What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

It is also quite instructed that all of the links you provided have a utah.gov address. County government have their own domains. Here is the one for Iron County: https://www.ironcounty.net/
Most local boards of education also have their own websites, separate from the school sites, and usually not .gov (more likely .org, .com, or .edu).

It is quite instructive that you did not visit a single local school board site before posting.

Like it or not, local schools boards almost always are separate entities.

@Al-O-Meter

I have nothing further to add that I haven't said already or that @One Brow hasn't already explained.

I know you really desire argument but I really don't desire it. Have patience with educators. They're human beings with families, health problems, and dreams too. They’re not political bullets to be used up in this weird culture war some are waging against the majority in this country. We could all benefit by keeping this perspective.

Last edited:
CNN has an article this morning proclaiming the economy isn't as bad as you think. There are four states who have fully regained the jobs lost during the pandemic! Of course every single one of them has a Republican governor. The article goes on to admit the biggest Democrat run states, California and New York, have only recovered 70% and 60% respectively of their pre-pandemic employment levels but at least we have a roadmap now: vote Democrats out and this pandemic is done!!!! Whoohoo!!! All we need is a good 2022 election with a follow-up in 2024 and once again it will be Morning in America.

Everything about your summary of this is amusing. But it makes sense for you.

It's a bit unnerving to see so many prominent RW figures openly talk about gerrymandering into oblivion, suing, humiliating, imprisoning, and killing their deemed political opponents. Whether we're talking about educators who don't teach revisionist history, doctors who don't believe that vaccines are bad, or politicians who don't believe Jan 6 was a great and glorious day:

This entire thread:

One of Trump's former mouthpieces:

Former Speaker of the House and Fox News regular:

Two popular RW podcasters:

IMG_8434.JPG

Claremont Institute:
Let’s be blunt. The United States has become two nations occupying the same country. When pressed, or in private, many would now agree. Fewer are willing to take the next step and accept that most people living in the United States today—certainly more than half—are not Americans in any meaningful sense of the term.

I don’t just mean the millions of illegal immigrants. Obviously, those foreigners who have bypassed the regular process for entering our country, and probably will never assimilate to our language and culture, are—politically as well as legally—aliens. I’m really referring to the many native-born people—some of whose families have been here since the Mayflower—who may technically be citizens of the United States but are no longer (if they ever were) Americans. They do not believe in, live by, or even like the principles, traditions, and ideals that until recently defined America as a nation and as a people. It is not obvious what we should call these citizen-aliens, these non-American Americans; but they are something else...

Practically speaking, there is almost nothing left to conserve. What is actually required now is a recovery, or even a refounding, of America as it was long and originally understood but which now exists only in the hearts and minds of a minority of citizens.

The more **** I see about the collapse of our way of life and the bastardization of our political system, the more I kind of wish somewhere like California or Texas would secede and give people a secondary choice of countries to live in. Imagine American, alongside the Republic of Texas and the Republic of California as separate countries. That would be a shake-up for sure.

I see Breyer is retiring at the end of the term in June. I'm not surprised as they'll want to lock up a progressive voice for the next 25-30 years or more for sure.

I see Breyer is retiring at the end of the term in June. I'm not surprised as they'll want to lock up a progressive voice for the next 25-30 years or more for sure.
He’s also old as hell. He should’ve retired a long time ago. He’s 83

I would actually prefer the SC to not have lifetime appointments. I'm not sure what the 'right' length is, but don't think it should be for as long as they want.
I would do 10 year terms and prefer the SC to be expanded to something like 21 justices. Any given case would receive a randomized 9 justice hearing.

That would fulfill 3 things:
1. Ease the pressure on presidential elections. How many Americans might vote differently if they knew they weren't electing SC justices too? Would Trump have even been elected if there wasn't so much pressure to elect him for the SC? There wouldn't have been any point in obstructing Garland if he had been just filling 1 of 21 instead of 1 of 9.
2. De-politicize the court. Even if you had a conservative majority, the randomized 9 justice hearing would leave the court less politicized as it is today. Now? With it being 6-3, we know the outcomes of most cases before they're even heard.
3. Lead to better justice. Right now the 6 justices are nothing more than arms of the far right. There's a lot of nuance when it comes to abortion. But they aren't going to deal with that nuance. They want to retain all the gifts, speaking invites, and privilege of remaining in good graces with their Federalist Society and conservative circles.

I would actually prefer the SC to not have lifetime appointments. I'm not sure what the 'right' length is, but don't think it should be for as long as they want.
I could support 2.5 presidential term appointments, so what, 10 years? And you can only be appointed once. Enough time to learn how it all works, have some impact, and enough time for congress and the presidency to be shaken up a bit between appointments. I do think the SC needs some continuity to be most effective.

I would do 10 year terms and prefer the SC to be expanded to something like 21 justices. Any given case would receive a randomized 9 justice hearing.

That would fulfill 3 things:
1. Ease the pressure on presidential elections. How many Americans might vote differently if they knew they weren't electing SC justices too? Would Trump have even been elected if there wasn't so much pressure to elect him for the SC? There wouldn't have been any point in obstructing Garland if he had been just filling 1 of 21 instead of 1 of 9.
2. De-politicize the court. Even if you had a conservative majority, the randomized 9 justice hearing would leave the court less politicized as it is today. Now? With it being 6-3, we know the outcomes of most cases before they're even heard.
3. Lead to better justice. Right now the 6 justices are nothing more than arms of the far right. There's a lot of nuance when it comes to abortion. But they aren't going to deal with that nuance. They want to retain all the gifts, speaking invites, and privilege of remaining in good graces with their Federalist Society and conservative circles.

I actually like the idea of a lottery-style process for choosing nine out of another number, but we already know that we’d have allegations of fraud and what not just as it’s been integrated into voting by certain individuals.

I don’t think you can de-politicize the court as their past judgments bear future decisions, but would like to see a true moderate court that can be heavy in the middle and lean more vs. the weighted numbers we see today.

I actually like the idea of a lottery-style process for choosing nine out of another number, but we already know that we’d have allegations of fraud and what not just as it’s been integrated into voting by certain individuals.

I don’t think you can de-politicize the court as their past judgments bear future decisions, but would like to see a true moderate court that can be heavy in the middle and lean more vs. the weighted numbers we see today.
Someone else in this forum (don't recall whom) once said 18-year terms, so each President is expected to nominate 2 each term. That seems good to me.

Wow! Great news!

Not when you look at the internal numbers. That growth number was largely fueled by inflation of the currency which the Fed has vowed to end.

You posted a similar line a month or so ago and said your wife worked in finance and was predicting rainbows and unicorns and an amazing economy for 2022. I told you then to wait for the Fed announcement because you weren't pricing in what the Fed will inevitably have to do. Now we have a little better idea and EVERYONE is paring back their estimates for 2022. Is your wife still on the rainbows and unicorns train or is she starting to see what is about to hit?

The Democrats have completely screwed the economy and once that inflation number ticks back down our reality will be obvious to everyone. The stock market already sees it. How soon everyone else sees it is the question. Enjoy that CNN article because I have a feeling the tone out of CNN on the economy is going to change in the coming weeks.

Not really cancelled. Just removed from the curriculum, still in the library.

As a professional educator, do you feel Maus is age-appropriate for all groups 12-14 year-olds?

Mike Peterson, reliably liberal, does not:

I haven't read this book, have you? I'm unfamiliar with Mike Peterson. I'm merely highlighting the irony shown by the same folks who whine about cancel culture.

Not when you look at the internal numbers. That growth number was largely fueled by inflation of the currency which the Fed has vowed to end.

You posted a similar line a month or so ago and said your wife worked in finance and was predicting rainbows and unicorns and an amazing economy for 2022. I told you then to wait for the Fed announcement because you weren't pricing in what the Fed will inevitably have to do. Now we have a little better idea and EVERYONE is paring back their estimates for 2022. Is your wife still on the rainbows and unicorns train or is she starting to see what is about to hit?

The Democrats have completely screwed the economy and once that inflation number ticks back down our reality will be obvious to everyone. The stock market already sees it. How soon everyone else sees it is the question. Enjoy that CNN article because I have a feeling the tone out of CNN on the economy is going to change in the coming weeks.
Yes, in fact, she and her bank absolutely are optimistic about 2022:

Do you know better than JP Morgan Chase? What is your educational and professional background again?

I haven't read this book, have you? I'm unfamiliar with Mike Peterson. I'm merely highlighting the irony shown by the same folks who whine about cancel culture.
I'm not opposed to the sentiment, just saying this may not be the best example of it. Hypocrisy regarding "cancel culture" is certainly rampant.