What's new

The Church of Jarrell Brantley

• Thread starter Deleted member 848
  • Start date
Stating common knowledge?

A shooter is not a scorer and a scorer is not a shooter by default.

Royce can make a ton of wide open (because he litteraly cant even shoot or make ones that are defined as open) 3's in a game, it doesnt make him a scorer.
Common knowledge would agree with the fact that making a wide open shot is scoring.

I know what you’re trying to get at but Jesus Christ, dude.

Common knowledge would agree with the fact that making a wide open shot is scoring.

I know what you’re trying to get at but Jesus Christ, dude.
If you know what I'm getting at then why in the hell are you making any kind of deal out of this. Are you trying to be a contrarian?

Royce O'Neale is not a scorer because he shoots well on wide open 3's. Shoot me.

Mis-typed, and Brantley is definitely a player who is more comfortable in ISO. He's a slow it down and dribble it out kind of guy who kind of just does his own thing after throwing his weight around. Not saying that's who he has to be forever, but I just don't think he would be as effective in a role player role (currently) as a guy like Juwan Morgan would.

For some reason people can't take any information from me without turning it into some big argument or how I'm being a contrarian, so take what Andy Larsen had to say about him in his article he wrote a few days ago...

"Brantley is an oddball, but a talented one. He stands at just 6-foot-5, but at 250 pounds, is the heaviest player on the Jazz’s roster, weighing more than even Rudy Gobert. But despite his size, Brantley is a talented dribbler and distributor, with impressive athleticism to boot. His leaping ability makes him capable of highlight-reel dunks, blocks and rebounds.

Where Brantley needs to improve to make the NBA is in his tactical discipline. He fouls too frequently defensively, and doesn’t always have the know-how to operate in a structured offensive system. It’d also be nice if his 3-point shot went in at a higher clip. Still, he’s been an impact player in the G League, and could be in the NBA one day."

On the same page as Cy with Brantley and Morgan assessment. But what I really liked about Brantley tonight was that he produced within the offense better than I've seen before.

So I need to agree to Royce being called a scorer to not be a contrarian?
Just to add a little fuel to the fire, your comment that started this little blaze was "He can't score." This suggests not that you were arguing that he's not a "scorer" but that scoring a goal (in any fashion, including via shooting a field goal) isn't something he can do.

On the other hand, I think in order to maximize Royce's opportunities for scoring he should be played with lineups that will optimize the shots he is best at, which are wide open threes. These shots are probably more available to him when he is playing with the starters.

Just to add a little fuel to the fire, your comment that started this little blaze was "He can't score." This suggests not that you were arguing that he's not a "scorer" but that scoring a goal (in any fashion, including via shooting a field goal) isn't something he can do.

On the other hand, I think in order to maximize Royce's opportunities for scoring he should be played with lineups that will optimize the shots he is best at, which are wide open threes. These shots are probably more available to him when he is playing with the starters.

Playing with both Mudiay and Clarkson who can penetrate off the dribble should open up opportunities for both Royce and Niang. With those four as our bench rotation, the weak link is really the center position. We need a rim protector, especially because Royce is the only good defender.

Playing with both Mudiay and Clarkson who can penetrate off the dribble should open up opportunities for both Royce and Niang. With those four as our bench rotation, the weak link is really the center position. We need a rim protector, especially because Royce is the only good defender.
We we need you to clarify if he “plays defense” or if he is a “defender”. Just because he guards other players doesn’t make him a “defender”.

So I’m just curious, why haven’t some of our G-League players been given any burn in real NBA games? It’s not like Green (now waived), Davis, Bradley (in the doghouse), and Niang are tearing things up. I see threads about obtaining players like Noah and Faried. Why not try our own bullpen first?

If Brantley ever worked out to the degree Millsap did it would help the Jazz ALOT, especially considering out weaknesses at the moment. But obviously that was an outlier extraordinary 2nd round pick success story.

If Brantley ever worked out to the degree Millsap did it would help the Jazz ALOT, especially considering out weaknesses at the moment. But obviously that was an outlier extraordinary 2nd round pick success story.

Unlikely, Millsap was already a very good NBA player at 23.

Unlikely, Millsap was already a very good NBA player at 23.

He developed a lot, actually. As a rookie and sophomore, Millsap was mostly an energy player who scored off of rebounds and putbacks. He didn't really have a handle or shooting range for several years. Brantley is actually more skilled than Millsap as a rookie, but he doesn't play as hard.

That's why his game against the Miami Heat in 2010 was such a coming out party. Millsap hadn't hit a 3 before during that season, and might have had like one made 3 in his entire career up to that point.

Last edited:
I saw Sap play several times in college and I believe he led the nation in rebounding for three consecutive years. He was/is a hard worker. The Mailman is proud of him.

I saw him too. It was obvious he was an nba player. I was so excited when we drafted him. I expected big things