What's new

Summer League Thread

I think midway through 23/24 season is probably the correct over/under.

We took on Collin's contract, which to me signals that we are prioritizing winning vs developing. I don't think we would agree to take on that contract if we didn't think Collins was worth it and could help our team win games.

On the other hand we have spent 0 of our accumulated assets, which to me signals that we are still in asset accumulation/development mode. If that's the case Hendricks should get some regular, even if minimal, rotation minutes so he can develop.

It does feel like something with KO has to be coming. I think it might happen at the deadline though.
I think we hold on to those assets for a very specific reason. We want the big fish and after we get it we need more assets to complete the roster.

We dont yet know who the big fish is and who we need to give up to get him.

I had Hendricks in the same spot as the Jazz did, but showing little confidence in him to play right away makes me think they saw him as a much different prospect. IDK how to feel about that. The most compelling part of his case as a prospect was that he had ready made NBA skills and could fit into a role easily. Obviously he's still young and can/will get better, but he's not exactly the type of prospect where you immediately think he will need time in the G-League. I was lukewarm on him, but one thing I had to give him was that he looked NBA ready. The Jazz FO doesn't seem to think so.

I wonder if the concern is actually about his defense. Shooting is never guarantee no matter how good the numbers are, but I think you would have to feel comfortable with him being a spot up shooter. What I saw on film with his defense was a guy who was way more athletic than everyone else, but maybe a little too reliant on his athleticism. He will probably also struggle with contract early on. If he's your 4 or 5 it likely leaves you at a rebounding deficit. If they don't see him as a perimeter defender, he likely has to bulk up before contributing and that might be what's causing their hesitation to play him early.

Hendricks college coach was Johnny Dawkins former NBA player who has been mentored by Coach K and Pop. You would think Hendricks would have learned some things from Johhny.

I had Hendricks in the same spot as the Jazz did, but showing little confidence in him to play right away makes me think they saw him as a much different prospect. IDK how to feel about that. The most compelling part of his case as a prospect was that he had ready made NBA skills and could fit into a role easily. Obviously he's still young and can/will get better, but he's not exactly the type of prospect where you immediately think he will need time in the G-League. I was lukewarm on him, but one thing I had to give him was that he looked NBA ready. The Jazz FO doesn't seem to think so.

I wonder if the concern is actually about his defense. Shooting is never guarantee no matter how good the numbers are, but I think you would have to feel comfortable with him being a spot up shooter. What I saw on film with his defense was a guy who was way more athletic than everyone else, but maybe a little too reliant on his athleticism. He will probably also struggle with contract early on. If he's your 4 or 5 it likely leaves you at a rebounding deficit. If they don't see him as a perimeter defender, he likely has to bulk up before contributing and that might be what's causing their hesitation to play him early.

Just because you have NBA skills, doesn't mean you are NBA ready. You have to know where you are expected to be on the floor, you need to be able to understand how to react and adjust to what the other team is doing. Locke made some comments about Hendricks not having a great feel for the game. I personally didn't see that, but my guess is that is what is meant when we are hearing Hendricks might not be ready right away to be in the rotation.

Just because you have NBA skills, doesn't mean you are NBA ready. You have to know where you are expected to be on the floor, you need to be able to understand how to react and adjust to what the other team is doing. Locke made some comments about Hendricks not having a great feel for the game. I personally didn't see that, but my guess is that is what is meant when we are hearing Hendricks might not be ready right away to be in the rotation.

I would have similar questions about his feel for the game....but I still thought he would be fine to get on an NBA court. He's not like Keyonte where his idea role is to assume a large part of the offense. I think if Keyonte were to play minutes this year, chances are he would be both inefficient as a scorer and also poor on defense. But that's something you work with because he has the potential to be a positive in that role. Maybe you work through that in the G-League if you don't want to lose games, but that's fine. I don't really see Hendricks in the same light. Less polish is needed for a guy who mostly will stand in the corner on offense. He's just not a guy that jumps out as someone who would need a ton of reps because his offensive role was so mall.....but I guess the other side of that is that his offensive role was so small because he wasn't ready for anything else.

Defensively, maybe he might just not be aware enough like I had mentioned and is too reliant on athleticism. It also might just be a weight thing, NBA bigs will likely push him around in the paint.

I'd comfortably wager that Hendricks will be a regular part of the rotation by midway through next season, if not sooner. There's a consolidation trade coming soon enough, IMO
If there is a consolidation trade coming then yes. If not then I dont see hardy playing hendricks over lauri, collins, ko, kessler. Maybe he or lauri gets minutes at the 3 and the jazz play large ball or something though.

Last season UCF beat Santa Clara in a low scoring game. Hendricks had 19 points and 8 boards in that game compared to Keyshawn Justice's 12 points and Podz 4 points.

If there is a consolidation trade coming then yes. If not then I dont see hardy playing hendricks over lauri, collins, ko, kessler. Maybe he or lauri gets minutes at the 3 and the jazz play large ball or something though.
I'm totally firm in my belief that Lauri and Hendricks will be playing minutes at the 3. Especially Hendricks. There are minutes for him there as soon as he is ready for them.

I'm totally firm in my belief that Lauri and Hendricks will be playing minutes at the 3. Especially Hendricks. There are minutes for him there as soon as he is ready for them.
I hope you are right. I believe in Hendricks and am chomping at the bit for him to get playing time early and somewhat often.

Hendricks is going to play. Relax. Might not play a ton right away, but it's not like Hardy is going to have him rotting. Even at Ochai's peak badness he would still get reps

I think that is where things unlock for the Jazz. If they are able to play effective minutes with Hendricks playing and Lauri dominating at the three, that is a tough matchup for the rest of the league, especially if we get a fully operational George at the 1.

The stuff with Cam seemed like teams thought he was autistic. Not that he was a difficult personality or like that, but that he didnt smile/talk enough (combined with w/e knee issues he had).

Link? Generally curious what talking heads said scouting departments had said about him.

Link? Generally curious what talking heads said scouting departments had said about him.
Don't have a specific link, but things were said like he wasn't smiling and talking enough. There was also thijgs that he couldn't finish workouts and the medical

I honestly don't believe you should take too much from summer league, but it's been a little slow on here and so here is my way too early super over reactionary 2023 lottery redraft based on the summer league:

1. Wemby
2. Scoot
3. Amen
4. Ausar
5. Miller
6. Cam
7. George
8. Black
9. Wallace
10. Jaquez
11. JHS
12. Walker