What's new

Stephen A. isn't sold on the Jazz being a real threat to the Lakers | First Take

Lol. Came here to post this. He sees us maybe getting out of the first round.

I get that we haven’t proved anything. I don’t get ahead of myself, either, but “not proving anything” is convenient to be applied to us when it’s not applied to a lot of teams. I’m not even talking about getting past LA, he’s talking about us “possibly” making the semi-finals.

Fine I say. Let them all sleep on us. There is a first time winning for all dynasties, and this is our time! Years from now these takes will be known as the shame of many talking heads. They will weep for how blind they were to the beauty of Jazz basketball. Let them weep.

I have no issue with either of their takes. Max is a little more in on us and Stephen A is more skeptical, but that's honestly fine. They both would take the Lakers healthy and that's totally fine as well. Even Stephen A, without saying words, kind of came off like the Jazz could beat the Lakers which is a fair assumption. I personally think both teams healthy we'd have more than a punchers chance, but gotta prove it on the court and in the playoffs.

I didn't think either take for or against the Jazz was bad. They made some good points but everyone has to prove it this year even the Lakers. It is hard to repeat and they do not have the same team. They will always be a tough out in a 7 game series with Lebron but they are beatable. They didn't even mention Clarkson scoring or Favors being with the team. In the past AD has struggle to get his numbers against the Jazz sometimes too. It comes down to the Jazz shooting well and playing good defense. If they do that then they can beat anyone.
They have had a lot harder schedule than the Lakers and they are 1.5 games ahead. If the Jazz survive this next 10 games I can see them getting the number one seed over the Lakers so that will help the Jazz. I worry just as much about the Nuggets and even Phoenix because they have matchup problems too. In the playoffs you have to be careful you do not overlook other teams because they have talent and the playoffs are a lot to do with matchups.

That’s the most respectful I’ve ever seen Stephen A towards the Jazz. That being said, if he thinks there’s another team the Lakers should be more worried about than the Jazz, well that’s ***. And THAT being said, I would love it if the Clippers and Lakers faced off before playing the Jazz, and that’s exactly why the Jazz should prioritize wins in the regular season.

I thought it was a good discussion.

Last edited:
I didn't think either take for or against the Jazz was bad. They made some good points but everyone has to prove it this year even the Lakers. It is hard to repeat and they do not have the same team. They will always be a tough out in a 7 game series with Lebron but they are beatable. They didn't even mention Clarkson scoring or Favors being with the team. In the past AD has struggle to get his numbers against the Jazz sometimes too. It comes down to the Jazz shooting well and playing good defense. If they do that then they can beat anyone.
They have had a lot harder schedule than the Lakers and they are 1.5 games ahead. If the Jazz survive this next 10 games I can see them getting the number one seed over the Lakers so that will help the Jazz. I worry just as much about the Nuggets and even Phoenix because they have matchup problems too. In the playoffs you have to be careful you do not overlook other teams because they have talent and the playoffs are a lot to do with matchups.
'I worry just as much about...'

Nah bro, worry is for the poor buggers that have to play US!

Fear the Hydra baby.

Sent from my CPH1907 using JazzFanz mobile app

Reasonable takes on both sides. I prefer to stay under the radar to the media. You know the players and coaches get it and are concerned about the jazz right now. You know the Lakers are talking about delaying any kind of playoff matchup with us. In the end these are the conversations that matter. The media gonna media. The players and coaches know what's up.

FEAR THE HYDRA!!

The Jazz have thee toughest remaining schedule in the entire league. The Lakers have the ninth toughest.

The Jazz have thee toughest remaining schedule in the entire league. The Lakers have the ninth toughest.
You are aware the NBA still hasnt published the 2nd half of the schedule, right? The Jazz have the toughest remaining schedule of the already scheduled games. They will have one of the easier schedules after that.

I’m very confident about this team and it’s been a ton of fun but a lot of what they said is correct. We haven’t proven ****. The Lakers have. It’s a mega-star driven league. We don’t have a mega-star. I could totally see a game where they get all the calls. Where Gobert gets two bs calls against him. Where Lebron simply takes over. Where Davis simply takes over. And frankly, this is a better team than last year. Gasol, Harrell and Schröder were good acquisitions. And this isn’t even getting into playoff pressure which is a whole different animal and something none of our players have ever experienced beyond the second round. So it’s a helluva mountain to climb.

But I think we can win it all. I think we can. I think we can.

Really? Source? From what I've been hearing seems like we've had a harder schedule than both the Lakers / Clippers so far
You're right. The Jazz will have a very easy schedule after February. They've only scheduled the first 36 games of the season. Of those remaining games, the Jazz have a murderous schedule.

After that though it will be very easy.

You are aware the NBA still hasnt published the 2nd half of the schedule, right? The Jazz have the toughest remaining schedule of the already scheduled games. They will have one of the easier schedules after that.

I was not aware. That said, would the website I used already have factored in those games as they might already know the teams and locations, just not dates? Idk.

I was not aware. That said, would the website I used already have factored in those games as they might already know the teams and locations, just not dates? Idk.

The way BBallReference calculates strength of schedule is averages out the current SRS (Simple Rating System) of each team on your schedule thus far.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2021.html - Scroll to "Miscellaneous Stats".

I threw the teams we're playing in the 2nd half schedule. as well as those of the Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, and Suns, and average'd out their SRS's.

2nd half strength of schedule:

Jazz: -1.20 (would rank 28th hardest)
Lakers: 0.24 (would rank 12th hardest)
Clippers: 0.37 (would rank 10th hardest)
Suns: -0.02 (would rank 18th hardest)
Nuggets: -0.16 (would rank 19th hardest)

I think there's a real good chance we run away with the 1 seed. One thing I'm worried about is the Lakers dropping to 4th with AD's injury, and then having to play them at full strength in Round 2.

No. That website specifically lists the remaining (scheduled) opponents. We’ve had something like the 10th hardest SOS. Thriller has a thread. Or someone does.