What's new

Texas school shooting

MVP

10 dead, 10 injured in Texas school shooting. Somebody here said that massive shootings in Texas are unlikely due to high amount of gun ownership. Well, I will repeat again, mass shooting are not only highly unlikely but pretty much never happen in countries with strict gun laws. How such an advanced nation keeps protecting outdated 300 year old 2d amendment instead of innocent people is beyond my understanding.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/us/school-shooting-santa-fe-texas.html

another shooting. another debate. another doing nothing. cycle over and over. so sad that I m so used to this now :(

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Nothing will ever change as long as we believe that gun ownership is a right and not an earned privilege. Since that change is unlikely, all I can do is hope that this doesn't happen to anyone I love. It is the choice that this country has made. We will have to live (or die) with it.

It is still much more likely my loved ones will die in a myriad of other ways than by gun violence. Not that this makes me feel better, mind you.

Nothing will ever change as long as we believe that gun ownership is a right and not an earned privilege. Since that change is unlikely, all I can do is hope that this doesn't happen to anyone I love. It is the choice that this country has made. We will have to live (or die) with it.

It is still much more likely my loved ones will die in a myriad of other ways than by gun violence. Not that this makes me feel better, mind you.

I do think the tide is shifting and shifting quickly on gun control. It wasn’t long ago that politicians suggesting gun control were essentially asking for a political bullet in the head. It was toxic and the Russian banked NRA fueled your demise. Today? The tide has shifted, in large part due to the Parkland kids. REFUSING to advocate for increased Gun control is becoming toxic and politicians refusing NRA money are seeing increased donations.

I liken this to the gay marriage debate we saw in the early 2000s. At that point, it was toxic to even suggest the LGBT community be given marriage rights. But the tide shifted and shifted quickly. Today, it would be political suicide to suggest taking away their rights.

Likewise, if there’s any good to come out of these NRA sponsored killings, it’s that we as a society are seeing how archaic our laws are compared to the rest of the industrialized world. Each school shooting is a reminder of how NRA money has corrupted our system. I know that each shooting is largely working to our advantage (sadly). Young people especially don’t buy into the mantra of liberalizing gun laws makes for safer communities. Politically, I hope democrats make this a huge wedge issue in the midterms and blow up the GOP. I for one am done trying to reason with NRA and gun nut animals. They see compromise as a huge loss for them.

“Do you support safe communities and sane gun laws or the same asinine laws that continue to allow innocent people to be murdered at the altar of the NRA (yewge Russian money laundromat)?” As usual, republicans will find themselves on the wrong side of history on gun control. The only question will be how many innocent people could we have saved had we only acted sooner?

Last edited:
Right on que MVP and Thriller.

”It’s too early to talk about gun control.

Guns are tools. Just like hammers and screwdrivers.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun

Thoughts and prayers!”

We keep having this same discussion because nationally we haven’t significantly changed gun laws to reflect the needs of a 21st century industrialized nation. So while you quickly dismiss gun control talk, just know that the rest of the industrialized world looks at us in The same way we look at Afghanistan, Neanderthals.

But it’s definitely turning. We’ll see significant gun control legislation in the next 3-6 years. Just like gay marriage, hearts and minds are changing and changing quickly.

Would you be cool with parent volunteers who pay for and pass a background check, take security training and have several neighbors vouch for their integrity acting as armed patrol? That patrol would have no police authority over anything other than safety, so no external issues should impact the kids.

I have 2 children in grade school. I want them and all others safe. I would willingly donate my time and money to campus my children's school 1 day a week. I bet plenty other parents would do so as well.

I prefer raising taxes and putting at least 1 cop in each school but we all know how that would happen. UTA needs $50 million for a stupid name change, how are we going to afford to keep the children safe?

I'm sending this idea off to my area senator and representative (state, not DC) but want a sounding board first.

Thriller just called Afghanis Neanderthals... Good one.

Would you be cool with parent volunteers who pay for and pass a background check, take security training and have several neighbors vouch for their integrity acting as armed patrol? That patrol would have no police authority over anything other than safety, so no external issues should impact the kids.

I have 2 children in grade school. I want them and all others safe. I would willingly donate my time and money to campus my children's school 1 day a week. I bet plenty other parents would do so as well.

I prefer raising taxes and putting at least 1 cop in each school but we all know how that would happen. UTA needs $50 million for a stupid name change, how are we going to afford to keep the children safe?

I'm sending this idea off to my area senator and representative (state, not DC) but want a sounding board first.
Armed police aren’t a deterrent for these shooters. I don’t know why this keeps being brought up as a solution. While this kid was taken alive, mass shooters go on their rampages knowing there’s a high possibility they aren’t going to survive it. In fact many intend not to. It’s incredibly frustrating that the solution (or the closest thing to one) is staring us in the face, as evidenced by us being the only nation where this kind of thing occurs on a regular basis, and we as a society are paralyzed from even taking steps in that direction.

I wonder why nobody made a thread about the school shooting in Chicago a couple of days ago.
I’m sure you’re trying to make a really clever point of some kind here, but it’s worth considering that school shootings are so commonplace in this country that it’s gotten to the point where only the ones with a high body count break through into public consciousness.

Armed police aren’t a deterrent for these shooters. I don’t know why this keeps being brought up as a solution. While this kid was taken alive, mass shooters go on their rampages knowing there’s a high possibility they aren’t going to survive it. In fact many intend not to. It’s incredibly frustrating that the solution (or the closest thing to one) is staring us in the face, as evidenced by us being the only nation where this kind of thing occurs on a regular basis, and we as a society are paralyzed from even taking steps in that direction.

Do you believe all unproven myths you read in newspaper columns? Around my area, 3 armed guards would deter almost any type of mass shooting outside of death by cop idiots (the majority as you said). Those idiots would displace their mode of killing if that or more gun control were enacted. And we can have both more gun control and more security in schools. So please stop trying to pigeonhole the discussion with ungrounded claims and acting like every pro-gun ownership person is a plague. Most of us want more gun control measures. The NRA was one of the first to call for more measures after a major shooting a while back. I believe AR-15's will be banned, and I couldn't care less, but the reasoning will likely only make school shootings more accurate and deadly so careful where you tread.

We all understand that Santa Fe had two armed School guards and Parkland had one, right?

Plus, this isn’t just about schools. It about churches, theaters, malls, urban communities, and how Americans end their own lives.

We have a gun violence problem that the rest of the industrialized world has learned to resolve.

Attempting to narrow the scope of gun safety to focus just on schools is another diversionary tactic of the NRA and gun nuts. Their refusal to actually promote sane gun safety laws supported by the majority in our democracy is going to be their undoing. And the gop really wants to hitch its wagon to that group of losers?

The longer the gop waits to tackle this problem the more momentum democrats are going to gain over the next few years. Do republicans really want to be on the wrong side of history... again??? Gun violence is becoming a major political issue and one party is quickly losing its fear of the NRA. I expect it to be one of the deciding issues when we retake the House this fall.

Last edited:
10 dead, 10 injured in Texas school shooting. Somebody here said that massive shootings in Texas are unlikely due to high amount of gun ownership. Well, I will repeat again, mass shooting are not only highly unlikely but pretty much never happen in countries with strict gun laws. How such an advanced nation keeps protecting outdated 300 year old 2d amendment instead of innocent people is beyond my understanding.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/us/school-shooting-santa-fe-texas.html
Don't get me going on this. The utter stupidity, no insanity of this is mind-boggling. The gun lobby (NRA) is so powerful. I don't understand the political motivation behind this. The gun industry can't be that big, can it, or is it somehow tied into the defense industry? The utter glorification and almost deification of the military is just as insane. Yet people accept it; people accept the nonsense that the cultures in the Middle East are a threat to our nation, when the only the threat they pose is caused by our intrusion into their culture and our attempt to subjugate them.

Fair warning: I’m going to make this post and then probably never open this thread again. If I do, the likelihood of me responding is slim to none. It’s a pointless exercise in futility based on who I’ve seen in here.
For those arguing the 2nd Amendment is outdated and to be revoked/drastically changed: it was made the same time as the 1st Amendment. Is it also outdated? Should it be revoked/drastically changed?
Can we not recognize that a 17 year old in possession of a firearm is illegal?Specifically, how do YOU propose we “keep guns out of the hands of criminals”?
Do you honestly believe “strict gun laws” are the answer? Please cite statistics to back up your claim. From here in America, since that’s where we are talking about.

For the record, I do favor gun reform. It is too easy to obtain a firearm in this country. IMO, no private sales should be allowed. Everything should have to go through a licensed dealer. I would be in favor of waiting periods, stronger and universal background checks. It probably wouldn’t be hard to convince me that a magazine size limit is a good idea. There is no reason an ordinary citizen needs a fully automatic weapon. Bump stocks should have been outlawed from the start.

Good. My point proved. That's kinda a half decent roll job from a pathetic person looking for attention.

Why don't you go watch some fireworks and go
Smoke another.
Actually that was advice. If you want to have a dialogue with people, beginning posts with obvious nonsense like that is a great way to undermine that.

Anyway I went back to read what you wrote and realized my instincts were right. You completely mischaracterized what I wrote, and addressed points I didn't bring up. I didn't say a damn thing about people who are pro gun, and didn't insinuate anything about them being a plague.

You don't seem like someone who is acting in good faith so I will refrain from replying to you in the future, and would ask the same of you in return.