: MVP
I'd be surprised.

Both Niang and Kidd could get guaranteed deals and they still cut one, like Bolomboy last year.

Or maybe they are going to find a trade for Burks into one of these teams with cap-space (highly unlikely).

The difference is Bolomboy was already guaranteed and Royce beat him for the spot. I don't know if they'd guarantee both knowing they have to cut one, but maybe if there's no way they'd take a 2-way deal...

I was sitting like 3rd row right around the baseline on that last jumper in the portland game... It was a lot tougher than it looked on TV... contested and he really rose up... was almost behind the glass.

Just watched them. Clear super athlete, seems to have a few skills like a floater and a high-release on his three.

I like Niang's shot more, and he's a better passer and more offensively versatile-- but Stanton definitely seems like an athlete.

If both could be kept, I'd do it. I want to see Niang against NBA defences and offences-- and if he falters, cast him aside and let Stanton take over. As is now, I think both have potential. I think we'd regret letting either go at this stage.

I see the case for keeping either... both definitely worthy of a spot. A lot tougher than last year imo, but I never really bought Bolomboy's jumper and he didn't seem super intellegent.

The case for Kidd over Niang is that you likely aren't utilizing Niang's creation and passing as much as they do in summer league. the dribble hand off stuff could be interesting and his passing will help, but there are obvious defensive questions.

Kidd is a pretty good shooter from what I can tell and might have a similar role, but is a plus on defense.

I'll still leave the light on for Niang doe.

The difference is Bolomboy was already guaranteed and Royce beat him for the spot. I don't know if they'd guarantee both knowing they have to cut one, but maybe if there's no way they'd take a 2-way deal...

They guaranteed Royce too though... That led to my now famous exchange at summer league with a Jazz higher up where I declared that Bolomboy better show something or he won't make the team and the Jazz higher up scoffed at me multiple times saying that Bolomboy would make the team.

I wonder if another team would give Niang a spot or if he'd accept another two-way. He would be an amazing fit in our system and if he's patient I think there is a job for him here.

It isn't a done deal though as it is "expected".

Nah, they signed Royce in mid July and Bolomboy didn't become guaranteed until October 1st, so they willingly went into camp with both of them guaranteed when they could have cut Bolomboy and saved money.

*this could be a reason they sell picks so they have the cash to do this kind of stuff*

Both Niang and Stanton haved play well. None of them are ******** the bed like Bolomboy did.

Its much easier to see Kidd's path to being a NBA rotation player than Niang's because of his athleticism to guard the perimeter.

Always a possibility someone else is going to make an offer to Georges. He's a RFA.

But he's also been at the Jazz facility all summer, went to the awards, etc. Jazz FO and key players really like him. And he's been their best player in SL. I see him making the team. Would be shocked if Kidd's deal is not a 2-way.

Nah, they signed Royce in mid July and Bolomboy didn't become guaranteed until October 1st, so they willingly went into camp with both of them guaranteed when they could have cut Bolomboy and saved money.

*this could be a reason they sell picks so they have the cash to do this kind of stuff*

Bolomboy was partially guaranteed for like 300 or 400k

A few things:

1. If people like both Niang and Kidd and would be sad to see one go, it's another frustration with the roster spot occupied by a person whose ceiling with this team is a 15 mpg backup.

2. Remind me how many games/days a two-way can be on the parent roster? (I know that is a statement and not a question, but it's hard to essentially ask a question in the form of a statement).

3. HH, have you ever identified who this "higher up" was?

Both Niang and Stanton haved play well. None of them are ******** the bed like Bolomboy did.

Its much easier to see Kidd's path to being a NBA rotation player than Niang's because of his athleticism to guard the perimeter.

I agree with this but I want them both so I think we should get 16 roster spots.

Rubio
Mitchell
Ingles
Favors
Gobert

Allen
Exum
Oneale
Crowder
Udoh

Neto
Burks
Sefalosha
x
Bradley

--

Yeah, basically all of those other players can't be cut. We basically have one space on the roster, and it's for a PF. I think 2-way contract increase team size to 17-- and I think it's crazy early to sign Kidd to a guaranteed contract so early on. At this point you have to think it's a 2way contract

500k of Bolomboy was guaranteed when he signed the contract.

Rubio
Mitchell
Ingles
Favors
Gobert

Allen
Exum
Oneale
Crowder
Udoh

Neto
Burks
Sefalosha
x
Bradley

--

Yeah, basically all of those other players can't be cut. We basically have one space on the roster, and it's for a PF. I think 2-way contract increase team size to 17-- and I think it's crazy early to sign Kidd to a guaranteed contract so early on. At this point you have to think it's a 2way contract

I basically said this a few hours ago, well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500k of Bolomboy was guaranteed when he signed the contract.
Yeah, but his full guarantee number was 1.3 million (and it was 450K guaranteed according to hoops hype). So they willingly paid him nearly an extra million just to get him in training camp to compete for a roster spot. The first year of Kidd's rookie contract would be 840K, so it would not be unprecedented for Utah to pay that amount just to get someone in training camp.