Stockton, Malone and Booner Didn't Miss No Stinking Games

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by homeytennis, Jan 15, 2019.

  1. homeytennis

    homeytennis Well-Known Member

    5,341
    453
    168
    May 26, 2010
    So why the injury plague now? It seems like the GLeague players don't miss many games either. Are our current players cursed?
     
  2. LogGrad98

    LogGrad98 Well-Known Member Contributor

    21,150
    3,974
    263
    Jul 7, 2010
    Yes. Yes they are.
     
  3. Ron Mexico

    Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

    10,900
    2,982
    263
    May 26, 2010
    Stockton and Malone should have missed games. We would have won more in the playoffs if they had.

    D league players are fighting to get into the league. Way different situation from nba players. They are much more willing to play through injuries and risk worse injuries.
     
  4. Kyoto

    Kyoto Well-Known Member

    2,050
    716
    163
    May 26, 2010
    The nba has turned into "just make it to the post season, because that's where the money is", or, "just rest, we are going for ping pong balls".
     
    UB likes this.
  5. fishonjazz

    fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

    53,781
    9,677
    388
    Nov 4, 2010
    I feel like we won a lot of playoff games with stockton and malone but i feel like jordans bulls teams were quite good.

    I dont think other good teams players were missing many games either. How many regular seasons games did jordan miss during his championship runs? Im guessing not many and his teams were pretty good.
    Its just a different era and i dont think missing games due to injury is necessarily the recipe for playoff success.
     
    Douchebag K likes this.
  6. Ron Mexico

    Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

    10,900
    2,982
    263
    May 26, 2010
    If players are healthy then they don't need do sit out. It doesn't help to get hurt obviously. But playing through injuries does help teams. Resting players a little during regular season does help them in the playoffs. A fresher jazz could have won it all during that era.

    It's is a different era. Teams are smarter now. Just because teams succeeded during that era doesn't mean that's the right way to do it.
     
  7. Lakers_Slapper

    Lakers_Slapper Well-Known Member

    1,267
    229
    118
    Jul 15, 2010
    I disagree. I watched not only the Utah Jazz since the 80's, but every team I could. When Stockton and Malone played injured it was always to achieve a much needed win. They got injured at the worst times and they played through it. For one they were tough the way that men used to be raised. But second, the bench back then for a low budget team like the Utah Jazz, was completely soft and incapable of performing well. They never would've been able to replace anyone in the starting 5. Stockton and Malone were as successful as they were because they played through injury. They took a lot more risk, but we got lucky and it payed off. Back then, players wanted to play through injury because teams didn't coddle them the way they do now. Players now often can't make the decisions that they want with their body. When Michael was returning from his torn achilles tendon in 1987, the doctor told him that if he returned to action he had a 20% chance of re-injuring his achilles. He told the doctor that left an 80% chance that he wouldn't and demanded to be put back in. My point is there are a lot of games that happened, that otherwise wouldn't have been the case today given the same injuries.
     
    ghsartin likes this.
  8. Heathme

    Heathme Well-Known Member

    856
    278
    113
    May 26, 2010
     
  9. TheStormofWar

    TheStormofWar Well-Known Member

    1,750
    1,171
    233
    Jun 24, 2010
    Webber's always pretty complimentary of Stockton's toughness.

     
    colton and Heathme like this.
  10. Kyoto

    Kyoto Well-Known Member

    2,050
    716
    163
    May 26, 2010
    This is coming from Webber who was so tough that he intentionally knocked down the smallest guy on the court.

    Yeah, he shouldn't be a judge on toughness

    Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app
     
  11. infection

    infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

    11,125
    7,886
    428
    May 27, 2010
    Perhaps reframe that from “knocking down the smallest guy on the floor” to “knocking down the toughest guy on the floor.”

    Or, Weber could have developed his rational for how tough he was after his shenanigans.
     
  12. Kyoto

    Kyoto Well-Known Member

    2,050
    716
    163
    May 26, 2010
    He sure as hell didn't try to knock down Karl... Webber is a coward

    Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app
     
  13. infection

    infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

    11,125
    7,886
    428
    May 27, 2010
    He didn't think Karl was the toughest guy on the floor.
     
  14. oneye

    oneye Well-Known Member 2018 Award Winner

    1,526
    1,342
    213
    Dec 2, 2017
    The Stockton, Malone days are over. I actually expect some guys to sit out completely healthy this season on the Jazz for load management. Stockton and Malone were tough as nails for sure. I remember reading in Jody's book 100 things every Jazz fan should know before you die that Karl broke his finger on the backboard trying to block a shot during a preseason game, Sloan told him he was done, and he refused, wrapped it up, and finished that preseason game. Karl and John could handle it, it really didn't have negative impacts on their career they played until they were 40. But I completely see why both teams and players want to keep their players in the best shape as possible and are more cautious and smart about these things these days.
     
  15. Kyoto

    Kyoto Well-Known Member

    2,050
    716
    163
    May 26, 2010
    Webber didnt go after him because he knew he was tough, he went after him because he was the smallest guy there. Going after a guy that's 6" and 80 lbs smaller than you just makes you a wimp
    Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app
     
  16. oneye

    oneye Well-Known Member 2018 Award Winner

    1,526
    1,342
    213
    Dec 2, 2017
    Or because Karl would have laid him right back out. That elbow would have been a flying.
     
  17. infection

    infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

    11,125
    7,886
    428
    May 27, 2010
    Some of you guys are too literal and no fun.
     
    One Brow and Wes Mantooth like this.
  18. Kyoto

    Kyoto Well-Known Member

    2,050
    716
    163
    May 26, 2010
    Sarcasm rarely translates on the internet

    Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app
     
  19. Jack Strop

    Jack Strop Well-Known Member

    3,573
    1,556
    178
    Jun 23, 2017
    I think Donovan is old school like Karl and John. He definitely looked hurt the first couple of months last season.
     
  20. phippsj

    phippsj Well-Known Member

    483
    81
    63
    May 19, 2011
    I thought he was hurt too. Zero mention or excuses to this day.
     

Share This Page