What's new

The elephant in the room (Rudy Gobert)

People bringing up Rudy’s supposed playoff defensive failures is like people thinking bringing up LeBron having the most NBA finals turnovers is some kind of own.
Except LeBron has 4 championships and Rudy has never even been to the WCF and has regularly been played off the court by scrubs including Bertans and Mann.

Except LeBron has 4 championships and Rudy has never even been to the WCF and has regularly been played off the court by scrubs including Bertans and Mann.
The point being made was perhaps a bit too deep for you to catch so I'll spell it out: people criticize LeBron for having more turnovers in NBA finals history than anyone. That's not an indictment on LeBron... it's a testament to the volume of games and minutes he's played in the finals... because he's often in the finals. Vince Carter has a lot less finals turnovers, as does Tracy McGrady, Gilbert Arenas, Monta Ellis, Rashard Lewis and Zydrunas Ilgauskus. Those guys must be better. Dante Exum has never missed a game-winning shot. Ever. Yet Stephen Curry has missed tons of game-winning shots. Makes much more sense to put the ball in Dante's hands, right?

I was going to spell this out more specifically where this was headed, but I'm hoping with me laying out the pattern for you that you can fill in the blank on what this means with regard to Rudy Gobert's supposedly playoff defensive failings.

The point being made was perhaps a bit too deep for you to catch so I'll spell it out: people criticize LeBron for having more turnovers in NBA finals history than anyone. That's not an indictment on LeBron... it's a testament to the volume of games and minutes he's played in the finals... because he's often in the finals. Vince Carter has a lot less finals turnovers, as does Tracy McGrady, Gilbert Arenas, Monta Ellis, Rashard Lewis and Zydrunas Ilgauskus. Those guys must be better. Dante Exum has never missed a game-winning shot. Ever. Yet Stephen Curry has missed tons of game-winning shots. Makes much more sense to put the ball in Dante's hands, right?

I was going to spell this out more specifically where this was headed, but I'm hoping with me laying out the pattern for you that you can fill in the blank on what this means with regard to Rudy Gobert's supposedly playoff defensive failings.
I'll give you another one, outside the basketball world:

When Bill Clinton was going to have open-heart surgery, they were selecting the surgeon for the job. They found one guy with the most experience with this condition but ended up eliminating him because he had more malpractice cases against him and went with someone else. This was the wrong decision. Why?

Maybe that's too vague.

Your local ICU doctor has had multiple patients die in the past month. Your primary care physician likely hasn't. If you end up in the hospital on a ventilator, which of those two do you want taking care of you?

Still too vague?

People admitted to the ICU following a motor vehicle accident are many orders of magnitude more likely to die than those discharged from the emergency department. Make sure to fill out an advanced directive so if you end up unconscious, they know to discharge you home rather than admit you to the ICU.

I'll give you another one, outside the basketball world:

When Bill Clinton was going to have open-heart surgery, they were selecting the surgeon for the job. They found one guy with the most experience with this condition but ended up eliminating him because he had more malpractice cases against him and went with someone else. This was the wrong decision. Why?

Maybe that's too vague.

Your local ICU doctor has had multiple patients die in the past month. Your primary care physician likely hasn't. If you end up in the hospital on a ventilator, which of those two do you want taking care of you?

Still too vague?

People admitted to the ICU following a motor vehicle accident are many orders of magnitude more likely to die than those discharged from the emergency department. Make sure to fill out an advanced directive so if you end up unconscious, they know to discharge you home rather than admit you to the ICU.

mate i think you're preaching to the willfully moronic

I mean Rudy has continuously been played off the floor in the playoffs dude and that has resulted in early playoff exits every year of his career. His style of play isn't built for the playoffs and he will be exposed again in 5 months.

I agree it wasn't working - that was very clear - which is why I was a fan of trading one of the two. The issue was between Don and Rudy. There was no reason to trade both of them.

You had to trade Don because he wasn't resigning. Now you have a lack of offensive firepower around Rudy and the team is mediocre. Better to blow it up

Good lord when Rudy gets exposed in the playoffs y'all gonna melt down again?

The pieces around Rudy are completely different. They have defensive depth and more offensive firepower. How do you go small and guard KAT? Apples and Orangutans.

I mean Rudy has continuously been played off the floor in the playoffs dude and that has resulted in early playoff exits every year of his career. His style of play isn't built for the playoffs and he will be exposed again in 5 months.

Good point except for the fact that he has never been played off the floor.

I agree specially considering that Rudy was playing the best superstar, shooter , defender, passing guy in the league Don. Still a mistery how Rudy failed so much playing with such a perfect player :)

The pieces around Rudy are completely different. They have defensive depth and more offensive firepower. How do you go small and guard KAT? Apples and Orangutans.
Easily, you just spread them out and force KAT to guard the periemter, which he sucks at. Minny is overrated asl and will get eliminated early, guaranteed.

Easily, you just spread them out and force KAT to guard the periemter, which he sucks at. Minny is overrated asl and will get eliminated early, guaranteed.

Minny has an elite defense and talented offense. I'm not sure why you are so quick to dismiss them, we have a decent sample size at this point in time. Overconfidence, perhaps?

Minny has an elite defense and talented offense. I'm not sure why you are so quick to dismiss them, we have a decent sample size at this point in time. Overconfidence, perhaps?
Like many people, his identity is tied to his opinion. To defend one he must defend the other. No matter how ridiculous it gets. It's an existential threat. He might be wrong on the Internet. Oh noes!