What's new

The case for D’Angelo Russell....

They may not want him long term, but there's no way they're going to let him walk for nothing. I'm sure the Nets will match any offer that comes his way. Honestly I like the idea of getting him, I just don't think it's going to happen. Maybe they'll trade Dinwiddie to try and go after a max player, that would make more sense for the Jazz.

I didn't dig too deep, but it looks like they have almost 81mil on the books for next season and the salary cap is 109mil. Also holy **** like half of their salary right now is in dead money. Spotrac says they have 28mil in practical cap space, but I dunno if it depends on their draft pick and if they re-sign Oubre or whoever.

They have a high pick coming and will cost them 7-9M in space... if they waive all their guys they have caphold for then they have minimum cap holds that eat up some space. They functionally have no space.

Russell is worth the max, but only for a few teams. With the salary cap spiking, getting him on a max this year won't really be that bad. $27.5 would only end up being less than 25% of a team's salary in 2020-21. And if he is a bonafide starter and only 23 years old, he is worth the contract.

Just look at Otto Porter. They guy is a disappointment and a 3rd option on that team yet there were still people who wanted him. Same could be said for Harrison Barnes who is still on one of those big deals.

We were willing to give up two starters and a first rounder for a 30+ year old guy who makes a lot more than Russell would on a max deal. Conley is better, but we are just talking about paying Russell much less the assets surrendered.

The more I think about it, the more this idea intrigues me. A 23 year old All-Star for $27 million per year? Idk who the Nets would be targeting in Free Agency though that would make them renounce him. It helps that two of the biggest suitors for him (Phoenix and Orlando) just made trades that makes me think they wouldn't throw an offer sheet at him.

Why do you say so?

Nets actually seem legit, and he’s a big part of that; see Suns for opposite example. But I won’t pretend I’ve watched him much.
He's just super reliant on his jump shot. Still don't believe in his season overall. Seems a bit flukey, but I could be wrong.
They may not want him long term, but there's no way they're going to let him walk for nothing. I'm sure the Nets will match any offer that comes his way. Honestly I like the idea of getting him, I just don't think it's going to happen. Maybe they'll trade Dinwiddie to try and go after a max player, that would make more sense for the Jazz.
I'd nut my pants in public if the Jazz got Dinwiddie

The more I think about it, the more this idea intrigues me. A 23 year old All-Star for $27 million per year? Idk who the Nets would be targeting in Free Agency though that would make them renounce him. It helps that two of the biggest suitors for him (Phoenix and Orlando) just made trades that makes me think they wouldn't throw an offer sheet at him.

If our FO didn't have such faith and commitment to Exum, I would be willing to go out on a limb for Russell.

If our FO didn't have such faith and commitment to Exum, I would be willing to go out on a limb for Russell.

I'm not sure that the FO sees Exum as the heir apparent and surefire running mate with Mitchell.... I think they do value Dante's defense and impact off the bench though. There's enough minutes to play all three if the Jazz went after someone like D'Angelo