What's new

Start Hayward.....use Favors more

Beantown

Everytime he drives to the hoop good things happen. He's a great passer and overtime will be able to finish better. He is also becoming a better defender and Raja is killing us.

Harris
Hayward
AK
Millsap
Jefferson

Use Favors alot more against bigger linups. Favors needs to be getting 25-30 min against big lineups like last night. So Orlando, LA, Boston, etc. Favors should be getting more minutes. Even if its less for Millsap or Sap plays some at the 3.

We can score points with this team but the defense is whats needed in the last few minutes of the game, and thats where we are struggling.

We started the game great with Bell starting . We were up like 12 to 2, and then Boston went on a HUGE run. I don't think that was mostly on Bell. I'm not sure Hayward should start now, but when he's playing well, by all means give him lots of minutes.

I'm beginning to appreciate Hayward's hustle more and more, but he needs to improve his outside shot to be the starter that we need. I would still be worried if Hayward was our choice to go up against the Kobe's and Wades of the world. But Bell hasn't shown that he is much better. I'm scrambling my brain to think of a player who would be more perfect than Wes Matthews, but I honestly can't think of one.

Jazz need to switch from the "win-now" mentality they had under Jerry Sloan, which generally meant playing vets who were a little or slightly better over young guys with more upside, but who needed playing time to develop. Bell is not the future, nor is Elson. So I agree, give Hayward and Favors plenty of time the remainder of this season - win or lose. There is no excuse (other than 6 fouls or lack of effort) to not give each AT LEAST 20 mins/per. And I'd say even increase it to 25-30 as Beantown mentioned. The Jazz future is really dependent on Favors developing into an all-star caliber player. No better time to start than the present.

I was impressed with his pull up jumper last night. I hope Horny is working with him on getting his shot off in traffic. I was also impressed with his hard drive to the baseline. I know that Ty is trying to make the playoffs, but clearly it is time to develop Hayward and Favors.

We started the game great with Bell starting . We were up like 12 to 2, and then Boston went on a HUGE run. I don't think that was mostly on Bell. I'm not sure Hayward should start now, but when he's playing well, by all means give him lots of minutes.

Here's how that run went...the Jazz started off 10 to 2 and Bell had his only 2 points of the entire game on a jump shot in that time that made the score 10 - 2.

Bell remains in the game and does NOTHING else the entire time besides allowing Ray Allen to score 9 points (3-3 3pt line) and grab 3! rebounds....on the positive side, Bell got 1 steal that lead to a missed layup by Millsap and then he missed a shot 3 minutes of gametime later at the 2:20 mark before he was mercifully removed from the game for Hayward. The score at that point, 27-14 (The Celtics biggest lead all night.)

I'd put that 27-14 run almost solely on Raja Bell's performance in that 1st quarter.

Jazz need to switch from the "win-now" mentality they had under Jerry Sloan, which generally meant playing vets who were a little or slightly better over young guys with more upside, but who needed playing time to develop.

Actually, I am not sure that that Bell is even a little better now. True, Hayward has ways to go, but Bell plain sucks also. I just don't see any drop-off if Hayward starts now over Bell. Yes, he will have quite a few stinkers, but it's not like Bell steps up more once in 4-5 games. At least Hayward can get better. Bell can only get worse. And there is no drop-off even now.

Here's how that run went...the Jazz started off 10 to 2 and Bell had his only 2 points of the entire game on a jump shot in that time that made the score 10 - 2.

Bell remains in the game and does NOTHING else the entire time besides allowing Ray Allen to score 9 points (3-3 3pt line) and grab 3! rebounds....on the positive side, Bell got 1 steal that lead to a missed layup by Millsap and then he missed a shot 3 minutes of gametime later at the 2:20 mark before he was mercifully removed from the game for Hayward. The score at that point, 27-14 (The Celtics biggest lead all night.)

I'd put that 27-14 run almost solely on Raja Bell's performance in that 1st quarter.

in other words, "Bell +/-: -20"

This is the most insightful thread I've read on Jazzfanz all week... nay, month. I mean, stuff like this hasn't been said at least 100 times already. I'm so glad you started an entire new thread, because, well, even if it had been said 100 times it would be so much more meaningful coming from you. Thank you so much for your insight. Truly mind bending.

I'm beginning to appreciate Hayward's hustle more and more, but he needs to improve his outside shot to be the starter that we need. I would still be worried if Hayward was our choice to go up against the Kobe's and Wades of the world. But Bell hasn't shown that he is much better. I'm scrambling my brain to think of a player who would be more perfect than Wes Matthews, but I honestly can't think of one.

He of course does need to improve his outside shot. But we need to be patient and compare him to himself after he's had an NBA offseason. Significant improvements come in the offseason.

And i do think Wes Mathews was a great fit. :-(

Either we draft a SG who can step right in and play, package Memo next year in a trade to get a SG, or start Hayward at SG next season. At this point Bell doesn't seem likely to see much court time next season, let alone start...

This is the most insightful thread I've read on Jazzfanz all week... nay, month. I mean, stuff like this hasn't been said at least 100 times already. I'm so glad you started an entire new thread, because, well, even if it had been said 100 times it would be so much more meaningful coming from you. Thank you so much for your insight. Truly mind bending.

It'll be okay Franklin.

Jazz need to switch from the "win-now" mentality they had under Jerry Sloan, which generally meant playing vets who were a little or slightly better over young guys with more upside, but who needed playing time to develop. Bell is not the future, nor is Elson. So I agree, give Hayward and Favors plenty of time the remainder of this season - win or lose. There is no excuse (other than 6 fouls or lack of effort) to not give each AT LEAST 20 mins/per. And I'd say even increase it to 25-30 as Beantown mentioned. The Jazz future is really dependent on Favors developing into an all-star caliber player. No better time to start than the present.

this +1

okay Bell was on the court.

I still think that the other 9 players on the court, and maybe the refs, had something to do with the run. and Allen is only the best 3 point shooter of all time.
and Bell just had a good game last game that everyone quickly forgets. Putting the entire loss on bell is overdoing it. The rest of the team was on the floor , and the refs. the refs. the refs. Bell shouldn't oversell the flop so much though.
Start Bell. Bring Hayward in early, and if he plays better, play him big minutes.

Painfully true.

And I still support starting Bell and playing him only about 16 MPG by playing him the first 8 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters. This would allow him to set the tone, play more aggressively, and stay fresher. 16 minutes of alright Bell is a hell of a lot better than 30 minutes of burnt out, washed up Bell.

I would also consider starting Favors. I just don't know if Millsap can handle opposing starters every night and I've always had my doubts about that.

okay Bell was on the court.

I still think that the other 9 players on the court, and maybe the refs, had something to do with the run. and Allen is only the best 3 point shooter of all time.
and Bell just had a good game last game that everyone quickly forgets. Putting the entire loss on bell is overdoing it. The rest of the team was on the floor , and the refs. the refs. the refs. Bell shouldn't oversell the flop so much though.
Start Bell. Bring Hayward in early, and if he plays better, play him big minutes.

Instead of start Bell. Lets bench Bell and let Hayward and Evans play more minutes. I can't think of a single good reason Bell or Price should still be playing outside of foul trouble by Hayward, AK and CJ.

Start Hayward and AK give them 30 MPG+ each. Bring in CJ (SG) and Evans (SF) and give them the rest of the minutes.

Bell is terrible. Play CJ over him because he occasionally wins you a game. Bell was brought here to play defense. He sucks at it, and is terrible on the other end of the floor. So play somebody else.

Painfully true.

And I still support starting Bell and playing him only about 16 MPG by playing him the first 8 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters. This would allow him to set the tone, play more aggressively, and stay fresher. 16 minutes of alright Bell is a hell of a lot better than 30 minutes of burnt out, washed up Bell.

I would also consider starting Favors. I just don't know if Millsap can handle opposing starters every night and I've always had my doubts about that.

I think next year Favors is going to start with AJ and Millsap is either going to be on the bench or gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zf8t-uAzhk