What's new

The Holy War 2017

Well ****. It's clear Utah is the better team, better program. The first half was horrible.
BYU needs better linemen, particularly offensive tackles. They can't pick up a blitz to save their damn lives. And the defensive ends were constantly letting Huntley get the edge. Every damn time.
Huntley is really good. Like REALLY good.
BYU in their patented soft zones all night. It was like watching Bronco's defenses again.

Congrats to the Utes players, coaches, and fans. Turnovers and 100 yards in penalties and the loss of a starter were not enough of a gimme for BYU to win. Please just don't rush on the final drive next time. TIA

On a positive note, BYU scored more than I thought they would.

Well ****. It's clear Utah is the better team, better program. The first half was horrible.
BYU needs better linemen, particularly offensive tackles. They can't pick up a blitz to save their damn lives. And the defensive ends were constantly letting Huntley get the edge. Every damn time.
BYU in their patented soft zones all night. It was like watching Bronco's defenses again.

Maybe bronco actually knew defense and knew we never have the size and speed to go man with our dbs.

I'm not saying I like it. It hurt to watch Huntley throw over the middle or hit a seam any time he wanted.

Back from the game.. obviously it was a very "meh" game. Like no emotion from either fan base after the game walking out of the stadium, it wasn't anything special. I was impressed with BYU's defense, but man their offense is terrible. I honestly feel like we're about on par with the Utes of 2012-2013 at this point... a decent team with a terrible offense, but a defense that is legit and can keep us in almost every game. Hopefully the recruiting with Kalani continues to pick up, because it's obvious that Bronco's inability to recruit is really hurting us in games like this.

Also, I appreciated this thread as a decent place to talk about the game.. thank you guys for being much more respectful than other places on the internet (I'm looking at you, overly-emotional Cougarboard and Utefans.net). I'm optimistic about this rivalry moving forward, because barring implosion by BYU, you guys still aren't good enough to blow us out in a normal game. Obviously you're the more talented team at this point, but I really don't think the gap is quite as big as you guys think at this point. Good luck the rest of the way.

Man, about as frustrating as a win could possibly be. Everytime I thought Utah was about to put it away, some type of negative play would happen.

One again, BYU's fantastic front 7 kept a score close. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with what Sitake is building defensively.

Utah made dumb coaching decisions and once again, the penalties are just ridiculous. By far the biggest bright spot of the night for me was Tyler Huntley. I thought the kid could be good. Now I'm wondering if he might end up being great. He accounted for nearly 400 yards of total offense as a true Sophmore, playing in his first rivalry game, on the road. Let that set in for a second. Seriously.

This thread was fun and stayed relatively civil. Good luck to BYU fans the rest of the way. See you again next year for another game that will probably be equally frustrating for both sides yet again...

Ugly game. BYU never seemed in it, and Utah was playing against themselves the entire game. The penalties are getting ridiculous for the Utes. That's back to back games with 100 yards in penalties. One more week left to clean that up...

Huntley looked much better in week 2. He wasn't skying the long throws and was making all sorts of plays with his feet. Kyle/Taylor needs to let him loose.

Congrats to the side with the biggest man berries. Small berries have been a medical impairment for many years now among one side with girlish features. I won't add spoiler to say which side.

I like Huntley too.

Bah, Utah played like crap. They dominated the entire game but kept stopping themselves from scoring. Should have been a 3 TD win.

But I'll take 7 in a row and 12 out of 15.

Bah, Utah played like crap. They dominated the entire game but kept stopping themselves from scoring. Should have been a 3 TD win.

But I'll take 7 in a row and 12 out of 15.
BYU played like crap imo

BYU played like crap imo
Utah penalties and the unforced Fumble kept BYU in that game. Utah basically gave BYU one TD on that unforced Fumble and stopped their own drives with penalties on at least 3 different occasions. I really am unimpressed with Mangum and BYU's offense. The scheme was boring and the line was terrible. I'm not sure it was BYU playing bad as much as they just aren't very good on offense. Utah just seemed to keep stopping themselves at critical points and very possibly could have lost a game they controlled because of stupid mistakes.

It never really felt like BYU had a chance, until that Huntley fumble changed momentum and then the game ended up being only a 6 point victory.

Utah penalties and the unforced Fumble kept BYU in that game. Utah basically gave BYU one TD on that unforced Fumble and stopped their own drives with penalties on at least 3 different occasions. I really am unimpressed with Mangum and BYU's offense. The scheme was boring and the line was terrible. I'm not sure it was BYU playing bad as much as they just aren't very good on offense. Utah just seemed to keep stopping themselves at critical points and very possibly could have lost a game they controlled because of stupid mistakes.

It never really felt like BYU had a chance, until that Huntley fumble changed momentum and then the game ended up being only a 6 point victory.
That's my point.
Utah put up all kinds of yard, and first downs and shut down byu offense.

So based on that alone utah didn't play bad imo. They were great in many ways and not so good in other ways.
Byu on the other hand was just bad. Couldn't do anything on offense and couldn't stop the utes either.

If the utes didn't have penalties or turnovers and scored in the red zone every time they got there then that would equal a fantastic, near perfect game and complete blowout. But they did have penalties and turnovers and settled for too many field goals so they weren't fantastic or perfect. But they still had many many good things happen in the game so that means they didn't play like crap imo.

Pretty good tuneup game for us. Did everything it was supposed to do. Exposed a few more weaknesses and things that we need to work on while also giving us an opportunity to get more used to the new offense. All in all, it could have been a lot better, yes, but it also could've been a lot worse for us.

I'm pretty excited about Tyler Huntley.

BYU will be fine. I know it's a disappointing loss but it wasn't altogether unexpected.

Man, about as frustrating as a win could possibly be. Everytime I thought Utah was about to put it away, some type of negative play would happen.

One again, BYU's fantastic front 7 kept a score close. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with what Sitake is building defensively.

Utah made dumb coaching decisions and once again, the penalties are just ridiculous. By far the biggest bright spot of the night for me was Tyler Huntley. I thought the kid could be good. Now I'm wondering if he might end up being great. He accounted for nearly 400 yards of total offense as a true Sophmore, playing in his first rivalry game, on the road. Let that set in for a second. Seriously.

This thread was fun and stayed relatively civil. Good luck to BYU fans the rest of the way. See you again next year for another game that will probably be equally frustrating for both sides yet again...

First we could've used Huntley over the last two years. Lol. The penalties will probably drive me bonkers.

On a side note. Loved the holding call on the qb. I'm sure it was a mistake, happens all the time, just never seen it called on the qb on a pass down field. How in the hell does that happen. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk