What's new

Temperature Check: Christian Wood

So what contract price/length do you start considering him? Because his "upside" is still a good fit with the new roster.
I just wouldn’t probably. I don’t think he wants that third big and I’d worry the immaturity hurts the vibes. I suppose if I’m playing along 5-10M and 2-3 years with team options in there somewhere. I think he should do better than that. I just don’t see it with the current roster.

Kidd hasn't played Wood much because he plays horrible defense, particular helpside/team.

He got more minutes when Maxi was out for a while but hurt his hand or thumb I think.

This team needs better defensive players. I'd say hard pass.
His defensive metrics aren't awful tho. -1.1 defensive raptor. -0.2 DBPM.

I don't watch enough Mavericks to say to the degree that his D is bad.

It’s something I’d consider. The roster in Dallas is ***, and as has been stated many times here Luka doesn’t elevate his team. Then there’s the question of how was his attitude in Dallas playing on a bad roster with Luka and he isn’t a starter after being a starter the last three years. Him playing next to Markkanen and Kessler at PF and getting some backup mins at C, and getting with Hardy… it could end up a big coup for us.

I’d consider it for all those reasons.

I mean he rebounds well and isn’t a slouch as a rim protector. As I said before I think he was in a bad situation in Dallas and you have to be in a certain mindframe to play good defense. He’d have a whole new outlook in utah.

I mean he rebounds well and isn’t a slouch as a rim protector. As I said before I think he was in a bad situation in Dallas and you have to be in a certain mindframe to play good defense. He’d have a whole new outlook in utah.
Yeah, I'm not a Wood guy, but I agree with this. I'm surprised to see the people who were super vocal about getting Wood have soured that much on him from his season in Dallas

Defensive RAPTOR is a weird stat. Wood is passable on D in one on one situations, but should be better, he has the physical tools. He also gets a lot of blocks, but kind of reminds me of Whiteside in that regard, that he chases the stat over making the right play, and his effort waxes and wanes like Whiteside. Clearly different players, but both with similar deficiencies. Players that don't put in the effort are players I don't want playing for the Jazz. Is there a chance that the Jazz could recenter his attitude and get him to play to his potential? Possibly, but that is a big risk depending on the contract. Some team will overpay for him.

Slightly OT-I usually have four games on at once, and don't often have the Dallas audio on, but when I do, I've noticed their announcers will call players out a bit for mistakes, which Boler and Thurl don't do. I noticed they have called Wood out a bit. I wish Thurl would start doing that a bit. How many bonehead plays did KO have yesterday, but Thurl just won't stop talking about how brilliant he is on the court.

Yeah, I'm not a Wood guy, but I agree with this. I'm surprised to see the people who were super vocal about getting Wood have soured that much on him from his season in Dallas
Right now is honestly the first time I’ve even given this consideration since I’ve been entirely focused on a from-the-ground rebuild through drafting. Because of that, any serious consideration of signing Wood would wait until after the draft and it would still need to be an obvious buy-low contract.
Not an upgrade over KO.
I agree, but he’s also 4.5 years younger and that matters a lot at their respective ages (basically 32 and 27.5). Certainly, there is no role for Wood with KO here.

At similar contracts, I think I prefer Naz Reid to either moving forward.

I just don't think I'd be spending a bunch of money on the third big to Kessler-Lauri. Having a third big who could theoretically play with either is nice, but it is a luxury and I'm find with KO or someone like Kevin Love at a lower price point until he's totally washed. If I'm spending ~$20M a year on a bench guy it's gotta be a wing or 6th man pseudo star type.

I just don't think I'd be spending a bunch of money on the third big to Kessler-Lauri. Having a third big who could theoretically play with either is nice, but it is a luxury and I'm find with KO or someone like Kevin Love at a lower price point until he's totally washed. If I'm spending ~$20M a year on a bench guy it's gotta be a wing or 6th man pseudo star type.
Oh I don’t think anyone is in the ballpark for Wood or Naz. I think Woods market will be around 10M and Naz like 12ish. Not sure if that sways the math for you.

Not sure where you’re pulling $20m from but I’m pretty sure everyone here agrees that spending that kind of money on a third big (especially with having a million picks) would be a bad idea.

Oh I don’t think anyone is in the ballpark for Wood or Naz. I think Woods market will be around 10M and Naz like 12ish. Not sure if that sways the math for you.

That's about the MLE, and I think they would cost more than the MLE. Maybe the get squeezed by the market and all they can get. FA is kind of a crapshoot sometimes and I haven't done a serious analysis on the teams with space....but my first instinct is that both guys are above MLE guys in FA. $20 was probably too high of an estimate though.

I would probably sign Naz at that kind of money...but Wood is approaching that territory where he just seems like he has a toxic attitude that is not worth it whatever the amount is.

I still would like to get wood on the jazz.
Would rather have Naz though