What's new

Thanks David.

Regardless of how you felt, there were a lot of people who thought he had legit shot of being a rotation player before he stepped foot on the court. The guy had legit size and was a proven player overseas.

Everyone knew Stockton would never make the team this upcoming year.
Perhaps, but we’re talking about a level of subjectivity regarding being “exciting.” That applies to the individual as much as the collective, and I found Pleiss less exciting than Stockton (not to say I was excited about Stockton, per se, but I enjoyed the bridge to the past).

Perhaps, but we’re talking about a level of subjectivity regarding being “exciting.” That applies to the individual as much as the collective, and I found Pleiss less exciting than Stockton (not to say I was excited about Stockton, per se, but I enjoyed the bridge to the past).
There's also a level of objectivity of realizing the collective conscience of the fan-base. Everyone knew what the Stockton signing was destined for. Pleiss and others where brought in to actually compete for minutes and win a job, Stockton wasnt.

There's also a level of objectivity of realizing the collective conscience of the fan-base. Everyone knew what the Stockton signing was destined for. Pleiss and others where brought in to actually compete for minutes and win a job, Stockton wasnt.
Sure, but Pleiss sucked and so did a lot of those guys. Anyone else being hyped about him doesn’t change that I wasn’t excited about him and the idea that, despite him being more or less a body on the bench, Stockton’s sentimentality had more excitement than a Kyle Weaver or Malcolm Thomas.

[I get that people on the forum showed more excitement for Tibor in having potential, but that’s not my argument.]

This a curious move. I thought the Jazz had signed him to a contract for last season only, so why the need to waive him?

This a curious move. I thought the Jazz had signed him to a contract for last season only, so why the need to waive him?
No, they signed him to a rest of season guarantee w/ non-guaranteed for 2nd and 3rd years. It's like every minimum non-vet contract they ever sign.

I have a hard time believing the Jazz signed Stockton on name alone, considering how valuable a NBA roster spot is.

That's not to say I thought he would succeed, but I do think the Jazz thought there was some intangible value there, or else he wouldn't have been on the team.

David Stockton was "the best human victory cigar in the history of the NBA." He will be missed as such, but he was never a part of the core of the team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app
This times 1000. Who was it who wrote this? I think I first saw it on a Jazz Avenues post. Even if I hadn't liked the Stockton signing, it became legendary after that observation.

Or you are someone who doesnt enjoy nepotism. Just cuz he was half made out of John Stockton's semen doesnt make me care about him playing basketball.
Not only was he half made of John Stockton, but he grew up wearing a Jazz jersey, shooting baskets after games in the Delta Center. John showed up to playoff games because of David. John was around the team because of David. You're nothing but a curmudgeon if you can't figure out why any of that matters.

People were hyped on Pleiss, so that's a lot of revisionist history.

Jeffers and Jerrett had some NBA potential with their size.

Even Ahearn, while white/balding/goofy looking, had shooting ability and actual NBA PG size.

Stockton was comically small with no standout skill.

Dont remember Marcus Cousin in the slightest, so I have to concede that one.
He can be exciting despite not being an NBA-level talent. Those other guys may have been better but they sure as hell weren't exciting

He can be exciting despite not being an NBA-level talent. Those other guys may have been better but they sure as hell weren't exciting
I see what you are saying, but for me the excitement of the end of the bench guys is the possibility for them to become something more. If I know they can't then I can't have any interest in them.

This times 1000. Who was it who wrote this? I think I first saw it on a Jazz Avenues post. Even if I hadn't liked the Stockton signing, it became legendary after that observation.
Right?! Just one of the things that made last season one of the best ever.

I don't know where I first heard/ read it and I'm too lazy to look it up. Lol Whoever said it was spot on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

Thought it was great to have Stock on the team and especially to go to the playoffs with him on the roster. Must. have been very cool for him and his parents and it was more than cool to have John in the arena for playoff games. Time to move on but glad it happened.

I see what you are saying, but for me the excitement of the end of the bench guys is the possibility for them to become something more. If I know they can't then I can't have any interest in them.

I can't imagine how fun your life must be with predetermined parameters for getting excited.

I can't imagine how fun your life must be with predetermined parameters for getting excited.
star_trek_tv_spock_3_copy_-_h_2018.jpg