What's new

Teacher suspended for not giving easier test...

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner

So a teacher was requested to grade black students more leniently than everyone else after the George Floyd murder. He replied pretty snarkily and refused to change his grading. Was subsequently suspended, lost personal business arrangements as a result, was fairly substantially impacted probably due to the backlash. Afterward he was reinstated and is now suing because America. But he might have a legitimate beef.

I think he was suspended due to the nature of the email exchange, not because he wouldn't make the test easier.

But what are your thoughts? If a black person is affected by something like the George Floyd murder, even if just getting upset about, should there be concessions for things like grading on tests in college?

This feels like an extension of the grief counselors and designated "safe spaces" for students distraught that Hilary didn't win the election.

I feel like it University system, well school system in general, already doesn't do enough to prepare kids to be real adults. Too much coddling, not enough challenging of ideas and engaging critical thinking and discussion skills. I've seen it in new hires directly from college and in anecdotes from my kids who are in college now. Even my daughter who is extremely liberal, came out as bi in high school, feels that there is too much focus on assuaging every tiny perceived slight and not enough on challenging ideas and getting people to work through things as they come. Then again, she's white and generally pretty privileged. Maybe she doesn't have a true perspective on a lot of this. Of course this is beyond the racial aspects and I'm really talking more generally.

My daughter has a friend who breaks down whenever she comes across anything remotely negative. Her parents are very well-off financially and she's never experienced what anyone would call a hardship. But she petitioned the school to allow her and anyone offended by whatever the newest thing was to be allowed to change any class to a pass/fail and to be excused for as many days as the student deems necessary to recover from any and all micro-aggressions they might encounter. The scary thing is there were a lot of kids supporting this.

Where are we headed here? I think we are making progress in some ways, but I'm really afraid for what our future leaders will do when confronted with things of real magnitude when they are fully emotionally crippled by an event that has nothing to do with them to the extent where they feel any and all responsibilities they have should be rendered null and void until they have sufficient time to recover.

Thoughts?

So a teacher was requested to grade black students more leniently than everyone else after the George Floyd murder. He replied pretty snarkily and refused to change his grading. Was subsequently suspended, lost personal business arrangements as a result, was fairly substantially impacted probably due to the backlash. Afterward he was reinstated and is now suing because America. But he might have a legitimate beef.

I think he was suspended due to the nature of the email exchange, not because he wouldn't make the test easier.

But what are your thoughts? If a black person is affected by something like the George Floyd murder, even if just getting upset about, should there be concessions for things like grading on tests in college?

This feels like an extension of the grief counselors and designated "safe spaces" for students distraught that Hilary didn't win the election.

I feel like it University system, well school system in general, already doesn't do enough to prepare kids to be real adults. Too much coddling, not enough challenging of ideas and engaging critical thinking and discussion skills. I've seen it in new hires directly from college and in anecdotes from my kids who are in college now. Even my daughter who is extremely liberal, came out as bi in high school, feels that there is too much focus on assuaging every tiny perceived slight and not enough on challenging ideas and getting people to work through things as they come. Then again, she's white and generally pretty privileged. Maybe she doesn't have a true perspective on a lot of this. Of course this is beyond the racial aspects and I'm really talking more generally.

My daughter has a friend who breaks down whenever she comes across anything remotely negative. Her parents are very well-off financially and she's never experienced what anyone would call a hardship. But she petitioned the school to allow her and anyone offended by whatever the newest thing was to be allowed to change any class to a pass/fail and to be excused for as many days as the student deems necessary to recover from any and all micro-aggressions they might encounter. The scary thing is there were a lot of kids supporting this.

Where are we headed here? I think we are making progress in some ways, but I'm really afraid for what our future leaders will do when confronted with things of real magnitude when they are fully emotionally crippled by an event that has nothing to do with them to the extent where they feel any and all responsibilities they have should be rendered null and void until they have sufficient time to recover.

Thoughts?

Oh my God you're triggering my trauma!

Every ****ing week i hear that from some kid under 25 like it means something. BS spoon fed to them by social workers, shrinks, paedophiles and other do gooders.

Most of the time they're just entitled ***** who blame everybody around them for their problems but never work out its the drug use and fact that you do nothing to improve your life. Eh I could go on...

On a near daily basis I see the people threaten to bash, rape and kill people. Attack people and yet say something to them like call the a **** or dare I even say it, prevent them from continuing to assault people and they'll demand a ****ing royal commission into the violation of their human rights. Worst bit is, supposedly sensible adults indulge it and don't tell them to get ****ed. They're all scared of litigation so they indulge these useless parasites.

No, they shouldn't be coddled. Stop making excuses and take responsibility for your own actions. Regardless of race, everyone should have this mindset.

I was a student at Harvard Kennedy School of Government at the time. Usually that night there is a watching party at the main hall. They release release hundrends of ballons from the ceiling when the outcome is kind of known (either R or D). That day no ballon was released, they kept them there for days, slowing and depressingly losing air. Most proffesors took it easy for a few days but things got back to normal afterwards. Two things:
i) I was kind dissapointed by Harvard. It's a place where you expect open ideas to flow, being openly discussed. Instead, it created a bubble.
ii) Some students did really struggle with the elections (maybe as a result of point "i"). Wasn't as much about "Hillary lost" but more about "What country are we living in", a sense of not belonging or understanding what was going on. Having said that, I can imagine black students being emotially distraught by the George Floyd's video and ensuing protests in a more severe way. It always hard to speak from a position of privilege, trying to understand how others feel.

So I guess schools and proffesors shold be understanding of tramutic events and how they can impact specific groups, but also create an enviroment where we encourange strong minded citizens being able to cope with difficult circumstances. Thin line.

Last edited: