The Holy War 2017

Jason=Utes
Colton=Cougars
Bronco70=Utes
JazzSpazz=Cougars
Stoked=Don't know for sure, but probably more Utes than Cougars
Moevillini=Neither (Illinois)
One Love= New Zealand
You could even add kicky if you wanted. Though with his anti-Mormon leanings, it won't help your cause.

Pretty stacked mod panel. Bitch harder, please.
But he got a warning bro! A warning! A huge injustice has happened to the kind innocent Saint naos of jazzfanz. He has been victimized by the modstapo!!!

I've never had a run in with a mod in here, they seem pretty unbiased. Naos' warning was still a bit nit-picky though.

Hey, do you guys put 'Message Board Moderator" on your resume's and/or Tinder profiles? That would be sweet af.

Win or lose, me viewing this thread after the game:

200.gif

Just under 24 hrs from kickoff. I'm bummed out about such a late start. By Friday, every aspect of the game has been over analyzed and beat to death. The sooner this gets over with, the better. In the meantime, here's some friendly advice for both fan bases should your team win or lose tomorrow night:

If you lose:

BYU fan: It's just 1 year closer to your next win over Utah. Even if Ute fans are right and the gap is widening, you're gonna win one of the next few games. It simply can't go on forever.

Ute fan: If we somehow lose this game, as bad as that would hurt, I need you to suck it the **** up and take it like a grown *** man (or woman). I'd take winning 6 outta 7 rivalry games every day of the week. Also, if Utah goes on to play well in-conference this year, a loss to BYU would literally cost the Utes NOTHING as far as their overall season is concerned.

If you win:

Ute fan: Enjoy it for the entire week, revel in the fact that you have bragging rights for 12 more months, and then get ready to move on. Sure it will be great to have your 7th straight win in the series, but it's not a conference game and it has little to no bearing on the overall success or failure of Utah's season.

BYU fan: Obviously, be ecstatic that you've finally ended the streak, but also don't forget that you've still lost 6 of 7. Ute fan bravado might drive you crazy, but winning 6 in a row gives them a pretty damn good reason to have been so cocky. Nobody wants to see a bunch of chest pounding from a group that wins 1 game vs the rival that's owned them for the last 15-20 years. Be happy, be proud, and enjoy the hell out of the next 12 months. Just please don't start acting like BYU has turned the tide in the rivalry until you can string 2 or 3 consecutive wins together.

This is where I'm supposed to say that I'm hoping for a good game and that both teams stay healthy. Sorry, but I can't do that. Well, I sincerely hope that both teams come out of the game with no major injuries but I hope it's a terrible game. I want BYU fans turning off their TV's in the first qtr. I hope Utah's got 'em by 5 td's before halftime. I don't want a Ute starter to play a single snap in the 2nd half. I want total devestation.

Just under 24 hrs from kickoff. I'm bummed out about such a late start. By Friday, every aspect of the game has been over analyzed and beat to death. The sooner this gets over with, the better. In the meantime, here's some friendly advice for both fan bases should your team win or lose tomorrow night:

If you lose:

BYU fan: It's just 1 year closer to your next win over Utah. Even if Ute fans are right and the gap is widening, you're gonna win one of the next few games. It simply can't go on forever.

Ute fan: If we somehow lose this game, as bad as that would hurt, I need you to suck it the **** up and take it like a grown *** man (or woman). I'd take winning 6 outta 7 rivalry games every day of the week. Also, if Utah goes on to play well in-conference this year, a loss to BYU would literally cost the Utes NOTHING as far as their overall season is concerned.

If you win:

Ute fan: Enjoy it for the entire week, revel in the fact that you have bragging rights for 12 more months, and then get ready to move on. Sure it will be great to have your 7th straight win in the series, but it's not a conference game and it has little to no bearing on the overall success or failure of Utah's season.

BYU fan: Obviously, be ecstatic that you've finally ended the streak, but also don't forget that you've still lost 6 of 7. Ute fan bravado might drive you crazy, but winning 6 in a row gives them a pretty damn good reason to have been so cocky. Nobody wants to see a bunch of chest pounding from a group that wins 1 game vs the rival that's owned them for the last 15-20 years. Be happy, be proud, and enjoy the hell out of the next 12 months. Just please don't start acting like BYU has turned the tide in the rivalry until you can string 2 or 3 consecutive wins together.

This is where I'm supposed to say that I'm hoping for a good game and that both teams stay healthy. Sorry, but I can't do that. Well, I sincerely hope that both teams come out of the game with no major injuries but I hope it's a terrible game. I want BYU fans turning off their TV's in the first qtr. I hope Utah's got 'em by 5 td's before halftime. I don't want a Ute starter to play a single snap in the 2nd half. I want total devestation.
Good post.

As for myself, if byu loses then I will probably just come in here and post a poop emoji or something.

If they win then I will probably just talk about what I saw in the game good and bad from byu perspective and probably give plenty of props to utah for the good things I saw from their team as well.
I won't be beating my chest or anything.

An interesting and kind of crazy stat I heard on the radio: 16 of the last 19 games in this rivalry have been decided by a touchdown or less.
I wonder if there is any other rivalry in the country that could claim the same.
Nice stat. I had actually just decided that I was going to post my prediction that the game would be decided by a touchdown or less. My head says Utes but my heart obviously says Cougars... so let's go with heart and predict 20-17 for BYU.

I think if you could get BYU fans to be 100% honest, the reason they don't want to go to a G5 is that it makes it look as if Indy didn't work and quite honestly, that's a bad look.

I get it. You'd have Ute fans lining up from here to Christmas crowing about the fact that you guys had to pull the plug on independence. The sad thing is, if it's pride keeping BYU from going back to the G5, that's probably a big mistake. I'd like to think of myself as a pretty rational sports fan and I just can't see the downside to BYU getting back in a conference, still playing 4 P5 games per year, and getting a shot at a conference crown and better bowls.
Uh, no, that's not it.

100% honest reasons: BYU is currently considered P5 equivalent by essentially everybody. They can give student athletes full cost of attendance scholarships. They are on national TV a ton. And most years it's looking like they can create a tough enough schedule that they'd actually have a chance of going to the playoffs if undefeated. If possibly undefeated two years in a row, then that becomes a near certainty. All of those things would go away, with a corresponding HUGE hit to recruiting, if BYU were to go back to a G5 conference.

And it's laughable that Ute fans think that's somehow in BYU's best interest.

Pretty sure Jason is a Ute fan, fwiw. But I could be wrong.

Jason, sorry to call you out here but as recently as 6 years ago Jason had BYU season tix.

He's a turncoat. :)

And he's welcome to the dark side!!!!

You guys are getting way worked up. Awesome! I hope it's a very entertaining game!

Uh, no, that's not it.

100% honest reasons: BYU is currently considered P5 equivalent by essentially everybody. They can give student athletes full cost of attendance scholarships. They are on national TV a ton. And most years it's looking like they can create a tough enough schedule that they'd actually have a chance of going to the playoffs if undefeated. If possibly undefeated two years in a row, then that becomes a near certainty. All of those things would go away, with a corresponding HUGE hit to recruiting, if BYU were to go back to a G5 conference.

Colton, even if I disagree with what you're saying, I still think it's an interesting conversation. And while you may think my opinion is "laughable" because I think BYU's better off as a G5, I question some of your logic:

- Recruiting. You say BYU would have a "HUGE" hit to recruiting if they went back to a G5. That would imply that BYU had a "HUGE" increase in recruiting after becoming and Independent and I don't think that has been the case. I believe somebody in here posted recruiting rankings over the years at some point last season and if I remember correctly, BYU was hovering around
the same general area pre and post independence. Also, we keep hearing the narrative that BYU will be at a disadvantage to Utah recruiting wise until they join a P5 conference. I'm sorry, but independence has not been some sort of recruiting boon for BYU and while its just my opinion, I feel pretty certain that if BYU joined the AAC and played a yearly OOC schedule that looked something like: Utah, Mississippi St, Michigan St, and Boise State, they'd be able to maintain the level of recruiting that they currently enjoy. Heck, I could probably even make the argument that a strong OOC and playing in the AAC could actually improve recruiting thanks to yearly games vs schools in Texas and Florida.

- You point out that BYU is on national TV "a ton" as an Independent. You do realize, that's not going to change if BYU were to go G5, right? BYU is a big enough entity that they could tell ANY G5 conference in the country that the only way they join the conference is if they're allowed to keep their own TV deal with ESPN that's currently in place for BYU home games. You act as if going G5 comes at the cost of losing TV games and TV money but it's not an either/or argument.

- Scheduling: I covered it a little bit with the recruiting but how exactly does BYU's schedule suffer? You guys have indeed improved on your scheduling but still haven't found out a way to avoid making the last 7 games of your schedule an absolute snooze-fest. BYU could still schedule 4 P5 teams, and then have the chance to compete for a conference crown and a possible NY6 bowl. Let's be honest: Any independent schedule that BYU builds is always going to be extremely top heavy, making it that much more difficult to run the table. And going undefeated 2 years in a row with that insanely front loaded schedule? Good luck.

- Full cost scholarships: Probably your best argument for staying Indy. That being said, I could use Boise State as an example here. I think it's fair to say that Boise currently has a better football program and they've done so while being unable to provide full cost scholarships for their athletes. I wont pretend to know the difference in money and perks that a P5 school can offer as opposed to a G5, but we certainly see some G5 schools making it work and some P5 schools unable to capitalize on it.

Uh, no, that's not it.

Lol

no BYU will not make the playoff without a conference title, beating 4 or 5 P5 teams, and ending the season against Hawaii. Srsly Colton I didn't take you for the reefer smoking type. BYU has absolutely no path to the playoff, period.

If you lose:

If you win:

If Utah loses then they are probably gunna suck this year. P5 teams that lose to BYU end the year with losing records. It would be a pretty strong signal that Utah was taking a big step back this year.

Jason=Utes
Colton=Cougars
Bronco70=Utes
JazzSpazz=Cougars
One Love= New Zealand
You could even add kicky if you wanted. Though with his anti-Mormon leanings, it won't help your cause.

But he got a warning bro! A warning! A huge injustice has happened to the kind innocent Saint naos of jazzfanz. He has been victimized by the modstapo!!!

Very enjoyable responses, guys. I wanted to earn my warning for real, so thanks for coming through for me.

Jason=Utes
Colton=Cougars
Bronco70=Utes
JazzSpazz=Cougars
One Love= New Zealand

Very enjoyable responses, guys. I wanted to earn my warning for real, so thanks for coming through for me.

If you lose:

If you win:

Solid post.

do 7th Day Adventists typically root for BYU?

Back that stupid **** again, huh? Are you ever going to get to the point with it?
I'll tell you what, next time I'm talking to someone that I know is a 7th Day Adventist, I'll PM you so you can ask all your mundane questions. Sound good?

Back that stupid **** again, huh? Are you ever going to get to the point with it?
I'll tell you what, next time I'm talking to someone that I know is a 7th Day Adventist, I'll PM you so you can ask all your mundane questions. Sound good?

no idea how we got here. Are you saying you're not a 7th Day Adventist? Cuz that's totally what I remember.