What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

With or without a mask mandate, if you think you have COVID, thus going for a check, it'd be considerate to wear a mask when interacting with people that have to see hundreds of possible COVID patients a day.

That baby is a fender bender away from being all the way demolished and killed when the air bag goes off.

I personally wouldn't care if we were in line for hours, my kids wouldn't be climbing all over the car, standing on the center console, head out the sun roof yelling at the lady trying to help.

This should be a poster of how not to be as a parent.
**** like this happens you have 4 or more kids. The give a **** factor decreases.

**** like this happens you have 4 or more kids. The give a **** factor decreases.

Significantly. The **** I let kids 4-6 do is totally different than 1-3 at the same ages. Though to be fair, #3 has more freedom than the other two at her age. She’s just much more scared to disappoint/anger us.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I agree with what you are saying, but I'll just point out that being a parent is really hard. Being a parent of screaming children that are bored waiting in a car that isn't moving is really really hard. It could make you do some stupid stuff.
This cannot be overstated. For many kids what they need to do is scream it out, depending on the age and the situation. Trying to suppress a child when they are acting out is often detrimental to future behavior from the child. But man is it hard to let a kid scream it out. Especially in public. And people just don't understand.

I remember seeing a poor exasperated mother with 3 young children, all under maybe 5, and the middle one, must have been maybe 3 or 4, was acting out in a big way, didn't get whatever it was she wanted. Really the mother needed to just ignore the kid and show her that it would garner no attention to freak out. But it was obviously an uncomfortable situation and there is no manual on how to raise kids. So the mother finally snapped, took the girl by the shoulders, and yelled into her face "will you please calm down!" Yep, didn't calm the kid down, made it worse. Man these are difficult situations, but every parent goes through something like this.

I may have told this story here before, and now this is an inside joke in our family, and I actually told this story at my daughter's wedding, which was hilariously embarrassing for her, but she loved it. Of course I redeemed myself by singing at her wedding and she didn't know I was going to do that. She had said she wanted me to sing at her wedding since she was 12, and when I actually did, well the waterworks were going full-on.

Anyway, the story.

So I was 29 years old. I had just undergone major surgery for my cancer and survived a NDE in the summer of 1999. We had moved to Loma Linda California to go to the Loma Linda University Medical Center for proton therapy, a kind of radiation therapy, for my final treatments for my cancer. My kids were all little then. My oldest was 6 and beginning 1st grade, and he stayed home in Utah with my parents to start school, and my youngest at the time was 2. My middle one, my 4 year old daughter, was beyond precocious. She was one of these kids that developed way too fast. Crawling at just a couple months old, walking at 6 months, speaking in full sentences at a year old, that kind of thing. At 4 she was reading at a 2nd grade level and just consumed every bit of information she could. My wife bought this set of cassettes, VHS, and books called Brite Music to use as activities with the kids. They had indoor activities and outdoor activities where they could yell and get the energy out, stuff like that. It was pretty cool. Well one of the outdoor activities was what to do if a stranger approached you, and I found out soon after that my daughter learned this all too well.

On Thursday nights in Redlands CA, they had a market night in the old downtown district. In '99 this was relatively new (they actually held it every year since until the pandemic killed it for good...very sad), and we had fun those nights taking the kids there, getting kettle corn, and seeing all the booths, watching people, etc. Well one market night they had a pony ride there. My 4 year old daughter obviously wanted to go on the ponies, but it was getting late by the time we saw it, I was exhausted due to my treatments, and the guy was starting to close up. So we told her no. Predictably, she flipped out, screaming, falling on the ground, crying. So I told her, look, you can settle down and we can stay for a few more minutes and get a treat, or I can take you back to the van. She laid down and refused to move, ponies or bust apparently, so I stood her up, took her by the hand, and dragged her down the alleyway, away from the market night, toward our dark colored van parked behind one of the buildings.

Sounds kosher, right? Some big bald dude dragging a little 4 year old girl away from the crowds down a dark alley, no way this can end badly, right?

Halfway down the alley, still in full view of the people at the market night, she gets real quiet then suddenly starts frantically tugging at my hand and screaming "THIS IS NOT MY DADDY!!" over and over. I had a moment of indecision....do I let her go, basically admitting she isn't my kid to anyone looking...do I pick her up and cover her mouth and run, well that would be worse....so I just gritted my teeth, held her hand tight, and kept walking at a measured pace to the van. Finally she stopped screaming (that is the purpose for ignoring stuff like that, it shows them they won't get the response they want so they stop), and I buckled her into her child seat in the van, leaving the door open. I opened the front passenger door and sat on the passenger seat to wait for my wife, and the cops as I imagined they were probably on their way. Good thing cell phones weren't really a thing then or 200 people would have probably already called 911. By now my daughter was quiet and I was DONE, if you know what I mean.

A well-meaning group, 2 couples just leaving market night, had been at their car, heard her screaming, came over to investigate, and got to the van about when I did. The women stood behind the van, and the men approached me, asked me if everything was all right. I looked at my daughter, who now had a look of shame on her face, staring at the floor, and I said "if you want her, you can have her." I showed the men some pictures we had taken a week or so earlier and explained the situation, that her mother was coming soon with the other kids, etc. I offered to give them my keys.

The women walked up to my daughter and talked to her for a second, then got big smiles and asked her "so this is your daddy, right?" My daughter nodded slightly and whispered "uh-huh", still looking at the floor. Then the woman asked "you are in big trouble now, aren't you?" She nodded gravely and eeked out another "uh-huh". The women chuckled, the guys wished me luck with her when she was a teenager, and they left.

I will never let her forget it.

Significantly. The **** I let kids 4-6 do is totally different than 1-3 at the same ages. Though to be fair, #3 has more freedom than the other two at her age. She’s just much more scared to disappoint/anger us.

I think parenting the different kids in bigger families is always different, and changes as kids are added and as they age. Obviously dealing with the individual personalities is part of it, but it is also gaining more experience, knowing how to handle situations that were new to us with kids 1-2 or 1-3 and then applying the responses hopefully more effectively for kids 3-N. Part of it too, is becoming jaded, and frankly at some point just being done with it. My youngest ended up with a lot more freedom, partly because it was just her at home for 3 or 4 years, so it was like an only child situation, and partly because we had basically seen it all with my older kids. An arrest, an out of wedlock child, a kid go on a mission, a kid with mid- to major psychological issues. It was hard to phase us at that point, until she came out to us as bi. I guess every kid can have a surprise.

This cannot be overstated. For many kids what they need to do is scream it out, depending on the age and the situation. Trying to suppress a child when they are acting out is often detrimental to future behavior from the child. But man is it hard to let a kid scream it out. Especially in public. And people just don't understand.

I remember seeing a poor exasperated mother with 3 young children, all under maybe 5, and the middle one, must have been maybe 3 or 4, was acting out in a big way, didn't get whatever it was she wanted. Really the mother needed to just ignore the kid and show her that it would garner no attention to freak out. But it was obviously an uncomfortable situation and there is no manual on how to raise kids. So the mother finally snapped, took the girl by the shoulders, and yelled into her face "will you please calm down!" Yep, didn't calm the kid down, made it worse. Man these are difficult situations, but every parent goes through something like this.

I may have told this story here before, and now this is an inside joke in our family, and I actually told this story at my daughter's wedding, which was hilariously embarrassing for her, but she loved it. Of course I redeemed myself by singing at her wedding and she didn't know I was going to do that. She had said she wanted me to sing at her wedding since she was 12, and when I actually did, well the waterworks were going full-on.

Anyway, the story.

So I was 29 years old. I had just undergone major surgery for my cancer and survived a NDE in the summer of 1999. We had moved to Loma Linda California to go to the Loma Linda University Medical Center for proton therapy, a kind of radiation therapy, for my final treatments for my cancer. My kids were all little then. My oldest was 6 and beginning 1st grade, and he stayed home in Utah with my parents to start school, and my youngest at the time was 2. My middle one, my 4 year old daughter, was beyond precocious. She was one of these kids that developed way too fast. Crawling at just a couple months old, walking at 6 months, speaking in full sentences at a year old, that kind of thing. At 4 she was reading at a 2nd grade level and just consumed every bit of information she could. My wife bought this set of cassettes, VHS, and books called Brite Music to use as activities with the kids. They had indoor activities and outdoor activities where they could yell and get the energy out, stuff like that. It was pretty cool. Well one of the outdoor activities was what to do if a stranger approached you, and I found out soon after that my daughter learned this all too well.

On Thursday nights in Redlands CA, they had a market night in the old downtown district. In '99 this was relatively new (they actually held it every year since until the pandemic killed it for good...very sad), and we had fun those nights taking the kids there, getting kettle corn, and seeing all the booths, watching people, etc. Well one market night they had a pony ride there. My 4 year old daughter obviously wanted to go on the ponies, but it was getting late by the time we saw it, I was exhausted due to my treatments, and the guy was starting to close up. So we told her no. Predictably, she flipped out, screaming, falling on the ground, crying. So I told her, look, you can settle down and we can stay for a few more minutes and get a treat, or I can take you back to the van. She laid down and refused to move, ponies or bust apparently, so I stood her up, took her by the hand, and dragged her down the alleyway, away from the market night, toward our dark colored van parked behind one of the buildings.

Sounds kosher, right? Some big bald dude dragging a little 4 year old girl away from the crowds down a dark alley, no way this can end badly, right?

Halfway down the alley, still in full view of the people at the market night, she gets real quiet then suddenly starts frantically tugging at my hand and screaming "THIS IS NOT MY DADDY!!" over and over. I had a moment of indecision....do I let her go, basically admitting she isn't my kid to anyone looking...do I pick her up and cover her mouth and run, well that would be worse....so I just gritted my teeth, held her hand tight, and kept walking at a measured pace to the van. Finally she stopped screaming (that is the purpose for ignoring stuff like that, it shows them they won't get the response they want so they stop), and I buckled her into her child seat in the van, leaving the door open. I opened the front passenger door and sat on the passenger seat to wait for my wife, and the cops as I imagined they were probably on their way. Good thing cell phones weren't really a thing then or 200 people would have probably already called 911. By now my daughter was quiet and I was DONE, if you know what I mean.

A well-meaning group, 2 couples just leaving market night, had been at their car, heard her screaming, came over to investigate, and got to the van about when I did. The women stood behind the van, and the men approached me, asked me if everything was all right. I looked at my daughter, who now had a look of shame on her face, staring at the floor, and I said "if you want her, you can have her." I showed the men some pictures we had taken a week or so earlier and explained the situation, that her mother was coming soon with the other kids, etc. I offered to give them my keys.

The women walked up to my daughter and talked to her for a second, then got big smiles and asked her "so this is your daddy, right?" My daughter nodded slightly and whispered "uh-huh", still looking at the floor. Then the woman asked "you are in big trouble now, aren't you?" She nodded gravely and eeked out another "uh-huh". The women chuckled, the guys wished me luck with her when she was a teenager, and they left.

Thanks for the story. I'm not sure I would have handled that as well as you.

Anyway, the story.

Oh ****, my kid would have been dead. We have a running joke that we’re going to put the kid up on eBay for e-doption.

When my son, a right handed hitter, had been crushing the ball to left field all tournament long (so much so that the coach comes up to me and comments about how hard he’s hitting it) strikes out and the (same) coach tells him his bat is too big for him and he needs to swing a smaller one. Like WTF?!?!? It’s not too big for him. He’s pulling rockets to left field. He’s clearly able to get around on it.

Adventures in IBS, part 666

I may have already used 666, not sure, but it fits.

So it was a nice summery day in February recently, here in SoCal. Maybe 75 outside, sun shining, light breeze. I decided to go out to the taco truck that parks among the buildings here to bring all the warehouse workers some lunch. Someone recommended the tamales and the enchiladas. I got a combo plate with 2 tamales and an enchilada, rice, beans, etc. I asked what tamales they recommended, and they said the carnitas and the green chile tamale. Sounded good. I got to my office, and ate. It was excellent, but I am pretty sure the green chile tamale was made with something way way hotter than like an anaheim chile or something. Boy it was quite a bit beyond my threshold. However, it wasn't a huge tamale, and really really delicious, do down it went.

About 2 hours later, that tamale and all of its friends decided they needed to vacate the premises, posthaste.

So I rush to the bathroom. I am in the warehouse this time, not near my offices with my well-known toilets, and I hustle into the men's locker-room/bathroom. The handicapped stall, usually my (and everyone else's of course) go-to is occupado, so I get into the smaller second (and only remaining) stall and I proceed to rock the doors and walls with a substantial rush of air and goo (yes, goo, it was not like regular old poo, more closely akin to gorilla glue, and just as easy to clean up). It was, for me, a pretty standard experience for fatty/fried/spicy foods (some of my IBS triggers I tend to ignore because I wanna eat it anyway). I sat there, contemplating my next move as I knew the toilet bowl was covered, and I could feel it on my backside with pretty even coverage. I clean myself up, and then notice that it had completely coated the inside of the bowl, and was pretty terrifying to look at, not to mention the cloying smell that now permeated the room. It can be gag-inducing, even for me, and I was eager to be rid of it. So I pushed down on the little handle (this was one of those tankless industrial units), and...nothing. No water came out of the thing at all. I jiggled and wiggled it and pushed it every which way and around in a circle when I noticed a small piece of paper behind the toilet. It was sure as hell exactly what I was afraid of.

"OUT OF ORDER"

Had been taped to the wall above the toilet apparently, there was a faint mark from the scotch tape on the wall there. Had obviously fallen down. Yay. Luckily the other guy had left and the bathroom was empty. At least no one would know it was me.

So I cleaned up, and walked out as nonchalantly as I could. I opened the door right as a bunch of people came rushing in past me, because they were just going on break. I heard one of them say "what the **** happened in here" and another commented on the smell right as the door closed.

But they will never know it was me, right?

Right?

I hate the new trend in rear view mirror hanging decorations... I don't like **** hanging from the rear view mirror in general and at the top of that list is a ****ing dream catcher, in a car, but whatever. The new trendy thing is to hang your mask there I guess, which is just, I don't know, it looks bad and gross.

So my ex is in meltdown, called me up last week in distress so i got the train down to butt **** nowhere where she lives and had dinner and was basically just trying to help her. We've known each other since we were teenagers, im 40 in 3 months so we have significant history. She's got that biological clock thumping away and wants children, apparently i'll do, informed her that that's not as romantic a proposition as I'd hoped for. Anyway I'm pretty worried about her, she really has no one in her life that she can depend on other than me. I surprisingly have my own life, been enjoying casual sex with a woman who is alright company but its you know not like somebody you've known your whole life. Thank **** St Pats is coming and i can get completely **** eyed.

Getting an Amazon delivery pic that shows your item on a front porch that isn't yours.

I recently got one and wasn't sure who's porch it was, but as I drove away from my house I saw my package and could tell that the pic showed that porch.

Secondary pet peeve is making the decision between going and picking up my package from a neighbors porch and possibly looking like a porch pirate, or waiting to see if they bring it to my house.

Third pet peeve is when the package isn't on their porch anymore, it's been two days and they haven't brought the package to your house.

At least Amazon was pretty easy to get a refund from. They won't just resend the items in the package, they give you a gift card or refund and you can re-order.

I wish burrito joints would just be honest and say "Bean and Rice Burrito with a couple of gristly pieces of meat, might be chicken or beef, can't really tell". Hate getting a "carne asada" burrito that is 95% beans and rice and 3% cheese or maybe pico or a slice of avacado, and 2% meat.

This is what makes Rancheritos/Betos so great. Want a carne asada burrito? Here is a pound and a half of carne asada fresh off the grill with some pico and a solid glug of guac. You want rice and beans? We can add that if you want. Oh you mean INSIDE the burrito? I guess we can do that, you freak.

At least I didn't pay for this particular burrito so I won't complain too much. But still. nothing but beans and rice in a "steak" burrito. Should be illegal, that ****.

I wish burrito joints would just be honest and say "Bean and Rice Burrito with a couple of gristly pieces of meat, might be chicken or beef, can't really tell". Hate getting a "carne asada" burrito that is 95% beans and rice and 3% cheese or maybe pico or a slice of avacado, and 2% meat.

This is what makes Rancheritos/Betos so great. Want a carne asada burrito? Here is a pound and a half of carne asada fresh off the grill with some pico and a solid glug of guac. You want rice and beans? We can add that if you want. Oh you mean INSIDE the burrito? I guess we can do that, you freak.

At least I didn't pay for this particular burrito so I won't complain too much. But still. nothing but beans and rice in a "steak" burrito. Should be illegal, that ****.
Agreed.

Not the same as a rice and bean burrito with a little meat easter egg hunt side quest, but along the lines of the asada at Betos/Rancheritos, they put that **** on a flat top and get it hot and juicy before they serve it to you. I went to a *****ly Mexican place recently called Maria's Mexican Grill, the one on the east side. I waited about 2-3 minutes for someone to come over with my water and chips and salsa, which is great. When they dropped it off they took my order which was three street tacos, Chicken, Asada, Al Pastor. Seriously less than one minute after that the lady was setting my plate on the table. Instead of Chicken they gave me Carnitas. All the meet was dry and barely above room temp. The Asada and Carnitas had next to no seasoning on them at all and the Al Pastor was cut into these little dog food looking niblets and was coated in what was clearly a packet of dry seasoning. It was clear that every single thing on my plate was scooped out of little warmer bins (that were too cold) and nothing was prepared fresh. Worst Mexican food I've had in years.