What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

There was an interview between Bill Maher and the great Ira Glasser who headed the ACLU from 1978 through 2001. It was two old school big ‘L’ Liberals talking civil liberties.
Ira Glasser and which other liberal? I only see Bill Maher there.

Perhaps the 2024 election should really just be decided on a Wipeout-style obstacle course that Biden/Trump have to maneuver through. Rules are simple:

- Each candidate gets four hours to practice the course the day prior to the race
- On Election Day, they each get five attempts through the course. It's televised on every major network for all to see with commentators as picked by the networks
- Fastest time wins the presidency
- In the event nobody finishes the course, whomever got the furthest in the fastest time is declared the winner

All part of my vision to restore lean costs into the election process while also making it fair and transparent.

Perhaps the 2024 election should really just be decided on a Wipeout-style obstacle course that Biden/Trump have to maneuver through. Rules are simple:

- Each candidate gets four hours to practice the course the day prior to the race
- On Election Day, they each get five attempts through the course. It's televised on every major network for all to see with commentators as picked by the networks
- In the event nobody finishes the course, whomever got the furthest in the fastest time is declared the winner

All part of my vision to restore lean costs into the election process while also making it fair and transparent.
Is the problem the candidates? Or is the problem the electorate?

There were 15+ other candidates in 2016 that the electorate could’ve chosen over Trump. Even right now there are some quite capable Republican Governors like Hogan. Yet, they aren’t even talked about because they wouldn’t be able to beat the crazies like Noem and DeSantis. Why does the electorate hate normal candidates so much?

if you absolutely insist on crediting/blaming Biden for the labor force participation rate, you should probably stop, because it's rising again after a steep drop in early 2020, and you wouldn't want to credit Biden with anything.
I don't have any problem crediting Biden for good things that he does. The labor force participation rate is rising and it is because Joe Biden isn't doing anything. Like I said earlier, a houseplant would have done a better job. After Build Back Better went DOA, Biden started to act like a houseplant and things are on the up.

BN-FM648_bkrvfo_DV_20141111155358.jpg

One of the deepest economic recession/depressions in our history was the 1920 depression. The downturn was steeper and deeper than the Great Depression. The Federal Reserve was brand new and had no clue what to do so they did nothing. President Woodrow Wilson had been incapacitated by a stroke and his wife ran the country but she had no idea how to handle the emergency so she too did nothing. The American economy healed itself so quickly and completely that most have never heard of the 1920 depression. Most only think of the economic boom of the Roaring 20's or maybe the 1929 stock market crash when that decade is brought up. When it comes to the economy, being a houseplant is not necessarily a bad thing. What Biden and the democrat majorities in both houses of Congress have done since taking power has been worse than if they did nothing. They can thank Joe Manchin for any positive they can show economically.

As for the inflation caused by the Democrats, that is going to hurt. Contrary to some of the more idiotic outlets, it isn't as easy as fixing the supply chain. Biden and the Democrats are backed into a corner. If they do what it takes to solve the inflation issue it will put the economy into a deep recession unlike anything we've seen since 1981 and the Democrats will be blamed for it. If they don't take the necessary action in hopes of escaping electoral retribution then inflation will rage to the point that the US can't afford the interest payments on the national debt and the Democrats will be blamed for it. The Democrats could not have picked a worse time to take control of everything with a leader about which Obama reportedly said "Don't underestimate Joe's ability to [eff] things up".

I am not looking forward to 2024 one bit - 2022 is going to be an appetizer and we'll see some sprinkles of 'damn the results, here's what we should do', but 2024 is going to be absolutely unbearable.

I have a hard time seeing it as anything but Biden vs. Trump which is disconcerting - I really think DeSantis wants to give it a go, but it's a very delicate balance of trying to claw power and not upset the establishment.

As a nation, we'd be doing ourselves a disservice between picking between someone who would be 82 years old and someone who will be 78. Ideally, I'd like to see Biden cede the nomination to someone else as an olive branch to the next generation and Trump to simply throw his weight behind other candidates just the same, but it's a fools hope.

Hopefully trump dies before then

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I am not looking forward to 2024 one bit - 2022 is going to be an appetizer and we'll see some sprinkles of 'damn the results, here's what we should do', but 2024 is going to be absolutely unbearable.

I have a hard time seeing it as anything but Biden vs. Trump which is disconcerting - I really think DeSantis wants to give it a go, but it's a very delicate balance of trying to claw power and not upset the establishment.

As a nation, we'd be doing ourselves a disservice between picking between someone who would be 82 years old and someone who will be 78. Ideally, I'd like to see Biden cede the nomination to someone else as an olive branch to the next generation and Trump to simply throw his weight behind other candidates just the same, but it's a fools hope.
None of that will happen because it mean the politicians would have to be trying to do what is best for the country and possibly at the cost of their own hold on power. And since holding power is their sole motivation, nothing like this can happen. It is almost like the NBA playing statistica-ball now, the parties go with the simplest path to power, regardless of the actual impact on anything policy-related or what might be best for their constituencies.

I honestly do not see anything wrong with having physical requirements for the job. Lots of jobs have that. At my workplace people need to be able to stand for long periods of time, drive forklift equipment, and lift 50 pounds, all with reasonable accommodation. Why not something like that for the presidency which is a pretty physically-demanding occupation. Must be able to work 20 hours per day, 7 days a week, with long stretches of sitting, standing, and walking. Must be able to withstand the rigors of international travel. Must be able to shovel hundreds of pounds of ******** each day. You know, the basics.

The American economy healed itself so quickly and completely that most have never heard of the 1920 depression.
I doubt 18 months seemed all the quick to the people going through it.

Looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recessions_in_the_United_States, outside of the Great Depression, it was the longest (tied with the Great Recession) we've had since 1905. It's an odd choice to brag about. Interestingly enough, it also followed on the heels of a major pandemic.

As for the inflation caused by the Democrats,
Inflation started to rise in March 2021. What actions do you think the Democrats under took in those two months that contributed to the March 2021 inflation rate?

Inflation started to rise in March 2021. What actions do you think the Democrats under took in those two months that contributed to the March 2021 inflation rate?

This is what they did.

FRBDATARWL.jpeg

This used to be the definition of 'inflation'. Prices of things rising and falling were the effects of inflation. That has long since changed and now inflation is the prices of things rising and they've renamed this to 'quantitative easing'. Spiking the M2 money supply and depressing the value of the dollar are so closely related the definitions can be swapped with no one noticing. It isn't milk and it isn't boats off Long Beach harbor or trucks in Canada. It is stimulus under names like The American Rescue Plan that passed the House with ZERO republican votes.

Last edited:
This is what they did.

FRBDATARWL.jpeg

This used to be the definition of 'inflation'. Prices of things rising and falling were the effects of inflation. That has long since changed and now inflation is the prices of things rising and they've renamed this to 'quantitative easing'. Spiking the M2 money supply and depressing the value of the dollar are so closely related the definitions of them can be swapped with no one noticing. It isn't milk and it isn't boats off Long Beach harbor or trucks in Canada. It is stimulus under names like The American Rescue Plan that passed the House with ZERO republican votes.
I remember trump passing hella stimulus and wanting to pass even more before he got the boot. Cant remember what party he was a part of though. The democratic one I guess according to your posts.

I remember trump passing hella stimulus and wanting to pass even more before he got the boot. Cant remember what party he was a part of though. The democratic one I guess according to your posts.
It is true that Trump did sign some stimulus bills but they were broadly bipartisan and smaller by a lot than what happened when Joe Biden took office. With the exception of a handful of Republicans who stupidly agreed to the Bipartisan Infrastructure Agreement, the inflation we are seeing is almost entirely the doing of the Democrats. Even the supply chain disruptions are mostly due to state actions taken in blue states like California and New York. I think Utah was the first state in the nation to regain all of its jobs.

This is what they did.
That graph seems to end at the start of 2021. Did you mean, "Here's what Trump did"?

It isn't milk and it isn't boats off Long Beach harbor or trucks in Canada. It is stimulus under names like The American Rescue Plan that passed the House with ZERO republican votes.
The American Rescue Plan caused inflation the very month it was signed, before a single dollar of it was spent? Seriously?

It is true that Trump did sign some stimulus bills but they were broadly bipartisan and smaller by a lot than what happened when Joe Biden took office. With the exception of a handful of Republicans who stupidly agreed to the Bipartisan Infrastructure Agreement, the inflation we are seeing is almost entirely the doing of the Democrats.
Based on a bill they signed, before a penny of it was spent.

Even the supply chain disruptions are mostly due to state actions taken in blue states like California and New York.
Supply chain disruptions are focused in states that most of the supply runs through? Shocker.

I think Utah was the first state in the nation to regain all of its jobs.
What a bizarre random fact to insert.

The American Rescue Plan caused inflation the very month it was signed, before a single dollar of it was spent? Seriously?
Yes and no. Yes it caused inflation but not before a penny of it was spent. The bill was signed on a Thursday and some people had $1,400 ($2,800 for couples) checks in their mailboxes or bank accounts by that weekend. That weekend in mid-March 2021 contributed to inflation.

Yes and no. Yes it caused inflation but not before a penny of it was spent. The bill was signed on a Thursday and some people had $1,400 ($2,800 for couples) checks in their mailboxes or bank accounts by that weekend. That weekend in mid-March 2021 contributed to inflation.
You're funny :)