What's new

The 0.500 division

eacioban

The jazz are last in the northwest division, tenth in the conference and sixteenth in the league, while being 1.5 games away from 3rd seed. All the teams in the division are above the 0.500 mark.
When was the last time that happened?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using JazzFanz mobile app

The jazz are last in the northwest division, tenth in the conference and sixteenth in the league, while being 1.5 games away from 3rd seed. All the teams in the division are above the 0.500 mark.
When was the last time that happened?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using JazzFanz mobile app

From Kevin Pelton:

"The Northwest Division has a better chance to be the deepest, but there have previously been two times when all five teams in a division have finished .500 or better, both times the Southwest Division:

• 2010-11 (every team with more than 43 wins, two teams with at least 57 wins)

• 2014-15 (every team at least 45 wins, all five made playoffs)
Now as far as most competitive, this Northwest Division might win the prize. As far as I can tell, the closest separation between first and last in a division since realignment to six divisions in 2004-05 was the aforementioned 2014-15 Southwest Division, in which 11 games separated the first-place Houston Rockets from the last-place New Orleans Pelicans. Currently, there are just four games between first and last in this year's Northwest Division, and that gap doesn't figure to get a ton wider before the end of the season."

Actually, has there ever been a time when all five teams made the playoffs in a single division? We might be in the toughest division in NBA history.

Actually, has there ever been a time when all five teams made the playoffs in a single division? We might be in the toughest division in NBA history.

Hard to believe but when l first starting following basketball during the crappy "Showtime" era the Western Conference was a joke. It was usually The Lakers and Rockets and the rest of conference used to hover around .500 or below all year.

Anyway, when the Midwest Division was 6 team's, every team made the playoffs one year.