What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

No paywall copy..

Oh noes. Reporters found 3 teachers in all of Florida who say they don't like they way some things should be taught, and the reporters despite having the entire training pretension sent directly to them by the Florida Dept of Education couldn't find a single excerpt to corroborate the story?

Democrats have control the House, the Senate, and the Presidency, AND 88% OF AMERICA THINKS AMERICA IS ON THE WRONG TRACK.

Oh noes. Reporters found 3 teachers in all of Florida who say they don't like they way some things should be taught, and the reporters despite having the entire training pretension sent directly to them by the Florida Dept of Education couldn't find a single excerpt to corroborate the story?
If only the article had clarified that the teachers objected to the verbal antics of the trainers, and not to the written materials. For example, if the article contained a paragraph like, "Teachers who spoke to the Times/Herald said they don’t object to the state’s new standards for civics, but they do take issue with how the state wants them to be taught.", then your entire point about the presentation would be rendered moot and deceptive.

Still you have to be amazed at the logistics of gathering the teachers from "all of Florida" together for a single meeting. I mean, if the article referred specifically to, for example, a session with just Broward County (an excellent name for a county, BTW), then you'd look pretty stupid right now.

I loved Herschel as a player, but he’s no politician. He has zero idea of what he’s even talking about and regardless of party ID, he should be nowhere near making decisions for others.

I loved Herschel as a player, but he’s no politician. He has zero idea of what he’s even talking about and regardless of party ID, he should be nowhere near making decisions for others.
I feel the same way about all the celebrities I've heard suggested as political candidates. I don't think celebrity translates to effective office holder of any sort in any specific way at all.

I feel the same way about all the celebrities I've heard suggested as political candidates. I don't think celebrity translates to effective office holder of any sort in any specific way at all.

Same with Mehmet Oz. Did you see the ad with him wearing flannel and shooting a gun? Michael Dukakis in a tank levels of WTF.

Something wicked this way comes…Down the line a bit, but it’s coming, another blow to the body politic.

View: https://twitter.com/ZachPraiss/status/1545032774440157189

Inflation up 9.1% YoY. Don't know about you guys, but I've definitely noticed our spend going up despite nothing out of the ordinary. The pump as well as grocery store pain is real.

Inflation up 9.1% YoY. Don't know about you guys, but I've definitely noticed our spend going up despite nothing out of the ordinary. The pump as well as grocery store pain is real.
Yeah it's not great.

At least down where I live, the variation in gas prices is huge. Before this all started, one gas station might be a few cents higher or the crazy expensive ones might be .20 cents per gallon higher. Now it is common for me to see some gas stations that are a full .40 cents per gallon cheaper than others. I've started making a mental note of all the gas stations where I can get gas at under $6 per gallon, and that is often hard to find where I live. Most are in the $6.25 to $6.45 range.

Other than that people listen to them, so since they are followed they obviously have better opinions than anyone else. And since they have better opinions, and one of their opinions is they would be the best president, then they got SO many upvotes on the post, well it must be true! Large mobs of fanatical Americans can't be wrong, can they??

:rolleyes:

At least down where I live, the variation in gas prices is huge. Before this all started, one gas station might be a few cents higher or the crazy expensive ones might be .20 cents per gallon higher. Now it is common for me to see some gas stations that are a full .40 cents per gallon cheaper than others. I've started making a mental note of all the gas stations where I can get gas at under $6 per gallon, and that is often hard to find where I live. Most are in the $6.25 to $6.45 range.
So far google has been pretty spot on when looking at gas prices, at least in the inland empire. Every time I need gas I check google maps then decide where to go. Of course, here at home it is almost always Sam's Club with the lowest, prices, if you have 3 days to wait in line.

Kid you not, there is a Jimmy John's near the Sam's Club here so when my wife needs gas in the van, we stop at Jimmy Johns and get sandwiches, then we eat them while waiting in line at the pump, just chatting about the week or whatever. We are almost always done long before we actually get to the pump. I have paid bills, and balanced the checkbook and scheduled flights doing the same thing, waiting to get gas. lol

Gasbuddy is super helpful when it comes to cheap gas. Here in SLC, Costco gas is a ghost town on Sundays with no wait. Currently, it's about $0.30 less than gas stations per gallon.

Last time I drove to Cali, I noticed the prices in Barstow vs. the Costco in Victorville was only about $0.08 - $0.10 - and that Costco always has lines that are 30 mins and a complete zoo. I'd assume pay an extra $1.50 than deal with that madhouse.

It's not sustainable and assuming we get a split Legislature/Executive branch at the midterms, the next two years are going to be a continual blame game in the chambers (or business as usual).

As a P.S., with Covid essentially in the rearview, my employer has continued to push work at home because of the energy prices. I'm still of the opinion that they'd love to sell the building for commercial real estate opportunities but not a good market for that.

Last edited:
As a P.S., with Covid essentially in the rearview, my employer has continued to push work at home because of the energy prices. I'm still of the opinion that they'd love to sell the building for commercial real estate opportunities but not a good market for that.
My department went from full remote, to full in-office, and now back to nearly all remote. Although it is now largely due to office space cost cutting, the event that spurred going back to mostly remote was a training class where nearly the entire department was in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID and we were required by still existing organizational guidelines to isolate for 10 days.

My department went from full remote, to full in-office, and now back to nearly all remote. Although it is now largely due to office space cost cutting, the event that spurred going back to mostly remote was a training class where nearly the entire department was in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID and we were required by still existing organizational guidelines to isolate for 10 days.
How do you like it? After 2.5 years of remote, I basically have just accepted it. I do like the perks of less travel time and being able to not feel as micromanaged, but my engagement is also really low and my overall motivation is a bit lacking.

I'm still a top performer, but I sometimes feel like I'm just putting on a show these days vs. really enjoying what I do.

How do you like it? After 2.5 years of remote, I basically have just accepted it. I do like the perks of less travel time and being able to not feel as micromanaged, but my engagement is also really low and my overall motivation is a bit lacking.

I'm still a top performer, but I sometimes feel like I'm just putting on a show these days vs. really enjoying what I do.
All things considered, I prefer to be in the office. I really like being in the office, but during the summer months it is nice to be working remote because it gives me the flexibility to drop my kid off and pick my kid up from various summer camps that have hours shorter than my workday. Today I have a very important meeting starting at 3:30 where I will be doing important business things while running my kid to a team scrimmage in preparation for Junior Olympics. When summer is over, I will likely push hard to claim one of the few desks allotted to my department in the office.

All things considered, I prefer to be in the office. I really like being in the office, but during the summer months it is nice to be working remote because it gives me the flexibility to drop my kid off and pick my kid up from various summer camps that have hours shorter than my workday. Today I have a very important meeting starting at 3:30 where I will be doing important business things while running my kid to a team scrimmage in preparation for Junior Olympics. When summer is over, I will likely push hard to claim one of the few desks allotted to my department in the office.
I'm a bit of the opposite - I'd prefer to actually be in the office as the family is home right now and they drive me nuts during the summer when I'm trying to get things done. I'm looking forward to school getting back in session so I'm not micromanaged by them instead.

I like working from home during the winter especially on the rare event that we actually get a snowstorm anymore.

I would love the option to work from home, and frankly maybe 40-50% of my job I could do from home, but to be really effective I need to be able to be present in the facilities under my purview.

I would love the option to work from home, and frankly maybe 40-50% of my job I could do from home, but to be really effective I need to be able to be present in the facilities under my purview.
I'm lucky in that regard. I'm a data engineer and a big part of my job is robotic process automation. My job is to make machines do my job.