What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

Who’s going to challenge him?
For someone who seems very involved in the drama of the U.S. political world you haven't fingered the pulse of the MAGA crowd very deeply. They want DeSantis.

Trump could have been 10x as relevant had he simply embraced this fact and put his support behind DeSantis and pretended to be a mentor and advisor to him.

So this is where I'm going to post this. I think it is important, leading up to the 2024 Presidential election, that we remember who we are and what our strengths are as a species. It took a few years for me to process my military experience in the U.S. Navy but I came away with a single lesson that I feel is the most important thing I've ever learned. I learned that I live in a world populated by humans (not Americans, Europeans, Asians, Africans, Middle Easterners, South Americans, etc.). We are all essentially the same. We all ultimately want the same things. I may have this part wrong, but I've come to believe that we all want to live in safety, we all want to provide for the people we care about in the way we are best suited for, and we want to be happy.

For someone who seems very involved in the drama of the U.S. political world you haven't fingered the pulse of the MAGA crowd very deeply. They want DeSantis.

Trump could have been 10x as relevant had he simply embraced this fact and put his support behind DeSantis and pretended to be a mentor and advisor to him.
Haha okay. We’ll see what happens if DeSantis even runs. And once Trump starts insulting his wife, calling out his penis size, and proposes shooting POC, LGBTs, journalists, and immigrants on the spot. MAGA loves cruelty. I’ve seen this movie before. I’m old enough to remember when Trump was losing to nearly everyone early in the 2015 primary.

I don’t disagree with your second point. He’s a malignant narcissist so he can’t plan. He just acts out to solve his immediate need for attention.

So this is where I'm going to post this. I think it is important, leading up to the 2024 Presidential election, that we remember who we are and what our strengths are as a species. It took a few years for me to process my military experience in the U.S. Navy but I came away with a single lesson that I feel is the most important thing I've ever learned. I learned that I live in a world populated by humans (not Americans, Europeans, Asians, Africans, Middle Easterners, South Americans, etc.). We are all essentially the same. We all ultimately want the same things. I may have this part wrong, but I've come to believe that we all want to live in safety, we all want to provide for the people we care about in the way we are best suited for, and we want to be happy.

Worthy of it's own thread.

Pelosi not asking for another stint as speaker is good and well overdue. My personal take is that no speaker should serve more than 3-4 terms in such a role. Fresh voices are always needed.

Once they’ve made 100 million in insider trading they should allow other less fortunate in government the same opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once they’ve made 100 million in insider trading they should allow other less fortunate in government the same opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never heard of a poor politician - I believe they make $174k a year which is good money, but living in a place like DC with a high cost of living doesn't make it quite as enticing. I know some sleep in their offices because of the high cost, but I also believe that there's a lot of money under the table these guys get through lobbying efforts and any joe schmo with a check and a 'cause' that you just know goes unreported.

I've never heard of a poor politician - I believe they make $174k a year which is good money, but living in a place like DC with a high cost of living doesn't make it quite as enticing. I know some sleep in their offices because of the high cost, but I also believe that there's a lot of money under the table these guys get through lobbying efforts and any joe schmo with a check and a 'cause' that you just know goes unreported.
Ya I was being sarcastic because it should be illegal for these corrupt politicians to be making millions doing insider trading like Pelosi has obviously done. They did sign a bill back when Obama was president that required better reporting and more restrictions, but they quietly repealed or amended it a year later.

Hippie. :)

McConnell voted to block the Respect for Marriage Act on Wednesday—a bill that protects some rights for same-sex and interracial married couples—despite being in an interracial marriage, himself. McConnell is married to former President Trump’s Secretary of Transportation, Elaine Chao, the first Asian American woman ever to serve in a presidential cabinet.

Nonetheless, the Senate voted to end debate on and advance the Respect for Marriage Act by a filibuster-proof 62-37 margin, which included 12 Republicans.

In addition to protecting presently legal same-sex and interracial marriages, the Respect for Marriage Act grants significant leeway to faith-based groups to discriminate against same-sex couples to their hearts’ content, prompting even the literal Mormon Church to back the bill.

There are a lot of reasons McConnell might have benefited from voting yes purely out of self-interest, but it turns out the bill’s symbolic support for same-sex couples was just too much for the Kentucky Senator. Maybe Ben Shapiro’s recent sermon about how aliens in outer-space surely oppose same-sex marriage really got to him?

You almost have to wonder if far-out, extremist stances like still being against same-sex and interracial marriage are part of the reason McConnell retained his title as Minority Leader this election cycle

One of those things where the conversation is trivial and fun in a goofy kind of way, but not something you want for a stump speech. This is a convo you have with your tipsy uncle after Thanksgiving dinner when you're too full to move off the couch.

It will be interesting to see who can get their turnout into high gear. With D's controlling the Senate, will that depress R turnout especially with other races off the table?

One thing is for sure, the additional millions going towards attack ads sure could have been used towards other purposes.

Its insane that walker even has a chance to be an elected official to any office in the entire country. Voters have lost their damn minds.

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm peeling off the "Lions not Sheep" sticker on my car to make room for my new "Werewolves not Vampires" sticker.
LOL.
On another note, I just read that lauren boebart won her election (well kinda. Her opponent condeded even though its still EXTEMELY close and votes are still being tallied). I read a week or so ago that she was going to lose. Stop The Steal!!!!!!!!

Oh weird.

Crime ended once the midterms ended. Funny how illegal immigration and crime seem to always rev up right before an election and then end as soon as the election is over.

69BB23F6-0C26-43F4-B298-16B0576D4462.jpeg

Isn’t it funny how Fox News always manufactures a moral panic to keep its voters engaged, CRT, ANTIFA, trans swimmers, kitty litter, masks, vaccines, groomers, etc and then drop it as soon as it becomes stale? They’re not actual issues that need resolving. They just need to keep voters angry and engaged.