What's new

Summer Poker League 2016

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
Here's a basic outline of what we're thinking for the poker league. If there's something here that makes it so that you don't want to participate I sincerely encourage you to suggest an alternative that would make this work for you.

$50 up front buy-in to the league. This money will be used to pay the league winners.

20 players max

Season tournaments will have a $20 buy-in, all of it goes to the prize pool for that game. Nothing withheld.

6 game season, starting in May, most likely on the 21st. Thinking of doing it the third Saturday of every month

May to Oct.

Saturday evening games.

Games will alternate between my house and Gustavo's house. Gustavo lives in Daybreak (about 10 min south of my house).

That's the idea. Nothing is 100% set in stone at this point. I just want to gauge interest.

If you know someone who might want to participate please send them my way.

If this goes well the plan is to do a winter league from Nov. - Apr.

Would 5pm work better than 7pm on a Saturday?

In. 5pm is perfect, but any time on a Saturday works.

Oh!

6 games played 5 games count toward final score.

I think we'll easily hit 20 league players.

One of the biggest concerns in starting a league is keeping it alive for the duration. I don't just want to hit a magic number of $50 buy-ins. I want 6 very awesome league games. So the challenge is to keep all the players engaged for the entire season. Obviously, the $50 upfront league buy-in is a huge part of that. But I'm concerned, anyway. What we'll be doing this time will be significantly different than what I did last time, which was to run a much more open door type league. This league will allow a certain number of members (20) and then close.

I'm not yet sure how we'll handle non-league players, if they are allowed at all. Obviously league members will have preference when signing up for the games if non-league members are allowed. I'm inclined to have a pretty closed policy on non-league players and hope that we get consistent turnout from the league members and call that good.

League play is generally more serious than what we saw in my last tournament (not to say that the play in the last game wasn't serious, but league games have less of a party atmosphere and more of a competitive atmosphere). That's not to say it's not a friendly game, but certain rules will be enforced more strictly and the interests of the people who payed $50 upfront and expect a tightly run game will be taken into utmost consideration.

My issue is that right now my daughter plays soccer, usually starting at 230, as far away as Logan. Her games usually last about about an hour and a half.

But go with what works for the majority. A summer league may not work for me anyway. My baby will come on August, so I'd miss that one. We no idea what our kids schedules will be like starting late August/first of September.

My issue is that right now my daughter plays soccer, usually starting at 230, as far away as Logan. Her games usually last about about an hour and a half.

But go with what works for the majority. A summer league may not work for me anyway. My baby will come on August, so I'd miss that one. We no idea what our kids schedules will be like starting late August/first of September.

Told ya 6 kids were too menny.

But now that I think about it, her games are done by mid May. She'll do a couple local tournaments over the summer, and then her season will start again mid August.
But I'd still prefer the later the better.

So here's where it stands as far as interest.

Strong interest
Gustavo
Me
Adam
Austin
Flegal (guy from dannon)
Siro
Sue
Dave
BabyPeterzz
Bronco70

Considering it
BigB
Dylan

People who seemed interested at the game but haven't indicated if they are now
devgchr
Fish

I know I'm missing a few people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet!

A couple more people from work indicated they'd be interested. I'll try to start nailing down some details in the next few days. Need to have a conversation with Gustavo to make sure we're on the same page.

Once there is a pretty solid schedule and some details worked out we'll start collecting the league buy-ins. I imagine that will be the gauge to determine if people are 100% in.

[MENTION=840]fishonjazz[/MENTION] [MENTION=1355]devgchr[/MENTION]

you want in?

you guys should go easy on [MENTION=840]fishonjazz[/MENTION]. The dude is probably desperate to make up for his huge jazz-related gambling losses, and could be easy prey. And he has a baby on the way.

I just want to throw out there that this is not really an exclusive thing. You don't have to be on Jazzfanz or work at Dannon to be in this league. If any of you know anyone who might be interested or someone who's been a +1 before might be interested, send them my way.

Can you please explain this joke? I laughed, but then I had doubts that I understood the joke in a normal way.
It's not a joke. About half the players will be Dannon employees.