What's new

Suggestions for Hawaii

We went to Oahu in 2002 and haven’t been back. Would love to return. We loved the Polynesian Culture Center. That and Pearl Harbor are definitely on my list for the return trip. I’d also like to explore different islands though.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I went to Oahu/Honolulu right out of college. Did touristy things--rented a Ferrari, took a helicopter tour, snorkled with some fish, hung around the touristy Waikiki Beach.

I have family and friends who have been to Maui. They say it's beautiful, but it can get a bit dull after a while.

Not going there is my biggest regret
I flew around it in a helicoptor. Checked into it and the resort pricing was reasonable. It is on our trip list for 2023, but we'll see. Our trips have been shuffled due to Covid.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any Hawaiian island, but Honolulu is my least favorite. I've been to Hawaii 13 times, including Honolulu, Maui, Kauai and the Big Island, and I personally prefer Maui, as I find the perfect mix of size, things to do, restaurants, etc. It is also the "condo" island, so you can easily find a nice place to stay, and with family a condo can be a lot more fun and less expensive than multiple hotel rooms. Car rentals are more expensive on Maui, at least in my experience.

I wouldn't to Kauai with someone with mobility issues. It is quiet, everything closes early, not as many food choices, etc. Not a lot of entertainment for someone not super mobile compared to the other islands. I love it for the nature and hiking, but wouldn't take my parents there (or very small kids). I did take my older parents, and my dad struggles to get around, to Honolulu and Maui, and they loved the Maui trip much, much more.

Honolulu is nice, but too many people. I used to love going to Lanikai beach, kayak to the small bird sanctuary island (a tiger shark bumped our little boat, I about crapped myself) and Wailua and just hang out there, but now (last 5 years) it has gotten overcrowded. I used to love taking friends there because it was so quiet. Now it's a damn zoo (at least pre-Covid). The Big Island is #2 on my list, but if I told my parents, their only choice would be Maui.

We went to Oahu in 2002 and haven’t been back. Would love to return. We loved the Polynesian Culture Center. That and Pearl Harbor are definitely on my list for the return trip. I’d also like to explore different islands though.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
Those are the 2 biggies for us so far. But man everything is expensive. I mean that's expected but, ugh.

So this thread got me looking again at trips and originally looked at Hawaii but decided the return flight red eyes would be killer with the 5 kids. Ended up looking at Cancun and Puerto Vallarta but had some hang ups. I hate the stress of watching ticket prices then feeling like you missed out. Ended up booking for Costa Rica in January for $250/ticket. I was pretty blown away by the cost and I think it was a fluke fare that I accidentally stumbled on.