What's new

Start Keyonte George

No thanks.

I would rather him adjust and get to play within himself so he isnt forcing things. His minutes should grow and if he keeps playing well earn the starting spot eventually.

No thanks.

I would rather him adjust and get to play within himself so he isnt forcing things. His minutes should grow and if he keeps playing well earn the starting spot eventually.
why would he have to force things if he were a starter? he basically played starter minutes in the second half last night and never forced anything and played within himself.

If we are tanking then yes. If we want the playoffs then I would hold off for more data.
Should have been playing kessler and ochai from day one last year and traded conley prior to the season

If we are tanking then yes. If we want the playoffs then I would hold off for more data.
Should have been playing kessler and ochai from day one last year and traded conley prior to the season
We're not going to the playoffs with this guard rotation anyway.

If we're actually trying to win, we need a trade ASAP. If not, Keyonte needs to start ASAP.

Either way, THT needs to GTFO.

why would he have to force things if he were a starter? he basically played starter minutes in the second half last night and never forced anything and played within himself.
He did play within himself but a starting role usually requires more of a player. I also wouldn't call 11 minutes starter minutes.

10 games is fair. He made a great deposit in the trust bank account last night imo. Played well within himself and moved the ball. Picked some nice spots to attack and got some good looks.

Realistically it will take an injury, trade, or 30+ games as rookies have to clearly separate themselves from the vets to get that nod but we will have enough evidence 10-15 games in to justify the move and tbh after last night we might be off to such a slow start that winning isn’t the priority anyway so why not play the young guys.

He did play within himself but a starting role usually requires more of a player. I also wouldn't call 11 minutes starter minutes.
I think it’s kind of the opposite. As a starter he can take a backseat to JC, Lauri and attack when he has advantages or space the floor. Defensively more is required but offensively he should be able to let stuff come to him working off our best players.

Yeah basically Keyonte is the only guard that can both pass and shoot. He should be starting by the deadline after they move out some guys.

Even if they immediately put him in the starting rotation Keyonte and Clarkson would probably be the worst defensive backcourt in the entire league by a mile. I think this is the deadline they do JC a solid and move him to a legit title contending team.

I wonder how a Keyonte, Clarkson, Agbaji, Lauri, Kessler lineup would look? Agbaji can take on the top backcourt player defensive assignment, Lauri the top frontcourt player defensive assignment, and Kessler to clean things up at the rim?

I don't know, we still have a lot of gaps. It's hard to put 48 minutes of cohesive lineups together.

he played 14 minutes in the second half. so that's a 28 minute per game pace, which is more than two starters last night and 3 and 4 minutes less than the other starters. but the bottom line is, while it does usually require more, it doesn't have to - as HH pointed out above it might even be easier for him to play within himself. he could start and play 14 minute halves and play just like he did last night.

Nah. The way things are we will be perfectly fine for the tank. Ultimately JC and THT will prove to be one of the worst guard lines in the league. THT needs to stick his *** on the bench, Sexton and Ochai need to be starting with JC and Key coming off the bench to replace them. Ultimately… Ochai is our best wing defender and a knock down shooter spotting up and Sexton is a far superior player starting than coming off the bench.

Personally I’m fine stealing our top 8 protected pick back, so by all means let’s keep starting JC and THT.

I’m so confused that Coach Hardy actually thinks JC and THT are the best bet to win games.

I think it’s kind of the opposite. As a starter he can take a backseat to JC, Lauri and attack when he has advantages or space the floor. Defensively more is required but offensively he should be able to let stuff come to him working off our best players.
Hmm, I can see that in some ways. Expectations are definitely higher on a starter though. I also prefer him to earn it over time. Which could happen quickly and that would be great but I dont want to just throw him in because he is a rookie with potential.

he played 14 minutes in the second half. so that's a 28 minute per game pace, which is more than two starters last night and 3 and 4 minutes less than the other starters. but the bottom line is, while it does usually require more, it doesn't have to - as HH pointed out above it might even be easier for him to play within himself. he could start and play 14 minute halves and play just like he did last night.
Maybe I am seeing the stats wrong but basketball reference says 11 minutes in the second. If he played 14 in the second that means he played 5 in the first? that doesnt seem right to me.

Hmm, I can see that in some ways. Expectations are definitely higher on a starter though. I also prefer him to earn it over time. Which could happen quickly and that would be great but I dont want to just throw him in because he is a rookie with potential.
Agree on earning minutes and I do think last night he moved that narrative forward a little. Was solid and made the right plays... I am in no rush. I was really impressed with his poise though. Was calm all the way throughout.

I do have a feeling with this roster we are going to feel the loss of Mike a lot stronger than we did end of season last year. The schedule is really tough to open up and getting off to a 2-8 start or something like that will be a nightmare to try and come back from. It would be our luck to tank the year after the big prospects at the top got drafted.

Agree on earning minutes and I do think last night he moved that narrative forward a little. Was solid and made the right plays... I am in no rush. I was really impressed with his poise though. Was calm all the way throughout.
I fully agree with that. I think he will be the starter at some point in the next 25 games or so. If its sooner I hope its because you cant keep him off the court with his play. I would rather see THT try to bully the other teams bench a bit unless he can really step up. I think all the minutes will be wonky though due to a tough start but more due to not knowing the roles for each player at all.

I fully agree with that. I think he will be the starter at some point in the next 25 games or so. If its sooner I hope its because you cant keep him off the court with his play. I would rather see THT try to bully the other teams bench a bit unless he can really step up. I think all the minutes will be wonky though due to a tough start but more due to not knowing the roles for each player at all.
And we may end up having an injury or two and this stuff all smooths out a bit. Last night was kinda my worst fears realized... so much dribbling and very little playmaking. Lauri not getting it in his spots, spacing was a mess, no feel or coherence to the offense. So much dribbling to nowhere and "my turn" going on. Key seemed to be one of the few playing the right way and playing with purpose... so very encouraging. Honestly more encouraging than if he had just had a hot shooting night and put up 20.

Watching last nights game, I just couldn't help but notice how hard it was to play with the other guards. They have no ability to shoot off the dribble. There's no drive and kick and when the defense doesn't respect the off the bounce jumper. Even JC is leaning towards mashing the ball into the paint and shooting tough floaters. We need as many guys who can shoot off the dribble as possible, and Keyonte is one of the rare guys that might be able to. Even if he doesn't do it well, it stretches out the defense.

Having said that, there's no doubt that defense was our biggest issue last night, and I'm not sure Keyonte or any rookie PG is going to do us favors.