What's new

The Cultural Factors Driving America's Departure From Reality

....I think it will work itself out. For instance, [MENTION=14]colton[/MENTION] seems to speak/think an interesting creole semantic dialect that is becoming more common.

not sure about this, but it's an interesting thought to ponder

...Fox News and its angry men and women in short skirts and low cut tops have been a successful investment in winning over a significant portion of the population into believing the fox narrative.

A lethal combination of race, religion, anger, boobs, and paranoia is tough to resist.

sad but true for many of us - especially the boobs and paranoia

I say boat describe the boat you picture.

sort of a tugboat, like the happy one in the children's story

I think it will work itself out. For instance, [MENTION=14]colton[/MENTION] seems to speak/think an interesting creole semantic dialect that is becoming more common.

Come again? Did you tag the wrong poster, perhaps?

Come again? Did you tag the wrong poster, perhaps?

It's still, may always be, a broken thought that I have been mulling over. I don't want to say that I'm talking out of my *** but I'm at least talking out of my armpit.

I did mean to mention you. It's a compliment. I think that when you speak you are more often than not understood. It's kinda like the news anchor accent that was developed early in broadcasting that has become the defacto American accent especially in younger cities in the west.

It's still, may always be, a broken thought that I have been mulling over. I don't want to say that I'm talking out of my *** but I'm at least talking out of my armpit.

I did mean to mention you. It's a compliment. I think that when you speak you are more often than not understood. It's kinda like the news anchor accent that was developed early in broadcasting that has become the defacto American accent especially in younger cities in the west.

OK, thanks. I try hard to be understood. But what does that have to do with creole?

OK, thanks. I try hard to be understood. But what does that have to do with creole?

I was searching for the right words to express my thinking. A creole language develops out of more than one language usually preceded by a pigeon language. I think something very similar is happening in English semantically. Communities have become less insular, information and opinion more broadly shared. People who have different ways of thinking are more likely to communicate with one another.

This is why I brought up the boat question. Boat is a word that represents a concept. For me having first witnessed the concept likely on a beach in Cali, boat is rooted in the concept of a sail boat. For my wife it was probably on a lake or pond in Maine, thus canoe. My daughter a reservoir in utah, thus a motorboat. We can use more careful language but if one was to say simply "boat" to all three we would all think of a concept that was related but that was also very different and that conveys different emotions and imagery. If we think of another word that we all use like "truth" it is probably similar. If we could descride that for a number of people as we did boat I suspect that your version would be more intelligible/acceptable and less contradictory to more people's version than mine would.